Agnostic.com

15 20

LINK Tens of Thousands of Texas Homes May Be Worthless Soon.

If you live in Texas I had pity on you before the freeze. Now, holy cow, you may be well and properly screwed.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know I should feel bad for them but ya know what? I don't. Not even in the slightest. They kept electing idiots who don't believe in climate change, who deregulated their utilities because utility providers paid them off. Nope, elect stupid get stupid.

Interesting as I grew up in Dallass and most of my siblings still live there. Our house was built in 1929 and was well built. My brother started his own architectural firm and even though he is well past retirement age still runs the place. He specializes in remodels and his business will probably pick up after this. [larsonpedigo.com]

More than 30 people have died from the storm in Texas. "Many Texans rising to find power still have the misery of not having safe drinking water. ... It has particularly devastated some hospitals, forcing people to refrain from washing their hands despite it being the most basic safety measure, especially the coronavirus pandemic. ... Texas officials ordered 7 million people — a quarter of the population of the nation’s second-largest state — to boil tap water before drinking it." [New York Post]

"Harris County is slammed with 300+ carbon monoxide cases - and many are kids" [Houston Chronicle, Feb. 17, 2021]

WOW! I had no idea the construction of so many homes in Texas was so bad. The news for many Texans just gets worse.
The crew in Flint Michigan just got indicted for the contaminated water they let residents drink I think the people in Texas need to hold the officials who ignored the warnings about the grid accountable.

A part of that/those who think/teach that infinite growth on a finite planet is possible and transpires.

Thank you. We have no trouble calling out scammers that operate using a Ponzi scheme but then do the same thing and call it an economy.

Don't worry, free market capitalism will fix all those problems, not regulation. The families of those who froze to death or lost their homes will sue all those companies and they will go bust and never build bad houses again! That'll teach them!

Ha. This is where free market capitalism is the worst and least efficient system. We have hundreds of years of history to teach us whenever there is a way corporations will cheat to make a buck and calculate they will get away with it. And if by some miracle they are caught they will just settle out of court and live to screw another customer another day.

What you need is regulations that are actually enforced by governments that are also held responsible and both corporations and government employees post bonds that they forfeit if they fail to do their duty. Sortition and term limits. Government leadership is not a job for life.

"This is where free market capitalism is the worst and least efficient system. We have hundreds of years of history to teach us whenever there is a way corporations will cheat to make a buck and calculate they will get away with it. And if by some miracle they are caught they will just settle out of court and live to screw another customer another day" I agree. There definately needs to be regulations and codes that are built in to the system that are in the public's best interest. In many ways, this is skipped over in our society to the detriment of public good. This is one exampke. How likely would it be to have this scenario though? I think utility planning should involve a high level of concurrent disaster planning. In another instance, I remember a tornado was approaching a nuclear power plant, there were multiple tornadoes on the ground, and, of course, as a person on the ground near the site you are thinking, "I hope a lot of pre-planning for this exact scenario occurred prior to this night."

@Flowerwall it seems like the pre planning by generating companies for cold weather was "we aren't going to do that and if by some miracle things are still working we'll sell it at 100x price because that is what supply and demand free market capitalism allows".

It's Enron deliberated price manipulation in California all over again. The rules didn't cap their prices so they just shut things down and got thousands of times normal price due to shortage. In Texas even with a fraction of their generation online power companies probably made many multiples of their normal revenue. Zero incentive to fix anything.

Regulations should have capped the price and delt with shortage by having rotating outages. Plus emergency planning by authorities so people are prepared and backup systems like emergency shelter with heat and water are available just like in a earthquake, hurricane, flood, or fire. Oh and consumers should never be charged dollars per kWh without being aware of it. Imagine if you had no clue of the price when you pumped the gas into your car? "Sorry, shortage today, that'll be $5000!"

@prometheus I keep seeing headlines that some customers were billed $1k a day, and since its mainly on msm I wonder what the real story is. Surely this level of manipultion is already in violation of price gouging laws? If not, now would be a great time to push the agenda.

@Flowerwall apparently their unregulated system allowed customers to be billed a non fixed rate. Whatever the generators charged customers were billed.

I also heard there was a big storm 10 years ago and the same thing happened and everyone said they should learn and ensure it never happens again.

Also Texas is the only state that is not part of the Federal grid where power can be shared between states - because they did not want to have to deal with Federal regulations. Guess that didn't work out for them.

Will the people of texas remember come election time?

All they remember is "What about the emails" and "The Alamo!"

Americans have the attention span of the common gnat

Probably not........They’ve been fooled this long, why would that change now?

Not surprisingly, a Bible Belt state also. So the politicians will have no problem fooling them again.

This is the problem with privatization and little to no regulation. Cheap is what gets produced to make the extra buck without any disclosure to the consumer - let them find out the hard way. Politicians will blame someone else (at least that's what the Texas governor did when he blamed electric shortage on frozen wind turbines). Meanwhile, Texas Senator Ted Cruz flew his family to Mexico to avoid the Texas chill. Nice!

Same bullshit with many, if not all of those southern Republicon controlled states, as they all have Right to work laws which allow big business to cut corners, pay workers shit salaries with meager to no job benefits.

This is for all those who want a small government and no "interference" from it.

Texas and its leadership had strong warnings about this 9 years ago and again 2 years ago. But given the quality and intelligence of its leadership, nothing was done about winterizing its power grid.

mischl Level 8 Feb 18, 2021

To expensive. Those in charge need their payoff 💵 so it’s to hell with regulations!!

This state has wanted fo be able to secede whenever Democrats dominate the federal government. At least we can see how they would care for their citizens (not at all unless they have money).

The houses in the Sunbelt are different. One morning I had water pouring down my walkway as they poured the concrete a half inch from the water pipe. Sunburnt brains.

MizJ Level 8 Feb 18, 2021

My son lives in TX and has a generator that he hooks up if the power goes out. He lives just across the LA border and they've not lost any power in this storm but he was ready with fuel to hook up if he needed to. A $1000 generator and fuel can save you and your home.

Leelu Level 7 Feb 18, 2021

Yes, both my sons have generators for this reason and they live in Richmond, Texas.

When I lived in Texas and was an in-home repairman I had calls in the 1970's style mansions built there in the booming hey days of Texas oil. Many times I found frozen water pipes under a sink and the cure was simply to open up the cabinet doors to let in the main room air. Everything was poorly insulated. On top of that the houses are built on concrete slabs. If it gets cold enough for the ground to freeze and crack one of those, there is no fix for that house. If would no longer have any value.

I feel pretty bad for the residents who are suffering.
Time for them to hold Abbott, Perry, and everyone connected, responsible for the state-wide catastrophic grid failure, but Abbott and Perry most of all.

Once again, republican "leadership" fails with horrific, yet predictable, results.

I'll say it again, it's time for the gop to go the way of the Whigs.

I moved to Texas in 1982. It got worse and worse each year I lived there. Those in charge simply do not care about the people. Privatize the profits, socialize the risks is the Texas GQP in a nutshell.

I wish I had more faith in the voters. I hope this starts change.

You're doing better than Cancun Cruz!

And let’s not forget who tried to sneak away........

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:577276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.