Agnostic.com

14 19

To me, the question that life must have a purpose, I never found to be true. The universe doesn’t have a reason to exist nor a reason not to exist. The same applies to everything that is born. in my view you are’t born just to fulfill a specific goal, you’re born just to enjoy doing whatever you choose to do with your life. Religion tried to answer this question by saying it is all in God’s hands but religion in my view just uses magical thinking that only goes so far in answering the big question. Really I found it more efficient to remain secular and unbiased to enjoy everything. Exploring the universe is the purpose I choose.

Just my view I thought I’ll share. Not a good post but I made it in a rush.

Tyrantmike 6 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree that existence has neither meaning nor purpose, which is great! Biological life has no meaning, but a single purpose: to keep going, as long as possible, by any means, whatever the cost. The answer to all other existential questions is 42.

manna isn't called What is it? for nothing i guess

One word says a lot "must." LIFE 'must' be all inclusive and not just about us stupid humans and it does have a purpose and that is to evolve. Now that the invasive humans have entered the picture further evolution may include an important extinction, us.

The real meaning of life by a simple observation is to be born to eat to reproduce then die. Any other meaning is by our own design.

I see that as a 'part' of life not a meaning. I would ask, for what cause?

@JackPedigo Exactly. And I had already told you, surprised that I would even have to summarize and explain it to you.

@JackPedigo The 'meaning' you gain from or give to your life is 100% resultant from How you choose to live, what you choose to do with and during it, What legacy you leave behind for those who follow on AFTER you are Dead and Gone.
You ARE alive ONLY because a Male and a Female Human had Sexual Intercourse, the male sperm joined with the ovum released by the female and fertilized it.
That is LIFE and being alive in a nut-shell, so to speak.

@Triphid But what if I don't care about meaning? Most of us have little control over what happens to us. We're just along for the ride and hope there aren't too many bumps along the way.

@JackPedigo As was once said, but unfortunately I can't quite remember by whom atm, " The true meaning is NOT found in the Destination but IN the Journey itself."

Life/living is its' own purpose...think of a dandelion growing through asphalt, or tubeworms deep in the ocean, they exist because life expands into all (even grudgingly) provided openings.
Life, you can't kill it.

The purpose of biological life is simply to exist, to live, to continue.

Yup agree

We are here, imho, by biochemical accident, and the universe, which is not cognizant, or conscious, can not give a damn. But, while we are here, we might as well hold one another's hands as we spin wildly through the void.

As a species, we’ve evolved, we are the only species that have a large number of people who sit around and contemplate their navels.

Other than propagating the species, there is no collective meaning. You need to make your own....

We attach our own meaning or purpose to life....it’s in our own gift. However...we don’t live in a vacuum, so we must be cognisant of the fact that our decisions and actions impact on others.

One of my favorite sayings:
You have a choice of your actions, you do not have a choice of the consequences of your actions.

Post pretty good. To my mind. Exploring is a good purpose, and training yourself to be better at appreciating, is the route to happiness. Good luck with your journey.

Just to share my thoughts about your comments. Not any thing that is intended for debating arguing. Just for you to think about and take it how ever you want.

#1. You say, "the question that life must have a purpose, I never found to be true."

#2. You say, "The universe doesn’t have a reason to exist nor a reason not to exist.

#3. You say, "Religion tried to answer this question by saying it is all in God’s hands but religion in my view just uses magical thinking that only goes so far in answering the big question. "

First, let me use a common source for the meaning of life and from that you can understand the purpose of life.

From Google search for the definition of life:

the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

The later part of this definition gives us the purpose of life: ...including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

Second, for #2 above I will just simply say: the reason that the universe does not exist is because of the fact that it does exist. So, because the universe does exist, that is the reason for it to not exist.

Lastly for #3. I ask this "big question", but first I say: Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

What religion are you talking about and does that religion have anything to do with big questions about helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption?

Word Level 8 Jan 7, 2021

Agreed.
As far as I'm concerned, my life's purpose is whatever I decide it is.
That purpose may vary depending upon my mood.

Gator, I agree with your every word.

Our existence is only a small speck in time. It only matters while we're here. In the end after it's over, our lives do not have any purpose

@Gwendolyn2018 That will take a long time. All famous people, once there lives are over, for them, they are gone, it's as if they never existed. Legacy only matters in thoughts of others, which will end with their existence.

@Gwendolyn2018 The earth will be here for billions of years. I'm hope I can be here for 20 more.

@Gwendolyn2018 I'm 63. 83 would be good. I don't know if I'll make it. Your are right women live longer. My dad passed away at 70. My mom lived to be 93.

@Gwendolyn2018 Figure 20 years. 88 is good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.