Agnostic.com

12 11

LINK No, Amy Coney Barrett Is Not a Humanist - TheHumanist.com

If nominated and approved, Barrett would be the sixth Catholic on the high court. Two justices—Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan—are Jewish, and Neil Gorsuch is an Episcopalian who was raised Catholic. The five remaining justices are all Catholic. In Barrett’s case, it is particularly concerning that both she and her husband are reported to be members of a group called People of Praise, which the New York Times reported “grew out of the Catholic charismatic renewal movement that began in the late 1960s and adopted Pentecostal practices such as speaking in tongues, belief in prophecy and divine healing.”

The group gained notoriety during Barrett’s 20 hearings when it was reported that People of Praise teaches that husbands should have the authority as heads of the household, with men in the group called “heads” while women were termed “handmaidens.” Comparisons were immediately drawn to Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel The Handmaids Tale.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds like she will bring equal representation in bigotry

She’ll make a great judge and it’s likely she will be speedily confirmed.

For a married woman in the People of Praise, her husband is her "head"—he makes the decisions for the family and serves as her moral compass. Total discipline is imposed upon those who submit themselves to their head, and this includes submission of your will, your desire, your actions."

So, shouldn't the Senate actually be voting on Amy Barrett's husband? Apparently, Amy believes in the biblical teaching that women should be submissive to their husband in all matters. Do we want somebody like that to be on our Supreme Court?

She will make Scalia look pretty docile by comparison.

oh gawd... they found a way to make catholicism more loony and far fetched and generally embarassing... I didn't know it could be done but there ya have it! Signed an ex catholic.... may gawd have mercy on your american souls! 😛

From the bible quotes read at me i believe "practices such as speaking in tongues," means that if i address a diverse bunch of people and i speak in Urdu, then English people will hear my words in English, Spanish people will hear me in Spanish, Polish people will hear me in Polish, etc, etc.
When did "speaking in tongues," become brain-dead ululations by self-enraptured idiots?

As to your last question somewhere in the vicinity of 2,000 years ago or more how far does written history go back anyhow? at least that long if not longer, probably longer. 🙄

@oldFloyd Glossolalia dates back to the ancient priests of Apollo. During a ceremony a faithful believer would go into a self-imposed epileptic fit while blabbering infantile gibberish of a one-year old learning to speak. It's important to understand that only those members of unstinting, unquestioning faith could understand what the fuck he/she was talking about.

So am I to understand that this is a way to get a man in the court dressed in womans clothing?

The lower courts are stacked to the Right, it's done.

MizJ Level 8 Sep 25, 2020

Ah so she's a cult member

All theists are cult members and quite a few political activists. Most definitely all trumpsters.

@jlynn37 i mean this in the literal sense. Shes in a catholic subgroup known as People of Praise. A cult.

Fuuuck!

I think it is telling with the catholics on the court, that if 'merca happens to become a theocracy, it will surely be a catholic theocracy and not protestant. Something these theists need to think about in their rush to theocratize 'merca.

Asking theists to think is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

With all those Catholics in the Supreme Court, can Catholic priests once again prey? (Not a spelling mistake)

Petter Level 9 Sep 25, 2020

@K9Kohle789 Should have added "openly" - as in "open carry", "open prey", "open graft", etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:537665
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.