Agnostic.com

38 8

Is an atheist kinder than a believer?
What is your experience?

Wildgreens 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Research on altruism shows lower levels of altruism in children with religious parents. Does that help?
[scientificamerican.com]

Religion, belief or ethnicity doesn't prove kindness
It's your personality

Excellent view.

Religion does prove CRUELTY beliefs burning in hell forever is as cruel as impossible to get more cruel

I doubt a difference in which is kinder. I do believe that an atheist tends to think out the consequences of any acts of kindness before acting on them more than a believer does.

gearl Level 8 Oct 30, 2020

I agree that we are more mindful.

my experience is that kind people are kind, unkind people are unkind, most people are kind most of the time, and their religion or lack thereof is irrelevant.

g

If everyone treated everyone like they wanted to be treated, I think the world would be a better place.

If some people wanted to be treated like a submissive with 50 shades of gray, should everyone be dominated?

@Word
Are you a submissive?

@xenoview I wish the world thought this way.

Depends on the atheist and the believer.

I've known kind empathetic believers as well as hateful ones.

I've known kind empathetic atheists/agnostics and I've known hateful ones.

I think it depends on the person.

Different personalities.

Velvet glove over the violent fists of believers deceives Atheists away from holding cruel faiths accountable..... consider how evil it is to "forgive" Hitler welcomed into the alleged heaven while burning Atheists forever no matter how KIND we are

Religion obviously doesn’t give one any advantage in empathy despite them claiming a monopoly on the virtue.

I was talking to a customer of mine who has a large produce farm. He was saying that he couldn’t find any US born workers, and all his workers were from Mexico. He thought it was a shame that we were having to “keep them up” in his words. Meanwhile he was sitting in the shade while his workers were busting their asses in his fields. I said it looks like they’re the ones keeping us up.

Very enlightening. Thanks for sharing that.😊

I was raised Hindu and was taught that giving is a gift. Xtianity teaches give and thou shalt receive.

However the community I was raised in, showed kindness to everyone regardless of what faith they followed.

After leaving home and living in another city - most of the believers I know, give with an agenda. Most of the Atheists i know give selflessly and are involved in charity, human rights etc

...but I also agree with what @ScienceBill72 says.

@TimeOutForMe manipulation = kindness via agenda

Kindness - meh - But in thoughtfulness and true and genuine help, my experience has been more positive with non-believers, and open-minded believers. I prefer to be surrounded by people who are doing the right thing by people and doing it because that's what's in their heart for altruistic purposes, not to get brownie points for getting into some gated community in the sky.

Religion or lack thereof does not dictate one's morality, thus whether or not they believe is probably irrelevant as it relates to how kind they are.

I think whether an atheist is kinder than a believer depends on the person...not the beliefs. Now if you want to talk about being judgemental then I would say, in my experience, that an atheist is less judgemental.

I don’t know the left wing nuts are awfully judgmental. That is pretty obvious from the hate towards Trump exhibited by those on this website.

@Trajan61 how about in my personal experience away from this particular social media platform I find atheists are less judgemental. Engaging with most people on here takes me back to my days as a Christian. It gets taxing taking the knives out of your back sometimes.

@ArtemisDivine Most of my friends are religious so I can’t really relate to atheist outside of this website. A lot of them on this website are filled with hate though for people who support Trump or are sympathetic to the religious.

Have to agree with the previous posters . It depends on the person , not on their religious beliefs .

Its hard for me to say, the places I worked, esp now in entertainment, we don't talk about beliefs too much. I would say the few I know who are believers do tend to be nice and pleasant to work with. Only one person years ago, seemed out of place to be in entertainment, where we are open and really can talk about anything. This person was why on the more reserved side . I would also imagine some others, who may fall under non denominational , might be nice, but could be a bit arrogant, or condescending, even though they are nice. The few athiests I know at work are good, smart, have a side of them that don't take stupid people/arguments lightly. 🙂

Thats great to hear. 👍😃

In my experiences, in a word, yes. No doubt about it.

I think this question presents us with a false cause fallacy.

Mvtt Level 7 Oct 29, 2020

I asked this because my religious mother
was telling me that christians are kinder.
In my own experience atheists have been kinder
than any christian.
It’s why I was asking everyone.

Nah. I've been fortunate to experience kindness from many regardless of spiritual background or lack thereof. I think that the bait of some eternal reward taints the purity of the intent but the result is unsullied.

Well we don't do things for people just to convince them to convert lol

I think it really depends on their personality and Character, it depends really on who raised them and influenced them in their early Life, and where their heads At. Race and background don't matter either, some poor people are as big an Asshole as rich people can be , same with being Nice or Kind

In my experience, there is much hypocrisy among believers (christian mainly), and hypocrisy is never kind.

No I don't think atheists are kinder. There are nice atheists and some atheists are assholes (I've met and dated a few on here!), just like some people of faith are kind and some are total fucking asshole douchebag pussy-grabbing tax evading draft dodging scumbags. Vote!

Draft dodgers should be prohibited from running for office.

@SeaRay215ex agreed!

I don’t believe so. I have met some very rude atheist and very kind believers in my lifetime.

My experience as well. I think the biggest difference was with me. As a nonbeliever, I felt I connected with people better. I think I didn't feel the need to look for judgment of others - even in small ways or unexpressed ways - as I did as a believer. It made relating to others easier.

For myself I'm in total agreement with genessa. But then again most of the posts are along the same lines. Be kind, be cool and be well. 🙂

we all have our beliefs that we at some moment in life accepted at face value.
It would be highly impractical to ask for evidence of everything in life.

Since I don't ask if people I meet are atheist or among the faithful, I don't know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:547885
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.