Agnostic.com

35 22

I've never been one for labels. When it comes to religion or belief, or lack of belief, I don't worry about picking atheist, agnostic, humanist, skeptic, etc. I guess I prefer to say I'm a non-believer when in dialog with someone. It seems to be to the point about what I feel. I guess one could say that this too is a label. It's all semantics. What do you feel about your own position concerning what you believe?

jimdaughters 5 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a me. You can take me or toss me over a bridge.

I like to respond with “normal”.

MattW Level 6 Jan 2, 2021

@jimdaughters "What do you feel about your own position concerning what you believe?"

I feel good.

I'll see your James Brown and raise you the Beatles. 🙂

I pondered our many labels recently as a board member of a powerful nonprofit in California dedicated to the rights of people with disabilities (which includes me, BTW). It concerned a mission statement containing a boilerplate statement about fighting discrimination and safeguarding rights “regardless of” a typical list of factors, such as ethnicity/race, economic status, etc., plus a well-intentioned reference to “religion/faith.” I objected, because it leaves a lot of us out, but had to think hard about what to add that covers communities as diverse as ours. I eventually settled on “irreligion” as a placeholder umbrella term, but am not sure I’m completely satisfied.

As for myself, I like the term “free thinker,” as it leaves room for change and nuance.

After abandoning belief in a deity, I clung to hope for the future of humanity. Humanity's current direction has destroyed that hope. I suppose one could call me a "disillusioned humanist".
[humanists.international]

The current events for many decades has been fertile ground for cynicism. I just feel it has been caused by those in power who use those believing them feigning family values and saving lives of a fetus with scare tactics are the problem. Not all religions.

It is tricky, and labels can most surely be divisive. When a conversation cannot be rerouted, I like to stay with "your beliefs are different than mine, and I certainly respect them" or something similar. Confrontation is never productive.

I think that is far more unifying, and respectful and acknowledging we all have our own beliefs and views.

labels only help other people to decide where to pigeon hole you in their minds and estimation....I don't like them myself.

labels also.don't show to me that thoughts and information we gather along the way can make our view transient and not fixed in any label. And believing I am this or that or know this or that means as new info or insights happen along the way I have to ignore it, as it doest fit the idetity/label I took on.

I'm a Godless Gnostic Apatheist.

@DangerDave I don't give it a second thought, except to denigrate.

@DangerDave I don't care of you do and I won't denigrate you unless you quote gospel.

@DangerDave Matthew 7:20 Read the whole passage. Sounds like an argument for selective abortion or mandatory sterilization. It's not taken out of context or does it just denigrate?

@DangerDave Maybe the short quote you gave, but taken in context by complete the text. How would you take it?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them

@DangerDave Yes but when they purport to be decent pious people, they most often are not. A bunch of hypocrites. The good people of faith are indoctrinated from birth. Kindly fools.

@DangerDave I associate with people of faith but I can't have a close relationship with one. My brother is religious and I keep him at arms length. When I speak with him on the phone and the conversation goes to a religious nature, I pretend I need to take another call. When I sleep with a girl, they all turn out to believe in God, so I refuse to date them. If they bring up church, they are fugazi to me.

Are you convinced that an actual deity really exists?
Those who answer “no” will be correctly classified, as Atheist.
It really is that simple.

• Aron Ra
Mvtt Level 7 Jan 6, 2021

I don’t pick one either, but my list of acceptable labels is long. agnostic, atheist, skeptic, freethinker, humanist, Buddhist, Taoist, pastafarian, non theistic satanist, and dudist all describe me. If I’ve gotta rip the bandaid off and let a religious person know I’m not a believer I’ll prob say I’m an atheist. If I really want my space I’ll say I’m a satanist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:565416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.