Agnostic.com

44 6

How do you get tasks accomplished?

For me, I find that if I'm having trouble focusing on a task (or even just getting started on a task) that putting on some classical music, or sometimes maybe soft rock or acoustic rock, that it helps me at least get started. Also, sometimes taking a short walk helps. What do you do?

iamjc 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ask my partner to do it, it is called delegation.

2 or 3 at a time..

I just do it. Sometimes, i hve to wait until my grandson carries something upstairs or downstairs for me ( like the Dyson vacuum - too heavy for me) and sometimes I have to reschedule tasks, but mostly I just do it.

There are so many distractions today. I find that I just have to focus and get to it. Put everything else out of my head and do it. Everything else is just a distraction for me if I try it. A lot of the time I write a list of what I have to do. It helps me.

I heave a big sigh, get off my ass, and get to whatever it is.

I always have something to do, I never stop doing things. I just move organically from one task to the next. Things that must be doen by a certain time get put in my electronic calendar, and I get them out of the way ASAP. Posting here is my coffee time.

Try Chopin his work is inspirational. I have Alexa on my echo get the Iheart radio station that specifically plays Chopin.

Ah yes, so bad that I enrolled in a procrastination class about 30 yrs ago. I was given advice and direction to read this book and that book. Rationalize and attack my false beliefs etc., etc.

Eventually, I decided to do the dishes or whatever incrementally. THAT was the secret to my success. It is a lot easier to commit to small doses. So simple, so pragmatic, so me.

Drink 2 cups coffee.

Okay, so you ask "How do you get tasks accomplished?", and this is asking all of us.

I get them accomplished by beginning them, going through them, and finishing them.

I tend to want to read all day, so I set a timer. I read for 45 minutes, then do a task, for example, empty the dishwasher. Then I read again, etc. It sounds silly, but if you live alone, there really is no reason to keep to a schedule. It's hard to clean your house if you know that you don't usually invite people over. This way, my house is reasonably clean, and I also get up and walk a bit instead of reading for hours.

By not sitting at this site !

These days I'm not really sure what gets me by day to day? It could be dumb luck (if such a thing exists that is)? It could be because I recently got a raise at work (nah, that didn't happen)? That much is a mystery to me. I do remember as a teenager a popular drink called Bawls Guarana used to get me past the rough days and keep me focused (how couldn't it have, it contained a mixture of sugar caffeine and guarana). These days I find myself in need of a far more potent elixir...like a nice tall glass of napalm and paint thinner, that would really hit the spot right about now. Some of the other comments on here were interesting though...

I often procrastinate before starting, but once started, I focus easily. So much so that when I was focusing on something, I hardly hezd anyone talking to me.

Stepping right away from it by maybe going out first so I see it with new eyes.

I put them off until the very last minute.
Basically, I'm forcing myself to do it.

Very SLOWLY...sometimes deliberately!!

Either by doing them or paying someone else to do them. I would be interested in knowing of other ways.

Lots of caffeine and loud, energetic music. Soft music makes me sleepy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.