Agnostic.com

18 14

Glacier Lilies. Which photo is better?

Erythronium grandiflorum -- glacier lily at Ski Hill in Leavenworth WA.

Taking photos, I try to tell a story within the frame. Showing the plant in its ecosystem is often difficult because most cameras have limited depth of field.

The first photo was taken in the morning on the descent. With the second picture near the top of the ridge, it was almost noon. Light makes a big difference.

Which picture do you like best?

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both have there individual great aspects in there respective settings first i love the clear vibrant colours in the close up where as the 2nd one is close but not as vivid butportrays depth to the mountains a great contrast

I like the first one best. And notice the form is similar to Snow Drops, which I shot on Sunday.

They are both good photos, but I like the left better due to the colors. The lighting is a bit more harsh in the afternoon photo.

I like the one on the left for its color and the details in the lilies and the right one for the composition showing the habitat they grow in.

First one

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 22, 2021

Both of them are pretty.

I see them as two entirely different aspects.
They're both beautiful.

The right one. The contrast between strong and delicate elevates it to more than a flower pic.

Mvtt Level 7 Mar 22, 2021

@Mvtt

That's how I feel.

I love the contrast between the delicate flower and strong mountain.

The two leaves frame the lovely curve of the flower stalk.

Looks like thd left one wins . I agree !

The one on the left, better detail imo.

I vote first one, but like the second one too!

I like the one on the left. Very nice.

I like the first photo more than the second. It shows more yellow petals.

I like the one on the left better, the colors are brighter.

The more light you have, the smaller aperture you can use. The smaller the aperture, the greater your depth of field...which allows you to focus on the flower AND on the distant background. Try switching your camera from "P" (automatic) to "M" manual or "Av" aperture priority and making the camera use the smallest aperture possible for the light that's available. Btw, the left photo is much better because of the color.

It's a toss up to me.

The one on the left.

The one on the left.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583946
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.