Agnostic.com

21 19

LINK I hate how people automatically assume that something drastic happened for you to be atheist : atheism

R/atheism page about religious people making assumptions about what led atheists to become who they are

Hages 7 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's because that's what they were taught. The same trust in their parents and churches to make them believe in gods are real also makes them believe no one in their right mind could deny gods.

I had a lady, a relative stranger, ask me once, "Why do you hate god?"
I replied, "Why do you hate dragons?"
She, "I don't hate dragons."
Me, "So you believe they're real?"
She, "No, of course not!"
Me, "Exactly, my feelings about your god is the same."
She, "Oh, that's just nonsense!"
Me, "Yes, gods and religion are nonsense."
She stomps off.
Me, walks away smiling.

Leelu Level 7 Dec 21, 2020

I've lost count of the number of times that Faithfools have informed me that their Sky Daddy will 'smite' for not believing him, etc, etc.
Shit, he had the absolute PERFECT opportunity about a week ago when I was fixing a couple of loose sheets of roofing during a HUGE Thunder and Lightning Storm, I WAS as wet as a Shag on a riverbank, sitting on a corrugate steel roof, the perfect electrical conductor if ever there was one and I'm still here alive and kicking.
So, from that 'episode' I've come to these conclusions,

1. Sky Daddy DOES NOT exist, something I already knew btw,
  2. IF He does exist, He couldn't hit a Bull Elephant in the arse with a Bazooka even at Point Blank Range,
  3. like all his Faithfools he too is full f shit.
  4. ALL of the above are 110% true.

I spoke to god about this and he said he was busy smiting gays. Woukd you mind going back up on Tuesday at 6 PM? He has an opening then.

@Tutankhamun I wish somebody would have told me you needed to get on the list to get smitten. DAMN 🤪

The whole ordeal sounds shocking. 😱

@Tutankhamun I was smitten with a bunch of girls in school, does that count?

@Tutankhamun What you mean YOU sent me a message?
Curses upon those Seraphim, they never passed it on me AGAIN.....LOL.

I've been doing this for so long I've long since realised that at heart many religious people are full of doubt and fear, though in discussion they will double down, triple down, and project their fear onto the non religious. For the non religious, doubt is the oil that greases our minds always to function to look for new information and to question everything. For the religious, doubt is a fearful thing, that must be suppressed. Since the history, the arguments and the logic works against them, their only recourse is to convince themselves that we just don't get it or we are damaged in some way. But look into their eyes confidently that you just know they are on the wrong side of the argument, but they can't let it go.

Very well said!

I simply did some research about my religion in order to convince others that it was true. Instead, I convinced myself that it was not based on reality, but mythology.

A good response might be that atheism and agnosticism are the results of reason, have you ever tried it?

Heaven forbid!
My first holiday break home from attending Tulane, (1986) I had not yet fully bailed on religion but was leaning that direction. Dutifully attending church with my parents, during a mingle break, the pastor's wife was making small talk, asking me about where I attended college. She became politely concerned to learn it was Tulane, a secular university. She actually warned me that college courses have a way of sounding so reasonable, that that reasoning can worm its way into our hearts and separate us from Gawd. Little did she know I was already hugely questioning the veracity of Christianity, and her admonition to me was like the nail in the coffin to my dying religious faith. If their "eternal truth" can't withstand a bit of secular scrutiny, how strong is it? Really.

I can honestly say that I've never given much thought to what other people think about my reasons for not believing in their fantasy, simply put. 😁

I find it hilarious when religious people make that sort of assumption.

Yeah 😁

Actually it is caused by something drastic: learning to think for yourself...

Yep. Same shit gay people have had to deal with for ages. Never mind that nature is chock full of examples of it. Why should they actually even look at nature or evidence in the physical world. Uh, no. Something "...must have happened! ...Satan musta gotta holt un us!" 🙄

The most common assumption made by the religious as to you being atheist is that "you must be angry at god." They have this conclusion because their book claims that everybody knows there is a god and that the rocks and trees themselves would cry out the existence of god if they could. This leads into the nonsense of "look at the trees" when others want to convince you of their god.

In the movie God Is Dead we find that the atheist character is angry because god killed his father, or allowed him to die. At the end of this film a priest restores the dying atheist to the fold and solves the whole problem. The success of a second film of this type proves that such movies do make money.

My long time religious friend must feel that I am angry with his god because I did not become the world's greatest evangelist. I tell others that it is because god did not bring me a pony. No, wait! That was Santa Claus.

With me it did...I had time time to read, and think about the bible...found that church services were very much like fox intertainment...

I've heard that before. I think they learn that in Sunday School.

For me it was just a matter of reaching the age of reason and the ability for critical thinking. Hardly traumatic.

Like that guy last week asking us to do a survey that linked poor fathering to atheism. Ridiculous.

My sister-in-law's the sort of person who would ask such a question. I could ask her if she's ever had a bad experience with critical thinking, but well, that would be beyond rhetorical.

Never assume anything. Then you won’t make an ass out of you or me.

ASS / U / ME

I left christianity after I read the bible cover to cover. I became a pagan, no punishing god/goddess, no hell. Then one day about 25 years later I became an agnostic. Then 2-3 years later I became an atheist.

I've not had that experience. The people who know me know I'm an atheist, or at least they think of me a very secular, I suppose. I do not try to change the faithful, know a bunch of them, do not wish to get into acrimony; let them do their thing. One, in particular, a former almost Nun, still very religious, commented, once, asking "You don't believe in magic?" and I said "No, I don't." That discussion was not about religion, per se, but had those overtones.
Another one objected to my mention of evolution in a conversation, saying that he could not even countenance a discussion of the topic, as it was against his religion. I felt sorry for him, seeming to be a fellow of decent intelligence, but constrained from even considering such "radical" an idea.
He is a good example of St. Augustine's belief that the masses should remain uneducated.

My drastic was being taught, as a child, not to blindly accept received wisdom. That was from my grandfather, whose own father had been considered a small "r" rabbi, in his own childhood.

I haven’t run in to this. Most theists back away and prefer not to discuss it. I come from a very Catholic family. I have 2 aunts that were nuns and a cousin who was a priest. Only real conversation I ever had with a family member was with one of the nuns. She was in her eighties, we talked for hours. Very compassionate and respectful. We explained how we reached different ends of the spectrum, and were both at peace with the world.

Tougher to believe year after year, built up to critical point so I left. Felt very similar to outgrowing Santa Claus. Wouldn't call that traumatic, more just growing up and maturing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.