Agnostic.com

29 8

When someone says they are spiritual and also agnostic-atheist, I always wonder, "Do they believe there is something in addition to or beyond the natural world, like a "spiritual" heaven?" GROG

GROG 6 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, spiritual indicates to me that you have empathy and attempt to understand both yourself and others.
Spiritual in this sense is just another way of saying "social" animal, I'm sure wolves and other social animals feel a sense of spiritualism.
It's this sense of others that lends the dim to imagine a sky daddy, but that's taking crap WAY to far.

Not necessarily any connection to religion.
I was always agnostic, yet I can feel spiritual when looking at a beautiful setting, listening to amazing music . . . anything artistic that grabs my feeling profoundly seems spiritual to me. I have never connected spirituality with religion. When people say 'Awesome' that seems to suggest a spiritual feeling. So spiritual is anything awesome, not something religious that some institution pushes at you.

To me you cannot be spiritual and atheist. Period.

I can and I will. Semicolon. 🙂

@redhog
When I look up spiritual, one of the definitions is:
"of, relating to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal."

When I look up spirit, one of the definitions is:
"an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform."

What about this understanding of spiritual is incompatible with atheism?

I for myself always leave room for probabilities.
Mainly because it's unknown and intriguing to contemplate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534441
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.