Agnostic.com

21 4

Would it be beneficial to separate out the philosophies of religions from the supernatural aspects?

It was a question that occurred to me when looking at a question elsewhere on the site about whether or not Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. My personal take being that it started out as a philosophy of how to live one’s life, but many religious beliefs, dogmas and stories grew up around the original philosophy. It would be easier to separate out the Buddhist philosophy from the religious aspects than with other religions, but I just wonder if it might be beneficial to do that with all religions. What do you think?

snytiger6 9 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are all a waste of time and effort. As soon as anyone interjects faith into the equation the battle is lost.

Good question. I think that the original self-help concepts in Buddhism have already been well separated out, as for example, with so-called "secular meditation" and the scientific studies around the practice. Plus an individual can adopt the Noble Truths or other precepts and follow them personally without ever darkening the door of a Buddhist tempe.

But Buddhism is a bit of a special case. Most religions didn't just add cruft to an essentially philsophical set of ideas, they started out with the premises of religious faith and their very foundation rests on notions such as that there's an invisible bearded man in the sky who cares what you eat for breakfast and where you put your tallywhacker, to the point that he will consign you to eternal perdition if you get it wrong. I don't see how you separate a fundamentally failed epistemology (theory of knowledge) out of that, and get anything useful. The problem with most religions, virtually all really as practiced, is not organizational, but epistemological. They are assertions without substantiation, that demand belief without question.

There are other ways of looking at it. Mythologies are subconscious emissions.
They have to be unraveled through that lens. Like dreams.

@skado Liberal Christianity is somewhat capable of treating Christian myth AS myth, and some folks enjoy that view. I haven't personally had much contact with it, coming as I do from out of fundamentalism. I have only come to partially understand it, courtesy of contact with a local Episcopalian church where my wife volunteered for a time in their food kitchen. I cannot endure their liturgical extravaganzas (at least not on a regular basis), probably because I don't understand them. But I admire the genuine effort they've made to be truly inclusive and accepting of diversity.

@mordant That’s good to hear. I had figured there might be threads of Christianity or at least some individual Christians who took that view, but it’s nice to hear specific accounts. Thanks.
I haven’t found myself wanting to participate in any group practice, but I enjoy picking it apart from the cerebral comfort of my recliner.

It appears to me to be readable at more than one level. The level of ‘belief without question’ is for the majority, who are more likely to relate to it experientially, and only need comfort from their trials and some general guidance in how to navigate life peacefully.

I think an esoteric level exists for those who want to spend more time learning the deeper disciplines. This is the part that is mostly hidden (maybe deliberately?) in metaphor. It appears to be a training course in cognitive development that could help people permanently transcend their psychological “demons”. There seem to be similar traces in all major world religions.

Hello, aren't they all supernatural?

Right you are.

Don't know if you can do that with Abrahamic religions easily. All fairy tales.

I would suspect tht with Abrahamic religions there would not be much left Kind of like hwo George Carlin reduced the 10 commandments down through logical reasoning. Apply rationality to religion and not much will be left.

Yes. I think stinkeye has the right idea. If you compare world religions, a pattern emerges that isn’t easily seen by examining one religion alone.
I would add that the process isn’t so much throwing stuff out as interpreting it properly. A literal interpretation would require you to throw most of it out. A metaphorical reading turns gibberish into science-friendly insights. It’s really about finding peace while you’re alive.

skado Level 9 Apr 8, 2018

I remember reading a lot of Earnest Holmes, who founded the Church of Religious Science, which tried to look for commonalities in religions. I think his error was in keeping teh supernatural stuff in. Still, the similarities between religious teaching of many ancient religions, does all validae the points you made.

@snytiger6 I agree with you about Holmes’ good and bad aspects.

It sounds great but a lot of parts of human nature suck so it probably wouldn't improve the world that much. I agree with sagan when he hopes we will make it throgh this technological adolescence. Hopefully we will make it through without the negatives of human nature destroying us.

