Agnostic.com

5 10

LINK The religious composition of the 117th Congress | Pew Research Center

When it comes to religious affiliation, the 117th U.S. Congress looks similar to the previous Congress but quite different from Americans overall.

While about a quarter (26%) of U.S. adults are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – just one member of the new Congress (Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz.) identifies as religiously unaffiliated (0.2%)

HippieChick58 9 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How can we get more candidates to identify as Agnostic or Atheist?

We have to set examples to the rest of America that Agnostics/Atheists are "normal" and not to be feared. For many we're baby eating, drug using, psychopaths. The other part is waiting for the boomers to die off, the younger generation is more open to agnostics and atheists, and quite often they are non believers.

Change the designation to non-religious.....any more detail is really irrelevant

Religion and politics need a divorce.

i don't care what they personally believe as long as they don't personally believe that their personal beliefs apply to legislation, adjudication or execution of the law of the land or any portion thereof. i don't mind pelosi's praying for trump though i think it's silly. i would mind if that is what she relied on! but she is beginning impeachment proceedings so apparently she keeps her personal beliefs personal and her legislative actions appropriate.

g

... not that it isn't interesting. not complaining that you posted it. just sayin'.

g

Members of Congress also are older, on average, than U.S. adults overall. At the start of the 116th Congress, the average representative was 57.6 years old, and the average senator was 62.9 years old.1 Pew Research Center surveys have found that adults in that age range are more likely to be Christian than the general public (74% of Americans ages 50 to 64 are Christian, compared with 65% of all Americans ages 18 and older). Still, Congress is more heavily Christian even than U.S. adults ages 50 to 64, by a margin of 14 percentage points.2

As long as the trend is in the right direction

They are also undoubtedly richer than the rest of us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:567370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.