Agnostic.com

17 3

What do you do for fitness?

I am looking to shake up my fitness routine. I’m an avid yogi in pretty good shape already I’m just getting bored and wanna try something new. Stipulations are: I’m not going to join a gym, presently I’m in Idaho, and will be for the winter, so outdoors is more or less out of the question and I am alone so it needs to be something I can do solo.

Suggestions? I should mention if anyone is interested in yoga or has any questions or suggestions on learning or adding it to your life I’m all ears.

SarahSiddons 6 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The things I like to do don't sound like they'd work where you live. I could see doing cross-country skiing, but you'd need to get outside to do that. Pilates is different enough from yoga that it might be interesting as a change of routine. Weight training is also good and a stationary bike is better than no bike at all! A lot of people like treadmills, but I won't go that far. Being outside is the best, even when it's bitter cold and quiet enough to hear the snow.

I walk EVERYWHERE, lift weights 4 times a week and have 2 dogs, so I can't really make any excuses and have to at least give them a decent walk every day. I also make sure I have a healthy and balanced diet. You can try a few new things really.

Step Aerobics

Jumping Rope

Swimming

Rowing

Zumba

most types of dancing

That's just a few things that will involve cardio and be great for you. Swimming is one of my favs.

I play video games. My thumbs get a real workout.

I bet you're pretty fit!

Whenever I get inspired to exercise, I lie down till the feeling goes away.

Love a thinker!

You can change your routine every single day , just try belly dance or cycle workout ,, etc

I use one of my bedrooms as a fitness room. I have kettle bells, free weights and a step bench. Turn on music, making sure the songs make me want to move, then dance, step and lift weights. Sometimes I spin at the gym or swim in the summer. Since it gets dark early I walk my dog on weekends. I've been slacking on walks with the time change.

I walk my dogs around the yard. Or to the corner and back. I do stretching and roms. Mostly I walk in the forest.

Its a concern over here too. Good food is my disease. A lot of my gravies and sauces are yummy/ tastey. Lots of cream, starch, flower, and milk. Most of the time i like a starch / flower and burnt onion gravie. Then theres a broccoli and cheese over potato wedges. To me a meal requires a sauce . Especially prime rib with asparagus and a baked potato. Now how do i give up this food fit for a king and a queen? My wife begs me not to cook because it taste so good. Its rough over here. Ugh!

Rearrange your kitchen so you have to search for everything.

Does mental exercise count? Just kidding. I'm trying to start an exercise regime after a spleenectomy and back surgery. My core is too weak to do yoga, which I love, but beyond my pt exercises, I'm at a loss where to start.

Ask your doctor to refer you for physical therapy. It doesn’t matter if the surgery had nothing to do with a joint or bone, cutting through the muscle of your core is a big deal and not going about it properly puts you at risk of herniation. Happy healing!

It’s fitness that keeps me sane. Yoga marries the mind intelligence to the body’s intelligence, finding the balance creates unmistakable harmony.

Think of it that way.....or not????

I have a dog which I adore,so I enjoy taking long walks with him . I live on Long Island so I love to swim in the ocean and in Long Island Sound

I cannot wait to have a dog again....

Dogs are something else.

Try kettle bell workouts

Good one I hadn’t considered!

Do you have a particular routine you follow or recommendations on how best to use them?

Anything lower body. Lunges, squats, I prefer lower body workouts. Keep those curves.

When I was young, I played team sports. For over 325 years, I walked 3 - 5 miles a day. Over the past 11 years, I have worked out with weights 3 times a week -- from 120 to 360 pounds (depending on the muscle group) on 13 different machines. At the age of 80, I am as strong as I ever was, but don't have the endurance I once had. My weight is 4 pounds grater today than it was when I finished basic training in the Army many years ago.

I thought I was the oldest guy on this site ! Lol

Some places count years a little differently than we do.

Cardio (bike-stationary) 3-4x week, 1 hour (while watching Netflix) 🙂
Strength training at Anytime Fitness 3x week OR exercise at home with dumb bells and bands or bodyweight.

Yoga is really hard to beat...
I'm trying to get myself to do it..
( I go to a gym ) Lol
But, to supplement that routine, get yourself some dumbells.. it is really important to do some strength.. and squats ( but that may be covered in yoga..)

My physical passion is ice skating, specifically figure skating. Incredibly aerobic. Unfortunately I am lucky if I can skate even once a week. Having a dog that luuuvs walks helps me. The min-pin in her means she has plenty of energy and could go for hours if I could keep up. I used to do yoga. For the past few years that has morphed into straight forward stretching, but the need for flexibility to figure skate helps me with that. For several months I have been doing (mostly) daily sets of push-ups, which are great all purpose upper body strengtheners and come in variations to up your difficulty as you progress. That, combined with stetches for back and hips and legs, and stretches on one foot, seem to balance needs for upper and lower body conditioning.

Beer curls. I also do one sit up a day. I start it when I wake up in the morning, and I finish it when I go to bed at night.

But, seriously.... I have yet to find a work out routine that doesn't bore me so much by the third month that I simply can't stomach doing it anymore.

The last thing I tried was a spin class. By the third month I was so sick and tired of the music they played that I couldn't even walk in the studio anymore. All they played was that "thud... thud... thud" crap and it was starting to drive me out of my damn mind. It sure as hell wasn't getting me pumped up to work out.

Try cycling. It's never the same twice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5554
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.