Agnostic.com

47 5

Could a computer create a more fair/functional society for mankind?...

...and if it could, would the "powers that be" allow it?

SAGECOACH 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It isn't rocket science. All the poisons they feed us show that we are being eliminated on purpose

Computers can't feel. So no.

I don't understand the correlation between computers creating a fair society for mankind. Aren't human beings behind those computers? Aren't they the ones who enter the data for the computer to operate and regurgitate info? Who are the powers that would allow it - humans?

How would this manifest? Is this a good suggestion spewing machine? A benevolent Sky Net complete with automated facilities? Either way I think GIGO applies here. The quality of the output would be directly proportionate to the quality of the programming. We're not there yet and it won't be soon either.

Even the best data in can yield corrupted results if the process is flawed. Until computers can respond to/with human emotion, the process will be flawed.

The computer is a tool and should be utilized as one by the human race to improve thwe wulity of life. However we must be causious to not allow a man made object to control humanity. It sounds stupid at this point but advancements AI will one day be amazing as the power of the computer explodes with quantum computing.We do not know what power we will be able to give these powerful machines and how control of them will develop. Seems like sci fi now but when I was a teen ager so did going to the moon.

Yes, but a computer that could do that could also destroy or enslave mankind. However I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Lauxa Level 5 Apr 11, 2018

You don't? I think any slavery is bad news

Let's hope so because mankind is certainly fucking it up!

Possibly but not at this point in time. The AL computer would have to be able work totally without human interference. A comic example of what I mean is that my one computer tells me something is wrong with my camera. Of course. It still has the lens cap on.

No.

I believe that a computer programmed correctly or an AI would be capable of it as long as they were able to measure overall happiness and health as the key to "better" in this context but I don't see any way that the "powers that be" would ever allow something like this to happen because they would lose all their power.

Yes. It's already happening. In the future with artificial semination, computers will make the DNA imprint for zygote eggs. DNA combinations will be made to eliminate mistakes that cause autism, certain diseases, and put in combinations that heighten and amplify some senses, like bigger brains, stronger bodies, and bodies that burn out fat and sugar efficiently to avoid cholesterol and diabetic problems. People will stop caring about race and more about abilities and features of the body.

Houses will be 3D printed. People won't communicate telekinetically, but through brainwave technology. Everyone will virtually live in mansions, but in reality, live in small apartments. Medical evaluations can be given from home since we'll have sensors monitoring the sick. Instead of prison, people will work on farms and do hard manual labor. Sex will be automated, and pregnancies will be regulated.

The powers of rule won't allow at first, but over the next 200 years, it will be a no brainer and they will do it. It will be like how iTunes came to be. Piracy proved that it would work, and then a business visionary will make the step to do it bogarding the old rules.

Manmade with a smarter alogritham equation Will it make a fair society

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

No a classical or traditional computer can not create a more fair/functional society. Such computers only can perform task following certain logic fed into it. The notion of right and wrong is still not established within human culture by human being. As day by day, we are becoming more global, we are experiencing more cultural differences and are being confronted with unacceptable ideas. However, there are objective truths and there are undeniable facts. There are unignorable human sufferings. If we can agree on the norms of a society we want to live in, it's possible for a computer to simulate such. A deep learning based self learning and self adapting computer can possibly figure out the ways to minimize the suffering of a society, however it may take actions in the process of minimizing suffering and maximizing well being, which then can be questionable. So, unless we can fully establish and agree on the ideas of right and wrong, a computer is most likely can not create fairness in our subjective reality.

This is the basic premise of at least 50+ science fiction novels. Somehow it never ends well.

We keep striving for perfection with an imperfect design, which is a good thing, means we have goals, but like fruit of the poison tree, what we design will be flawed. Because of that I don't think allowing machines to design a perfect society is a good idea, we are better to instill progressive ideas and morals into future generations in hopes of a brighter future. We see examples of this everyday,
Re the recent anti gun movement in the states being championed by young people. Machines are servants, not overlords

soa Level 4 Apr 11, 2018

My response used to be that a computer was no smarter than whoever programmed it (just a lot faster), but with AI on the raise, who knows.

godef Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Well, it seems hard to do worse. Computers are still only a tool, really.

Of other computers? Or of people? I could imagne a cadre of computers doing stuff and thinking of better ways to serve the human society, but I don't know if fair is how i would describe that.

No. I don’t see how that is remotely possible right now unless you are talking about The Sims.

You haven't seen a science fiction movie in the last 40 years or so...?

Whoops! Duplicate post. Sorry.

Ants can so I don't see why not

Perhaps that what we need...Terry Pratchett's discworld computer with a sentient ant colony at the heart of it; because God forbid (lols) we take actual responsibility for our daily actions! Jeez Louise can we not step up to the plate and create this ourselves in our daily actions? There are so many ways that our culture of consumerism itself can work towards this...daily (more than the odd vote every few years!).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55137
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.