Agnostic.com

17 15

Watched, A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. Really enjoyed it. Apparently Mr Rogers believed in God, but he seemed so great, you can’t really hold it against him lols. I wish I had of grown up with him.
Of course Tom Hanks is wonderful, as usual.

#god
girlwithsmiles 8 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was a good movie. Mr Rogers touched the lives of many children (for the better), so I too cannot hold his religious beliefs against him.

I love Mister Rogers, but was a little disappointed in the movie. It was kinda boring.

I guess I had the upper hand, knowing nothing about him made it more interesting viewing 😉

Mr Rogers himself was boring.

Well, he was a minister. He was one of the Christians who really practiced what he preached and believed.

How could you not know he was an ordained Presbyterian minister? Oh yeah, it's because he didn't have to constantly remind everyone every chance he got. He chose to live by them rather than broadcast them.

JimG Level 8 Oct 19, 2020

Because I’m not American and was only introduced to him anecdotally recently, in the scheme of things.

@girlwithsmiles I meant that as I'm really surprised that wasn't mentioned in the movie. I didn't mean to insult you.

@JimG oh I see 🙂 no worries, no insult taken.

Fred Rodgers is the epitome of a true believer. He practiced the teachings of Jesus, was always kind and caring, never sought conflict and was probably the most decent man on television. If all Christians were like him, I'd have no bad word to say about that belief system.

Mmm but unfortunately they’re not. It’s a nice dream, but probably involves a different book, sorry.

I actually got to meet him a few times.
I grew up in Pittsburgh, and that's where that show was filmed.
He would some times visit schools in the area, which included mine.
A really great person..

kapt kangaroo was boring too so are the tele tubbies

I’ve always had a hunch that heaven might be boring!

@girlwithsmiles life is not party or fun all the time boring is a normal part of living

@girlwithsmiles To me being in heaven seems like it would be like being a Borg drone. No self-determination, no independent thoughts, only complete acquiescence and allegiance to the collective and the Borg Queen; or, in this case, god.

The big difference being, at least there is a chance one can be liberated from the Borg and regain one's humanity; once in heaven--that's it--there is no escape.

@Joanne well put.

Apparently Mr Rogers believed in God, but he seemed so great, you can’t really hold it against him

It's not what you believe, but how you act toward other people that matters. I've met dozens of Christians and Muslims and "other" believers in the prison system, and many of them have been decent, friendly, kind people with a sense of humor, willing to help others and looking out for those among them who needed support. And this is a community of convicted felons I'm talking about; I don't usually discuss religion with other staff.

Then again, there are some who wouldn't piss on you to put you out if you were on fire. But that's true anywhere you go, and I don't think either religion or incarceration influences that. Some people are just miserable.

in the world too

Yes, agreed. Just being aware that this is a website for non believers. I work with people of at least 3 religions, and most of them are great.

Everybody needs a Mr Rogers.

I agree we all need to strive to be more like him with or without religion he never preached he just led by example kindness and acceptance

Riiiiiight.....
Well after all it IS a wonderful day in the neighborhood!😀
What a stupid show...even as a child I couldn't stomach it!

Never seen it. Apart from a small snippet where he was being decent to a black man, which was apparently unusual at the time.

it was stupid and boring but it was also wonderful and it taught kindness and acceptance mr rogers had all kinds of friends and he showcased many workers going about their menial jobs with pride that they were necessary to society and one should be proud

@whiskywoman Okay, but since it was stupid and boring I didn't watch as a seven-year-old, so all the 'wonderfulness' was lost on me.

Of course he believed in god, he was a Presbyterian minister. Be rather difficult to be a minister in a particular religion if one didn’t believe in that god. I’ve never met the man, but based on what I’ve read and seen about him, I feel that he’d accept you no matter what you believed.

They didn’t mention that in the movie, but thanks for the info.

I did meet him. And yes, even though he was an ordained minister, He never pushed religion on me, or anyone that I know of. He was all about feeling good about yourself. IMHO a little bit of that is needed these days.

Even as a little kid, I found his show uninteresting. It was too slow and nothing much ever happened. Eventually the trolley would come along and take us to the Kingdom of Make-Believe where nothing much would happen there either. It always just kinda bored me.

Consequently, I haven't been motivated to see the movie.

Great film! IMHO the story was as much about journalist Lloyd Vogel who was filled with repressed rage and was a total cynic, but underwent a transformation through meeting and getting to know Fred Rogers.

Yes I enjoyed it very much. Saw it at the theater. Remember them?

Yes, I remember. Not been post covid though.

Not seen this one yet.

I saw that movie a few months ago and thought it was quite good. It's a little hard to believe someone could actually be that kind and gentle of a person. The world needs more people like Fred Rogers.

The movie was based on an article published in Esquire magazine.

[esquire.com]

Gosh, that’s a long article. Sounds like he was a big believer in god. But effect of the prayer that they talked about at the end sounded like meditation to me.
There’s a lot in that article, thanks.

I rarely place too much credibility in anything out of Hollywood. Perhaps it is based on actual events or persons, but It is just entertainment.

True.

He was a minister but my gripe was always that his persona was unrealistic, milk-toastish unreal.

Yes, the movie hinted to his dealing with darkness, but he refused to answer questions on the subject, preferring to concentrate on others; if the movie is to be believed. My guess is that he possibly never dealt with this; if he couldn’t answer how he reconciled with his dark side.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.