Agnostic.com

12 14

"Arkansas gov. signs bill letting doctors refuse to treat based on morality, religion"
[axios.com]

"Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R.) signed legislation on Friday that will allow doctors to turn away some patients due to religious or moral objections."

"It's a move opponents say will enable service providers to discriminate against patients, including LGBTQ people and others, AP writes."

"The provision, which won't take effect until this summer, gives providers "the right to not participate in non-emergency treatments that violate their conscience." It also claims to prohibit discrimination, per AP."

"Human Rights Campaign president Alphonso David said: “Governor Hutchinson is proving himself to be a cruel opponent of equality by signing this draconian medical refusal bill,” per a Friday afternoon statement.

"HRC cited a number of scenarios in which a medical worker's refusal to provide non-emergency treatment could cause serious harm, such as: Pharmacies refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control and antiretrovirals to treat HIV infection.A doctor refusing to maintain hormone treatments for a trans patient who needed inpatient care for an infection."

RussRAB 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A real doctor wouldn't turn away any patient for any reason. They took the Hippocratic oath and swore to do no harm.

DONATE today to the ACLU & similiar organizations!

So a JW doctor could just watch you bleed out rather than allow a blood transfusion?

A Mormon could judge you worthless to save because Coke cans were found in your car?

I believe there is some exception for emergency care, but you have the basic idea. It means systemic discrimination against those who are already marginalized within society has just been reenforced. We could see signs outside doctor's offices and clinics which say "No Gays Allowed, No Transgendered Allowed, No Atheists or other non-Christians Allow," and how long before we once again see "No Blacks Allowed" since American Christianity traditionally favor racial segregation.

@RussRAB Putting Dick Cheney to the front of the line for a heart transplant would have become suddenly against my religion.

I still don't know how that happened.

Oh wait $$$$$$$$$$$.

That's right.

Here the thing with old Asa. The KKK controls Harrison Arkansas. Wanna know why? Old Asa that's why.

Lets see what the AMA has to say about this. This sort of behavior goes against the Hippocratic oath doctors are supposed to take.

If a doctor refuses to treat on basis of the doctor thinking their is a violation of his morality and his religion the doctor is making judgments that he cannot religiously make. This is a catch 22 in which it is also plain that said doctor is in the wrong profession.

I hope the FFRF and ACLU jion up and challenge this bit of bull shit.

But at least we now know that the patient doesn't have the problem, the patient IS the problem. I mean, why wouldn't a doc under this law just say something like "I was forced to help, but in my heart of hearts I knew I shouldn't because of my conscience. God killed the patient, not malpractice," or some other such b.s. I know it sounds crazy, but for some reason, I can see somebody using an argument like this in a legit. court case.

Any doctor who took advantage of such laws should be disbarred from practice by the AMA for violating their hipocratic oath. Otherwise what comes next... Sorry I was going to save your life but I heard you're a liberal and your vote might cause the government to take my guns away and that would put me in danger so I will have let you die on the table.

I smell a major lawsuit coming. It will go before SCOTUS.

Oh yeah big surprise from Asswad Hutchinson.

This is the clown who said as DEA Chief under George W Bush that the US War on Drugs was a big success.

And all those religibots who think atheists should die and go straight to hell.

Sounds like they need a SCOTUS slap down.

Leelu Level 7 Mar 27, 2021

The question is if the current SCOTUS would slap it down.

@RussRAB EXactly where the right was headed by stacking the lower courts and finally the Supreme Court (can hardly bring myself to initial cap that once high office) with the religious right and a beer drunk.

@RussRAB So far they have not just supported the GOP position. This is a human rights issue and a huge slippery slope. If the religious community flooded the medical industry with workers they could in all sense of the word refuse to treat any persons they find fault with and our healthcare would be devastated. I don't think SCOTUS will go there.

@Leelu - You make a good point. This SCOTUS has not supported the GOP position in every case. They may very well slap this one down. No doubt, this law will be headed to the courts for adjudication.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.