Agnostic.com

16 8

LINK Catholicism Just Fell Apart Because the Vatican Said Some Baptisms Were Fake | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

It seems that, in the waning years of the 20th century, some Catholic churches and priests decided to make a minor change to the wording of the baptismal rite, using the phrase “we baptize” in place of “I baptize” to denote the involvement of the entire parish community in the child’s developing faith — a sort of spiritual version of “it takes a village.”

Earlier this year, though, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (the Inquisition, rebranded) declared that any baptisms performed with that modified formula were invalid: The use of the wrong set of words meant they never really became part of the Catholic Church.

snytiger6 9 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, this is just bat shit crazy!

I have mixed reactions about this. I was baptised Catholic. However I rejected all faiths around age 10. Should I care?

It's all nonsense, whether church sanctioned or not.

@Theresa_N No one here would argue with that.

Arguments about what is proper baptism have been going on for centuries if not millenia. Mennonites argue over whether the water has to be free flowing or not.

Are they trying to drive people off?

I believe it is just a plot to get millions of people to go back to their churches and PAY for a new baptism.

I think we should forget about this silly Vatican pronouncement and concentrate on really important questions, like: how many angels can fit on the tip of a pin?

I can miss spell a web sites name and still get there. Does that mean that God is less powerful than Google?

No, it means he has very mediocre management on his Earth branch.

@Rodatheist Interns... what can you do? It's impossible to get good staff nowadays

Some website buy alternate spelling domain names to increase traffic and make it easier for peopel to find their sites.

@snytiger6 If only God had thought of that?

Wait til people find out about the wafer thing... 😬

Mvtt Level 7 Oct 8, 2020

LOL ,back in the early 60's, when I was about 10 years old, my friends and I 'nicked' a whole box of those 'wafer' things and a dozen bottles of their 'sacramental Plonk ( wine) from the Catholic Church in the neighbourhood, shit, they tasted so terrible even my parent's chickens refused to eat them.
Btw, the wine ain't much better either, tastes more like diluted raspberry cordial mixed with water left over from washing dirt socks and underwear imo, blimey, the plonk was so horrible we couldn't even get the local 'winos' to buy it from us even at our reduced price of 10 pence (10 cents) per bottle.

I wonder if the addition of "under God" renders the Pledge of Allegiance invalid.

That is simply HILARIOUS!

Oooops, yet another failure from the infallible.

Fake baptisms!

At least it was not fake orgasms.

Oh, so touchy, I wonder what Jesus would say?

I'm so glad I decided to be an Atheist. Instead of jumping through the hoops to become an Catholic. Religion is such a waste of time.

And phony also.

I love it when they turn on their own kind.

All religion is fake, so all believers are deluded.

@Thirst2learn Are you following me around just to contradict me?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.