I’m not sure it would be as straight-forward as it seems. If we took out the supernatural, we could distill the philosophies of those who wrote the holy books, which would mean… well… they think just like the rest of us. The ONLY thing the supernatural really does, is “justify” our actions/philosophy. And that’s where it gets complicated. The supernatural ‘does’ keep some from harming others, while giving some carte blanche to do whatever they want. So taking that away might backfire on us. That being said, it might not… which is why I’m not sure it’s as straight-forward as it seems.

Yeah, it occurred to me tht instead of life manual to avoid suffering like you woudl ge with Buddhism, with the Abrahamic religions you may end up with something more similar to "The Prince" by Machiavelli... well maybe not that blatant,but still a way to manipulate people to do one's bidding.

Thomas Jefferson went a long way toward doing that with the New Testament.

[en.wikipedia.org]

We already do. It's called atheism.

I think somewhere in the back of my mind I thought ti would be beneficial far more for believers than for atheists or agnostics.

@snytiger6 - It is impossible to reason with unreasonable people. Waste of time.

Would it be beneficial to separate out the philosophies of religions from the supernatural aspects? Oh yes! And Buddhism is the perfect candidate for separation, with its variety of philosophical expressions and local supernatural "incarnations." I was introduced to separating the philosophies of Christianity from the supernatural by a college professor who gave me a copy of Bultmann's "Religion without Myth" when my foray into Christianity was failing. He then led me into my 40+ year study of Buddhism. Invaluable! I thank him to this day!

I do this with all religions, looking for the similarities.

They are all allegorical and removing aspects of their story lines would also remove the proper symbolism. The problem begins when these stories are taken at face value.

I doubt it will work.

worked for me

@skado Cool.

I think it would depend on the person.

I sometimes look at religion as having simple philosophies, which are overly complicated because church leaders (and so called prophets of old) want to justify their positions.Kind fo like complicated bureaucracies to provide simple functions. They ar complicated more to justify the need for the department and organization when the work can be more easily done without all the confusing red tape.

Not really because then all you have is a mixed bag of life advice. Sure there's the golden rule in there , but Paul is also incredibly sexist. There's turn the other cheek, but there's also rules on the proper way to own slaves. You'd have to throw away so much of the source material that it's not worth it. We've grown so much morally as a society since bronze age goat herders wrote these books that I just don't see them as relevant or necessary.

I agree the sexist ideas would need to purged alogn with god and the supernatural stuff.

I don't believe that can be done. If you want to find standards to live by, try reading in the psychology of interpersonal relationship, the issues of values and the self-system, and the existential philosophy.

I think it can be done, but after you strip away god and all the supernatural mumbo jumbo, it would be a very thin volume. Kind o flike how Strunk and White managed to strip all the variable of English grammar and punctuation into their very thin volume of "Elements of Style".

Doesn't the philosophy of pretty well all religions boil down to the golden rule, if you take out the supernatural dogma - treat others as you would like to be treated?

I am an agnostic Christian in that, while seeing the existence of God as highly improbable, I try to lead a life modeled on that of Jesus. I see being a Christian as following Jesus teachings while doubting that he is divine. I have found that, for me, the model of life Jesus exemplified works best, and is the most satisfying.

Jesus was a genocidal maniac. I'll be steering clear of you.

Is this the same Jesus that told slaves to 'obey their masters, even the cruel ones'?

@Silverwhisper Thank you for your comments. Have I never thought it odd? I've never really given it much consideration. As one who doesn't attribute divinity to Jesus, it's irrelevant to me whether or not he existed. What I find guidance in is indeed the stories. Love your neighbor. Turn the other cheek. Blessed are the peacemakers, the meek. Etc. Love your enemy. As you point out, these are universal truths. One of my professors years ago once explained to us that Palestine in the early first cetury would have been an international place with influences of Hinduism, Buddhism, and many other philosophies and "isms". Those who wrote the Jesus stories undoubtedly were influenced by them. Many of Jesus' teachings are valuable for practice regardless of whether or not Jesus himself actually existed in history. Thanks again for your comments.

