Agnostic.com

29 8

Are you following people and what do you get out of it?

I'm worried that if I follow the people I agree with that I will end up with the bland greyness that algorithms are starting to provide in our advertising (yes I looked for hiking boots once!). I want to know everyone's thoughts, not just those of people I relate the most to. What do you feel can be gained by following people, apart from finding out you have less in common with them than you initially thought?

girlwithsmiles 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I follow for connection. It doesn't matter whether there's anything in common. Sometimes the spark's humanity; a kind or thoughtful statement. Other times a need, a thought, a hint of uncertainty on either side. I follow out of curiosity, to look for continuity. I follow to provide support and encouragement. I follow for ideas. I follow for fun and friendship.

That stated it perfectly!

Interesting, thank you.It's funny as I read through lots of comments and often notice that I like those from the same people regularly, I guess that's a similar experience.

@girlwithsmiles YES I agree. I think we all may come hear for fine tuning and read one anothers thoughts and it helps us define or refine our own.

@SpikeTalon I have no doubt that whatever you are finding in my words, you are growing in that direction and will surpass me in understanding/compassion/expression whatever it is you're connecting with. I am glad our paths have crossed. You are quickly becoming my online, adopted son. 😉

Precisely. There are many good people here, with interesting point of view.

I have 65 people following me and I amfollowing 3. I am friends with them.

Agreed. I don't want the internet echo chamber. Sure, I might think someone is a complete moron, but I'd rather hear a dissenting view than just the same old monotony of agreement.

Yes, I find there aren't many (complete morons) on here, which makes it manageable and even funny.

@girlwithsmiles Copy that.

@girlwithsmiles Aha! You're discovering what I discovered. This site, unlike FB and its ilk, has good thinkers - I think!

I follow em - if they don't please i unfollow .. It's like that.. I follow all and sundry and filter !

@WizardBill I have tons on FB ! strangers .. not a clue who they are and don't care. They just follow me lol.. It's what it's for.. It's media!
and it's social lol 🙂 who knows ey

@Nickbeee You can prohibit being followed on FB by all except those on your friends list.

@Nickbeee ...that is so funny! When I first got on face book and all these people kept coming in, to be friends or not...I ask my children, why/how they got on there and they gave no satisfactory answer so I kept deleting them until I finally got off FB...as that takes up way too much time...to my way of thinking! Lol

I am following a few people because they are smart, witty or just plain interesting. I don't worry what others think because life is too short!

ebdb Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I’m not following anyone at the moment but I suppose following people on this site could mean you have an interest in them (relationship potential) and or you find what they have to say interesting. I don’t believe that would get in the way of exploring rest of the Angostic.com world that you are not following.

Yes, I suppose not, thanks.

I ask before I follow.

I follow people with whom I've become friends and those who have said something sufficiently interesting that I want to see more of what they have to say.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

I follow interesting people and also read the other posts as well.

I would miss some great posts otherwise.

Um, perhaps I am missing great posts, that's something to consider. Thanks.

@girlwithsmiles Look under "Discuss" and search the topics to find something that interests you. Don't forget to get to bed BEFORE sunrise!!

I am only following JackPedigo. His comments are wise, well-written, thoughtful and kind.

I am somehow following someone on this site. I don't know how that happened and don't see a way to unfollow. Not sure how it's taken by people, like stalking or what, so I'd hate to have it appear that way to someone. I have a few followers, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm thinking it means that I said something interesting at some point. 😉

Yes, I figured that, re: followers too. Perhaps someone can help you with the un-following? I'm afraid I don't know.

@girlwithsmiles @Julie808 Dead easy. Click on their name, which will take you to their profile page. At the top right you will see an option to follow or unfollow.
I have yet to find anyone who thinks it is stalking. Far from it - it is a sort of honour to know that someone finds what you have to say is worth reading.

@Petter Yes, I actually did figure out how to unfollow and should have edited my comment. Anyway, yep, it was easy. Thanks. The person I'd clicked on hasn't posted anything yet anyway, so nothing to follow. 😉

@Julie808 That's another thing I like about this site - so much of it is intuitive.

I follow sparky smarties. If I find interesting, well formed opinions, or particularly creative or engaging individuals... I like to see what else they are up to.

I don't follow anyone, it seems like stalking, to me.

Oh dear. Sorry. I didn't realize that was a thing.

Ah, now you can see who's following you @Blindbird 😉

@girlwithsmiles I din't care if people follow me, I just don't do it; besides I get notice of who is following me.

Yes, sorry HeathenFarmer I was responding to Blindbird, but forgot to tag her. Yes, it is like stalking, but I guess we just accept the people on here are friends not foes...until proven otherwise.

Yes I do. I can't explain how it happens but I find myself drawn to certain people that catch my attention. I find I'm wanting to engage them to understand them better.

ok, so for a long time i was nervous about people. when i first noticed people followed me, i was like ahh! people! but then i was like wait, you are here for people... none of them have been creepers or anything so its cool, doesnt really make me nervous anymore

Byrd Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I follow people who have something interesting to say or who I suspect will do so based on their profile. I TRY to have a broad range of opinions and voices but I keep getting into arguments with the authoritarian ones and angry at the clueless ones. Such is life.

I have a couple of folks I follow because I find their comments to be meaningful, well reasoned and well written.

It's a good way too get know people. You can just un follow,if you loose interest.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

Thanks for asking I was wondering the same.

The great think about this site is that it is advertising free - so there's no call for tracking algorithms.
Then, there are interest groups, (look under "meet" - groups). So if you are a foodie, there's even a group for you - and somewhere to publicise your mutt or moggie.
Be bold! Explore! I, for one, love getting an insight into the minds of others - and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Just follow who you want, try and loose the worry or fear about the system. You know the magicians trick, so can't be fooled again 🙂

I tend to think that following people is a vform of stalking...I don't approve of strangers on my Facebook account following me. In this time of insecurity with personal data breaches and violence in the world, I would simply want to comminicate with those I know.

I click follow on people or channels I find that have interesting thoughts, opinions, facts etc.

I also clicked follow on you because you're interesting, not to far away and pretty 🙂

Lols, well thank you, blush

Hmmm... I've followed a few people who live close by me to see if I'm interested in reaching out to them.

I'm not sure it really matters

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.