Agnostic.com

13 14

LINK Don’t Discount Evangelicalism as a Factor in Racist Murder of Asian Spa Workers in Georgia | Religion Dispatches

Today, America is still reeling from the news of the mass murder of eight people at massage parlors in Georgia. Many are rightly calling the shooting spree an act of white supremacist terrorism, as the victims targeted were Asian women. The moment I read that the man who confessed to the murders was the son of a youth pastor who told police he had a “sex addiction,” however, it struck me that we must not ignore the specifically evangelical Protestant contours of this story.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Evidently that guy had a bad experience with hookers and wanted to get revenge.

10 Dead in shooting today in Boulder. Shooter alive in custody. Waiting to hear what this guy believes.

He killed women, six of whom were of Asian descent.
One was an Asian male, the other was a white woman. She was there with her husband, who was able to escape.

This is most definitely a hate-crime.
Georgia statutes include gender.

What I want is for religious beliefs to be included as motive for this kind of thing.
Have it be added to contributing to mental illness, and make it more culpable.

Stop shooting people ....try masturbation as a release for sexual addition.

The person who murdered the women has said his actions had nothing to do with Asians or any other race, it was done to eliminate his desire to visit places he thought would satisfy his sexual desires.

Even so, it is still an act brought on by churches trying to fix a sex addiction and ends up very close to white supremacy. The reason is that the killer still had a preference of sex and the church cannot fix that. Killing Asians does not solve the problem.

@DenoPenno Please explain how sex addiction is close (or related in any manner) to white supremacy.

@Michaelson464 Hi

Interesting article. I doubt the mainstream media would try to tackle the "product of religious purity" angle regarding this tragedy, but that might shake up the news a bit to blame his religiosity and/or the racial stereotyping of Asian women all being geisha girls.

The current angle of trying to make it seem the killer was blaming covid on Asians will stop working for the news cycle, when it begins to look like that might not be the case.

The religiosity makes more sense as his motive for wanting to eliminate temptation because he was led to believe he had a sex addiction. I'd like to see a hard look at religion to blame for his state of min, in addition to racial stereotyping and/or hatred.

"America is reeling" ?. really. I thought multiple shootings were an everyday occurence.

As a life long American resident, I assure you America is not reeling. In fact I sugest most either never knew about tis or have already forgotten it. The media always goes for sensationalism.

They are at the core of it

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 21, 2021

It never surprises me that mass murderers are Evangelicals..

I mean its obvious at this point that most of these domestic terrorists are tied to the exact same thing. Evangelical Cults.

Yep. Sex guilt. His Fundamentalist Christian father is entirely responsible for this. They are most likely racists as well.

Grubb by name and a grub by nature imo.
Personally speaking, I would NOT discount ANYTHING as being a FACTOR in his absolutely heinous crime/s, EXCEPT a Plea/s of Temporary Insanity which, btw, I fully EXPECT to be the mainstay and bases for his Defense in Court.
Either that or the tired, worn out rhetoric/s of "God told me to rid the world of Sinners," or " The Devil got a hold of me and MADE me do it."
Similarly, I have absolutely NO doubts that his fellow Evangelists are already 'passing around the hat' to raise funds for his Defense even though they may well be PRETENDING to be shocked/appalled by his criminal acts.
He HAS committed MURDER, he IS a Murderer, he is NOT a Martyr to ANY Cause what-so-ever, there are NO excuses for what HE has committed PERIOD.

I find that people's actions are rarely caused by a single factor, from which I assume (infer?) his murder spree was a result of multiple factors, which may include racism, sexism, religion and bad parenting, the last possibly including sexual repression and misogyny.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583749
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.