Agnostic.com

11 8

LINK Catholic Man Sues to Overturn No-Fault Divorce Law After Wife Requests Divorce | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

From the article...

If you’re getting a divorce from your partner, you don’t have to tell a judge why you want it. That’s your business and it’s irrelevant for legal purposes. That’s known as a no-fault divorce (or a divorce due to “irreconcilable differences&rdquo😉. 17 states only allow no-fault divorces, meaning you’re not even allowed to claim a reason for wanting it. Nebraska is one of those states.

But one man is trying to change that, making it more difficult for people to get divorced, all because of his religion.

snytiger6 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is sad and messed up. This is clearly a guy who totally lost it. A desperate attempt to save his marriage. You can't force love...even after 33 years of marriage. And I can understand 33 years is a long time, and being alone again is just horrible. But it's harmful and futile to legally force someone to be with you! Honestly I was laughing because this sounds like a premise of a bad rom-com.
If anything it will drive her away even more. He needs to take her leaving as a sign that something is really wrong and he needs do his best to fix himself. Let her go and get better. Maybe she'll come back, on her own. Highly unlikely, but that's the only slim chance he has of salvaging the relationship.

without any personal knowledge I would speculate that he wants to keep his servant/punching bag/wife under his thumb.

No one should be forced to be with someone against his or her will. This is the same kind of religious laws that several religions want people to follow.

17 states, out of how many? Can you travel to a state with no fault divorce and get a divorce there?

I think they probably can. I hear Reno is the place to go for a quick divorce.

That dude needs to stay out of other people's business.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there before you is the very reason that she wants to divorce him, and he is blind to that reason.

I represented myself and my ex and did our no fault divorce through the state. She gave me that right and we each kept what was ours. It cost us about $200 total and I think that was a filing fee. Much different if you have children.

I did the same thing. No lawyer, no nothing. Easy as pie and that is the way it should be.

I think the Nolo Press prints a book about hwo to file a non-constested divorce.

@snytiger6 I'm sure they do but go to your county seat in the state where you live. You can even do it all online. Download these forms with a complete set of instructions on how to fill them out and how to file. In the end you are in a real courtroom for the real divorce after your filing has been reviewed.

I've never understood why anyone would want to stay married to someone who no longer wants to be married to them.

I would love to know her reasons for divorcing him.

He'll loose. Good thing too.

Well, anybody can sue. Not everybody wins.

Marriage—another outdated construct good only for tax purposes.

Exactly why it is necessary

@koshkamat Exactly why people shouldn't do it.
It promotes religion by rewarding people for entering into a legal contract that
is much harder to get out of.

It is only advantageous tax wise if only one person is working. If both people work then their tax liability is usually higher if they file jointly. Most households with where both partners work, usually file separately. (This is true only in the U.S., I dont' know how tax laws work in other countries)

@snytiger6 There are several credits you lose and other disadvantages when married, filing separately, especially if you have children or own real estate. United States tax laws stack the deck to favor married joint filers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.