36 6

Embarrassing nickname?

Did you ever get saddled with an embarrassing nickname? By family, friends or anyone else? What was it and how did you earn it?

By jamessmithwick
Options Favorite Like

36 comments

Sticks.

When I was 16 I fell asleep completely drunk in my best friends tree. It was in the middle of a huge rager and I felt it was necessary to get naked, climb, doze off in, and the subsequently fall out of said tree, impaling myself several times with little pine needles and branches on my unexpected and uncoordinated descent.

Moose42 Level 5 Apr 15, 2018

Hahaha. That's awesome.

A friend from college still calls me a name he gave me so many years ago. For a short period of time I was a professional dancer so I got the name "Go-go.

sassygirl3869 Level 9 Apr 15, 2018

My nanny as a child a wonderful and jovial stereotypical large, elderly African American woman named Annie called me Bo Weevil from birth, so i was called "Bo" until my mother died 9 years ago. Mom was the last of the family to call me that. The name died with her.

jamessmithwick Level 6 Apr 15, 2018

Hey Bo...love it

My maiden name is Bird. Most everyone called me Baby Bird. My name is Barbara and when very young I introduced myself as Blah Blah Bird so my sister called me Blah Blah. In elementary school they called me Bird turd. Only scarred me a little. When in Grad school in Cairo they called me "Asfoura"= Bird out by the Giza pyramids.
Now I'm "Colton's Mom. Lol.

Archer Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

Being th youngest in my family of origin, for a few years i was saddled with the nickname of "short person".

However, the joke in the end was on them, as I grew to be taller than my parents and all of my siblings.

snytiger6 Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

My nick name was Timmy and i have always hated it.

twshield Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

I have an old friend named Tim and he has always hated being called "Timmy" too.

@Paul628 i feel his pain!

@twshield The struggle is real. smile009.gif

@Paul628 lol!

Adorkable

AnandaKhan Level 6 Apr 15, 2018

I was always "Tommy" as a kid, until I decided to change to "Tom" at around 19 or so. But the worst one was "Goldilocks", which is what they called me at the first job I had in a factory.

tnorman1236 Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

they called me mindy for a while coz I had a fringe

Some of the students I taught would call me variations of my last name: like Stratacaster or Neomtarts (don't ask, long story). Suffice it to say, I attempted my entire 10 years of teaching to get rid of them ... but every year, at least 1 prior student would inform the newcomers what the nickname was ... and boom ... there it was ... I suppose I should have been flattered because they meant it in good fun and not in spite ... but I hated hearing it.

evestrat Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

Divine Levine

calm123 Level 2 Apr 15, 2018

Jay Jay the Jet Plane was my nickname for the longest time because my name is Jay. Thank christ it got shortened to Jay Jay.

MrRaspberryJam Level 4 Apr 15, 2018

Jillybean. I have no clue how I got stuck with that name. It was my sister's ex who called me that.

UndeniablyMe Level 6 Apr 15, 2018

Wave, my parents called me. Dumb One of my disabled clients called me Dave the cave, which is my moniker here.

Davethecave Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

No embarrassing nickname but a "pisses me off diminutive".

While some people call me Sil (I love it) other had the bad taste of addressing me as "Silvita". I ignored them.

DUCHESSA Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

I too hate diminutives. Or sometimes the opposite, with an "on" tagged on.

@Petter In my case (Spanish) the opposite will be "ota" as in SilviOTA...Grrrrrrrrrrr

@DUCHESSA Pero tambien "tonton" (for a really stupid fool!) Or that magnificent musical instrument "guitaron gitano" a portable double bass guitar.

Edited

@Petter Esa es la versión masculina de tonto.........and the instrument is "guitarrón".

@DUCHESSA missed the double r.

@Petter Is not "double r" but RR (erre)

@DUCHESSA In English, saying double r means rr. I missed the second r, ie the double r.

@Petter Sure....but "guitaRRón" is in Spanish...........jijijijijij
on

@DUCHESSA Claro, pero mi respuesta era en inglés.
By the way, I love hearing a well played Guitarron Gitano, especially when accompanied by guitar and mandolin.

@Petter No le busques la quinta oata al perro....jijiji A mó no me gusta el guitaRRón.

When I was 14 at summer camp, there were five of us girls in the bunk who were close. One of them loved The Three Musketeers and decided we would all be named after all of them -- she was D'Artagnan, the next three were obviously Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. I was the last one, so what name did they give me? Glucose. I grudgingly took it on, but I wasn't happy with it.

bleurowz Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

Not really embarassing, but I had an aunt that called me Pibby Greeks from the time I was a baby. Not the foggiest idea why....

AdorkableMe Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

Felix, I'm guessing the genesis of this name, was the Odd Couple. Not 100% sure why the name irritated me so.

Nurse-Quantros Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

My family used to call me nika-sneakers. I ended up liking it when I was older, but when I was younger it made me feel bad. Not as much as triple stuffed jelly doughnut though, that one stuck around for like 6 years. Kids are mean.

Peeves Level 6 Apr 15, 2018

As a child, my nickname was "Monkey" because I loved climbing trees. I stuck a book in the back waistband of my shorts and nimbly climb a tree. Hopelessly skinny, waistbands were always loose. I'd settle into the crotch of a tree and read.

Below me, kids ran around fighting, arguing and getting into trouble. It was fun watching the melee while safely hidden above them.

LiterateHiker Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

I don't think it is embarrassing, but my nickname is 'Bears.' It has been for as long as I can remember. It's a play on my given name of Barry. Which I DO dislike.

BearsNPenn Level 6 Apr 18, 2018

"meat hammer"

buck1977 Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

All through my teen years - Otis. Yep. My passion for the great Otis Redding was the cause. There are people out there who know me by that name only!

AmiSue Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

Otis was great. There are worse reasons for nicknames. 😀

Saxy stilts or herman or drac take your pick

markdevenish Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

One of my exes called me "Rache" but that wasn't embarrassing.

birdingnut Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

Almost everyone in my neighborhood had a nickname and pretty much all of them were derogatory. Mine was Spock, but it only lasted a few years. For some of them, their nicknames have lasted a lifetime. Kids are mean, to put it mildly.

realneal54 Level 5 May 6, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!