@Silverwhisper years ago I read a book titled "When Jesus Became God". I wish I could remember it but I was reading a lot of alternative stuff at the time and it seem to have slipped out of my mind. Much of what I read at that time led to my move away from a "life of faith". Even when I was clergy I wasn't a fan of Paul, and i stopped believing in the resurrection in seminary, oddly enough. once again, thank you for your interest in dialog. I hope we can continue our conversation.

@DuchessNyx YES!!!!!YOU GET IT COMPLETLY!!!! Thank you for your comment!

Considering that this would be even the slightest bit realistic on a large scale? Or do you mean on an individual scale? You mean just take something like the Ten Commandments and use that and get rid of all the Jesus has risen stuff?

As an individual, it would be easy to do. You just have to decide for yourself what in the bible would be beneficial philosophies for you to live by. There are definitely some beneficial philosophies in the bible for every day general life.

On a larger scale, first we would have to decide which of them is actually helpful based on perception. That isn't going to be an easy thing to do with so many opinions. Then you would have to convince people that something like the Ten Commandments was even a valid beneficial philosophy by telling everyone who knows about all the violence and harm in the bible that something like the Ten Commandments should even be followed because of the bible's hypocritical nature. Then you would have to get the billions of people who believe all the hogwash in the bible/koran/etc. to agree to either edit it out of future bibles or not to believe it, and that would be impossible considering the thousands of years of indoctrination society has endured, including individual indoctrination through generations of families and their teachings. You also can't force people to not teach their kids what they know either. So it will continue.

I already think many non-fundamentalists already do this on an individual level though. They try to live their life by certain "lessons" in the bible while at the same time not believing in the more idiotic aspects of it.

I think the so called "golden rule" of "do unto others a you would have them do unto you" is one aspect of philosophy which works tihout all the supernatural stuff.

Also, "The love of money is ht eroot of all evil", which i always took to mean that to love money and the accumulation of wealth mor ethan your fellow beings causes peopel to commit acts of "evil."

So, you can take some philosophical bits out and leave god and the supernatural behind. I think it is those few bits of universal human truths buried in all the bullshit that is wht peopel really look for when turning to religion. Too many buy into all the god, and supernatural crap that does with it though.

I like Geroge Carlkin's bit about the Ten commandments, showing how most aren't really needed.

@snytiger6 I was just using the Ten Commandments as an example. I have seen George Carlin's bit on it before. I love Carlin. A man after my own heart. I love how he was unapologetic when dealing with corrupt politicians and the system...and religion.

@snytiger6 The golden rule doesn't work with paedophiles, murderers or rapists.

Do you mean like the underlying differences that distinguish one religion from another?

I mean looking for an underlying philosophy for living that is based on universal human truths rather than on arbritray dictates from a supernatural being or supposed prophet of such a being. Much like Buddhist philosophy can be lived without any religious beliefs.

From the reponses I read so far, perhaps it would only be possible with Buddhism.

@snytiger6 I honestly doubt there are many religions (I agree Bhuddism may be an exception)wherein you can separate the chaff from the wheat, to put it in biblical terms. I tend to believe virtually all church doctrine derives from skydaddy, if you go back far enough. There may still be vestiges derived from some ancient pagan practices, but they've likely been integrated so deeply into the dogma, that most would seem to have by now been the product of "divine inspiration."

What is the pull of religion? I see it time and time again, people bending over backwards to make any excuse to find some place in their life for religion. I don't get it. Are people just lazy?

If you had a thousand bowls of dog crap and one bowl of ingredients for a meal would you take the time to make the meal out of the ingredients of spend your life avoiding the small amout of work and trying to justify eating the dog crap?

Just forget the dog crap and put the effort in to make the meal.

Separating religions form supernatural aspects? Impossible for me. I do not believe in the supernatural because my religion claimed to be supernatural. Have I had any experiences? Yes. It means I cannot explain the phenomena properly. Many others cannot either. To do so it all has to be demonstrable. We cannot just pick and choose beliefs out of ignorance. It would be like playing basketball and picking for your team claiming you will take Spiderman but do not want the Easter Bunny.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.