Agnostic.com

3 0

I recently purchased a hand-carved mahogany desk with a marble top and this fellow forms the front centerpiece. I should probably know who he is but I ignored Mythology in school. Can you help me out? My best guess is King Neptune.

LovinLarge 8 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it’s Cernanos the "horned god" of Celtic polytheism.

Thank you, I will investigate him!

@Gwendolyn2018 You're right I didn't zoom in close enough to see, he appears to have horns at a glance, but that's wrong. Sorry.

He was God of the Sea, so it could be.

I think you're right, but some one broke the frog sticker off his shaft.

@VeronicaAnn Ok,,,,its called a "signet" or a "trident".

@VeronicaAnn Haha, he's correct. Neptune is typically depicted with a three pronged staff. He simply said it more amusingly.

@VeronicaAnn And "frog sticker" is not slang for a good time.

@PondartIncbendog I guess it could be!

@Amzungu Only if you're from Alabama.

I got out my magnifying glass and the staff is definitely broken off. I'm going to sand it down so I don't get poked with what's remaining. I may have broken it off myself and not even realized it. Many thanks.

@LovinLarge Sand it at an angle to get most surface area. You can glue a plastic spoon in its place?

@PondartIncbendog You're exactly right, I should replace it with something although I would probably break that off too because it's right in the middle where I sit. I'm also thinking about removing the staff altogether.

@LovinLarge Ya can't just take a mans staff away. You already broke his tip off and now you want to take his staff away from him?
He will look like he is playing with himself.
I'm not coming to any of your parties.

@MissKathleen The thing is that the staff is broken on the bottom not the top.

@MissKathleen I just like it because it's so unusual. I can hardly wait to make my Assistant clean it with a q-tip!

@MissKathleen Oregon. Its really smokey here.

@MissKathleen If you look at that ugly mass of brown smoke, I'm in the northern part of it. We were clear yesterday. It snuck up in the middle of the night.

@MissKathleen I don't have an air cleaner.

@MissKathleen Washington wildfire update: 'Super massive' plume of smoke headed for Puget Sound

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.