Agnostic.com

7 10

"If faith is truth without proof, how does anyone come to any conclusion when every conceivable conclusion is just as likely?"

[Partial answer} “Faith,” in other words, has nothing to do with discovering the truth and everything to do with confirming that what you already believe (or what you have been taught) is the truth. As a result, the only possible conclusion is the one you already believe to be true." - Barry Goldberg

[qr.ae]

Daco2007 7 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You start with a false premise, faith is not about truth, it is about belief. There is only one truth. The one that is proven with facts amd evidence. Faith is to believe in something without any evidence, facts or science whatsoever.

That was the point. The QUESTION posed in the article was an attempt to relate "faith" with 'truth." And Goldberg shut him down, brilliantly.

@Daco2007 do you need to go to other people to answer that question?

This is a classic meme and one of the main reasons I do not debate the subject. Believers have no evidence and start out believing anyway so why debate the issue?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

Even the New Testament provides a definition of faith that is amorphous, if not entirely incoherent. The substance of hope and evidence of the unseen are underlying conditions in the minds of the credulous.

Belief in God is just how people try to play God to control other people.
Faith is just rejecting reality as it presents itself in favor of a reality you'd prefer.
I don't have enough time left in my life to entertain such falsehoods.

My personal take on 'faith' as per the religious sense is that is somewhat akin a person suffering from a severe case of diarrhoea and , sarcasm most definitely intended here, that their next fart will NOT be a 'follow-through' one.

I've always thought of faith as believing in yourself or others believing you.

It's always the other guy and not me attitude. If I do it It's right, if they do it It's wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.