Agnostic.com

13 9

LINK Researchers Say Atheists Are Better Sleepers Than Catholics and Baptists | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

It is much easier to sleep when you aren't worrying about "sin" and going to hell.

I remember growing up in a religious family, I had many nightmares. I have not had any since I left religion and trying to be religious behind me.

snytiger6 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

notallatheists! Perhaps I am doomed to forever sleep poorly due to my ex catholicism! πŸ˜› Nah I know the real reason why. heh

I can see how that would be true. Although it hasn't been for me yet. Insomnia 😊

I recommend listening to NPR or the BBC oh really low volume, just loud enough that you8 can listen if you want. I started listening when I experienced a little insomnia. I figured if it didn't help me sleep, at least I'd learn something. It cured the insomnia for me.

@snytiger6 I used to listen to NPR and BBC, but not on really low volume. I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion πŸ˜€

Dunno. When I had to attend church as a kid I noticed that a lot of the old timers managed to sleep through the ministers sermon easily enough.

Well of course...It's way easier to get good sleep when you known there isn't some monster hovering over your body, who can, at any moment, and for any reason, KILL YOU!

Just to be sure... you are talking about god... right?

@snytiger6 lol yes πŸ˜‚

I sleep so well, with no guilt in my mind...only the prostate plays tricks with me!

Yeah, but the real question is: Are atheists better to sleep with...?

I would think so.

Because we are free of sin guilt

You couldn't prove this by me. I have a terrible time getting any sleep. It's been like this for years.

I did have a few spells of intermittent insomnia. Just couldn't get my mind to shut down. I started listening to NPR when I go to bed, figuring if I couldn't sleep I'd at least learn something. As it turns out NPR usually puts me to sleep at night.

I aldo listen during part of the day, but then it keeps my mind engaged.

I know I have slept easier since I decided to be an Atheist. Not to mention the mental issues have decreased.

Yeah, I think atheists would also have a lot less mental illness too.

It’s hard to sleep with a guilty conscience.
That’s what you get with religion, guilt, otherwise the sin they warn about doesn’t actually stick.
Your insecurities magnify fear, fear readily converts to guilt, guilt is perceived as sin, sin brings on hell, hell brings on fear and around and around it goes.

I sleep like a log and before I fall asleep I wonder where my mind will take me in my dreams. And in the morning I am bright eyed and bushy tailed. ready to commence to carpe another deim. 😁

I only wish I had some control of what my dreams would consist of and where my mind would take me in my dreams.

@jlynn37 I'm not saying I have any control, but generally I have, with apologies to Cheech and Chong "Nice dreams". πŸ™‚

showoff! 😟 πŸ˜›

I don't know about you, but I sleep like a log every night xx

I have a difficult time accepting these results. Sleep quality is largely related to physical health. Smokers, overweight people, people with vascular or bronchial issues have a greater chance of sleeping difficulties. It’s a negative feedback loop. The primary issue leads to bad sleep and bad sleep worsens the primary cause and can lead to other causes that lead to even worse sleep.

I think it is the lack of psychological issues related to the guilt, fear and shame religion instills in the minds of believers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:529963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.