Agnostic.com

49 9

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned in life?

kensmile4u 8 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s possible to commit no mistakes and still lose.

Good words...

To love myself unconditionally.

Go slow, observe, choose the simpliest.

My corollary to that is: don't be in a hurry, for anything; you'll die soon enough.

Only offer free help when you expect nothing in return. Help is viewed as an entitlement by some who are receiving it.

Not to take it all so seriously, though I can't always live up to that.

and having the intelligence to know when to take it seriously

My old mum, sadly gone now, used to say ' jimmy, if you keep punching the bastards have got to fall down in the end' she was quite a character and more than capable of putting this pearl of wisdom into action literally but she meant 'keep at it son. be in it for the long game'

I like this. Prevail through persistence!

Never vote republican

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 18, 2018

No matter how much money you make - live poor.

• minimalism

Wise words indeed.

I learned it at 21, the hard way... the way you remember your most valuable lessons.... Respect is EARNED not DEMANDED..

So True!

It ends.

and you can't take anything with you so make a grand exit! Lol

Ask yourself every night as you prepare to sleep "how am I living".

I like that. i will start doing that...

A few people have said it already but... I can only control myself, my actions and my thoughts. I can't control anyone or anything else. When a situation arises, we choose, mostly subconciously, how to react... even if we don't want to admit it... Most people seem to blame how they choose to feel on something or someone else but it is empowering and humbling to realize that we do have control over how we choose to look at a situation and how we choose to feel and react.

Life is simple, yet also complicated. I think that life is a paradox. For the most part I believe in balance. good and bad. positive and negative. day and night. love and fear.

Good words. I think chaos vs order also belong in the dichotomy list.

Never underestimate the sheer scale of stupidity that can come even from the best minds.

True!

Slow up in making decisions....THINK....try and evaluate the future consequences of a decision.

Think twice before you decide once is the way I've heard this...

i can't really say i have just one. ive learned that the only one you can ever really trust is yourself, ive learned that no matter what other people think, if you are true to yourself, you can be happy, ive learned that it is not always wise to let others know when you are in pain, ive learned that what i feel now may or may not last, so it is good to keep an open mind, ive learned that animals are much easier to get along with than people...probably a bunch more but thats enough for now.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

It's a lesson I'm still trying to learn. My therapist keeps telling me that women are crazy and don't trust them. Seems I'll never learn.

LOL

You never wil, be able to master that one

@Keyboard-Mama If you knew what my therapist knows, you wouldn't say that. He sees Veterans, both male and female 8 hours a day 5 days a week and on standby on weekends. I trust his guidance and the many degrees on his wall. The women that I've dated since my separation and divorce 12 years ago, most have fit that category.

@TheLiberalGent maybe you should take his advice?

@Keyboard-Mama If there weren't so many of them, maybe I could connect with a good one now and then.

not all woman are crazy but as a woman myself, i can definitely admit that I am for sure, 100% crazy and I am proud of it.

I am responsible, in some way, for everything that happens to me, in my life. Everything is a decision. Not making a decision is also a decision. Never blame anyone but myself, when the decisions are wrong. If I am wrong, I have to own It. It is a very freeing and empowering way to live.

Be yourself, regardless of societal expectations.

If anything I do for my own good and it hurts another person, I do not do it. No gain at others expense, not even in the corporate world.

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 18, 2018

Love, kindness, generosity, gratitude, strength, compassion, empathy and commitment.

You can't go wrong by acting this way!

The lessons of trust. It is tempting to just say don’t trust anyone, but that would be one too many.

The way I approach trust is "Half is granted Half is earned".

We are all one photon; all energy is connected, time and space are an illusion.
Therefore, anything I think about someone else is really thinking it about me. That poor chicken suffering in a factory farm is part of the same energy that makes me.

As Jesus put it, love others as you love yourself. Or whatever you do for the least person, you also do it for me.
Jesus might not have existed, but much of what he was reported saying is cool.

Avoid alcohol.

as an alcoholic, i wouldn't recommend this... disease (or whatever people want to call it) on anybody else.... and yet I still drink alcohol... even though I know I shouldn't... it let's me not give a fuck and that is pretty addicting...

@M3G4N666 I am also an alcoholic, and had a decades-long drinking career before giving it up just over two years ago. Know what? I still don't give a fuck. lol

@firecracker haha yeah... different strokes for different folks... i have definitely gone sober off and on... longest i went was 8 months... i also am in a serious romantic relationship with an alcoholic so that doesn't help.. and i drink to "help" with my anxiety... i told my doc this and he prescribed me anti depressants (i have been dealing with depression as well for over a decade)... they don't help my anxiety though... the older i have gotten, the worse my anxiety has become.

@firecracker also congrats on being sober. as someone who has tried a few times, i know that it's NOT easy. seriously, good job.

Not to copy the movie Wargames, but futility...that there comes a time you should just give up and stop wasting your time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.