Agnostic.com

20 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have you noticed how many Catholics are on the Supreme Court? Chief Justice John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Sonia Sotomayor and Brett Kavanaugh. If Amy Coney Barrett is confirmed six of the nine justices will be Catholic. Neil Gorsuch, was raised Catholic but currently attends Episcopalian services. Is the USA being run by the Pope?

Yeah, not really worried about either. If either get struck down a stronger bill will be passed into law within days. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if it became an Amendment. I dare the SCOTUS to strike down any of those two. It'll be back like Obi-Wan.

What a bunch of fear-mongering garbage. Obergefell v. Hodges settled that already

Clarence Thomas might not like that, if his marriage were annulled.

I'd laugh.

Here's hoping Donny the Dip-shit gets a permanent, incurable case of Laryngitis, loses the ability to read and write, Oh hang he hasn't got those anyway has he, and suddenly realises that he is Bi-sexual, Gay and a mix of every non-european nationality in the world.

I think they should outlaw marriage altogether. If there ever was a Satan then i surely married his sister.

Nope, sorry BUT I married her, you only got her younger sister, trust me on that one my friend.

I have a hard time seeing marriage as anything but a religious institution. Taken over by the state in order to regulate and control..I will be with who I want to be with, as long as we want. Without the permission of government, or the complication of someone elses personal beliefs,

Let's not forget cohabitation with an unmarried couple living together. In some states those laws are still on the books but they are not enforced. Denying rights to one group will slowly grow to more groups. Where does it stop?

Love all those shirts!

Just goes to show how intertwined religion and fascism are so equally matched!!!

Cult of personality, death cult, and controlled by a group of white men who feel they are superior to everyone even their own families and relatives!!!

The author writes:
"While fewer Christians have a problem with interracial/interfaith couples, those bigots exist. It’s up to our courts — and our legislators — to make sure bigotry has no place in the public square."

I'd add that many Christians (quieter voices, and more liberal) have no problem with gay marriage. Anyway, "bigotry" hits the nail on the head. It's push-back to accommodate bigotry as much as it's legally about separation of church and state.

Isn’t this a sign that they need a wider group of staff? If one’s religious and they decide not to carry out their duties fully because of it? They obviously need to employ others that are able to serve the functions expected of them, or tell people in the job description what is expected of them, so that they are able to resign if they change their minds about doing their job.
To change the role, simply because one person is unable to carry out their tasks, would indicate that there are other factors at play.

@Green_Soldier71 in most places they are different to a legal marriage: [marriage.com]

@Green_Soldier71 , @girlwithsmiles Of course we have non religious marriage in the UK, it is called a civil ceremony and is carried out at a registry office or licenced venue.
Don't confuse it with a civil union which is completely different and at present only offered to single sex couples, but will from next year be generally available to all.
A secular marriage it is an actual legal marriage just without a church or religious sanctification.
Even if you do marry in church there still has to be a secular appointed registrar present (sometimes this is the clergy, but often is not) or else it is not legal.

@LenHazell53 ok, so the humanist marriage is just for humanists, not all non religious people, (who can just get a secular marriage?). It’s all a bit confusing to a layman.

...sounds like first world going backwards, damn 🙄🤐

Blow me Trump, and my brown girlfriend. Can't stop mixing all the race colours, in which turn into brown.

Clarence Thomas is married to a white woman. I doubt he will rule that his marriage is illegal.

dkp93 Level 8 Oct 11, 2020

I used to believe that marriage was only between a man and a woman. For a while I came to believe that same sex people could be together but "we should not call it marriage." As I progressed on I found that people need this in order to draw benefits if one of them died, etc. and it made more sense to me then.

Now let's go full on with this and reveal that the Church did not own marriage until the early middle ages. Your union was your choice and was mostly a recognition that certain people were a couple. People in our past had the same sexuality that we all do today, so where is the big problem?

@DenoPenno why the heck, in this modern world, how far we've come, allow a church and a religion to dominate your likes and dislikes, who you love, who you wish to form a union with??? This is absolutely ludicrous!!! Ffs I cannot still believe that certain states in the USA still doesn't allow for this and still discriminate those who go against the odds. Unimaginable!!!

@DenoPenno...and to favour a xtian religion!!!...when someone mentions the bible, I want to run a mile. Look what happened to South Africa under a so-called xtian govt. Now we same sex marriages, inter-race marriages, atheism and devil worship is legal, actually anything goes now 😂

I'm half asian. I'm fucked.

Scary shit - any way you look at it ,,,,they want the 1950's
BACK ...where only the "elite" succeed !

But it’s not going to happen. These evangelicals know they’re a dying breed. Can’t happen soon enough.

Once the religious have gotten rid of marriage equality and interracial marriage, they will target muslims and islam next.

No shit

Thats what the evangelicals want. A society by their rules. Theyre no better than the Islamics who they say want to impose Sharia Law

God damned religious bigots are bound and determined to push their stupid beliefs down everyone’s throat.😡

It's scary

No judicial decision is going to change the way the country is moving. The religious jerkoffs know their days are numbered. It’s irreversible because millennial’s and Gen. Z just aren’t moving in their direction. This is behavior similar to children who’s mothers won’t buy them something they want.

I'm not exactly certain, maybe it's the cadence of your words but I really like your response. 🤣

@SeaRay215ex I think you are missing that even though the Country is moving in a more secular direction, we will still have to contend with these religious bigots on our courts. Those courts will hold the power to over rule what the people want. Repubs have been court packing for a decade now. All the lower courts and the Supreme Court are full of very far right judges. How do we deal with this fact?

@Redheadedgammy I understand what you mean about the courts. They cannot make us think the way they want. One way to deal with this nonsense is not to give into it. I always wear T-Shirts such as these to show my indifference to this and that I’m not a part of it. This will show them you won’t be cowed. They can’t regulate or tell you not to do that

@SeaRay215ex I admire your passion, but a T-shirt isn’t going to phase these right wing judges. They can’t make us think the way they want, however, they can control what we are allowed to do since they have a majority on the SC. Do we insist that our Democratic Senators do some court packing too?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542687
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.