Agnostic.com

37 4

What makes SCIENCE so believable?

What makes the science explanation about the origin of the world so believable and the Bible's creation story so fictional?

P.S. don't ya dare told me that bible story is fictional because no one has ever seen the "god".... scientist were not in the beginning of time, too.. it's all just a matter of theories and assumptions tho...

johnwein0517 4 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Science, when describing the creation of the universe is a theory. Science doesn't claim to be right, it's the best guess with the information we have. Science is constantly building on itself coming up with better solutions and answers. The Bible is a fixed story from a few thousand years ago. There is an incredible book called "The Case for God" by Karen Armstrong. It's not a book trying to convince you of anything but does a great job of explaining the origin and evolution of religion.

Thanks for giving us "The Case for God" by Karen Armstrong. You've just added another book to my "To Read" folder.

The bible are stories that were first passed down orally for hundreds of years before being writtne down...
The bible is by far not the oldest written so called holy text, and there are religon not written down that are even older..

For one science it testable and repeatable. We have journal were othere scientist confirm your finding or reject.
There nothing like that for the claims of gods. Just faith

Blind faith

this is kind of a vague question when you say origin of the world. are you asking about why scientific theory about the earth was formed? or the origin of life? (is more believable than a religious story) i will address both.

1. the theory of evolution has so much evidence to support it - (natural selection- and survival of the fittest ) we can examine it in small scale with dogs- evolved from wolves - and because human selectively bred them we now have Yorkies (adorable) from what were once huge wolves... i know that i didn't see this happen in my lifetime... but it makes logical sense to me- more than an all powerful god created everything

2. no one in the science community threatens me with Hell if i don't believe their way of thinking.

3. we have the fossil record that shows creatures much older than the bible says the earth should be

4. the idea of intelligent design is just false to me. we have to many vestigial organs and- if you were designing a city (as god might have designed a body) would you really put a sewage treatment plant right next to a playground?

It is said that man is estimated to be about 100,000+ years old civilizations formed some 6,000 years ago (same as the pyramids?). . . I wonder how Cain felt when he met those guys in Nod? He might have thought, "my dad had a concubine here!"

The genetic evidence behind evolutionary theory is just so....overwhelmingly solid. If you want to compare what scientists have observed regarding the phenotypic and genotypic characteristic of the known lifeforms on earth, you can paint a vastly more complex (and interesting) story than what we are supplied in the book of Genesis. This level of evidence creates a continuous trail that we can trace back (like a trail of breadcrumbs) that is corroborated by ancient fossil evidence as well as smaller scale ecological studies within the past couple centuries. It's not an immense leap of faith or stretch of the imagination. For me personally, I needn't suspend my disbelief to accept the scientific theories the way I would have to for the stories of the Bible.

Yes I agree. Religion has been producing physical evidence of the historicity of the people and events in the Bible but still couldn't stand up to trial . . . just like writers editing the script of a poorly crafted story of a pathetically conceived plot.

just to clear things out, I'm trying my best not to become bias on any side. all I want is intelligent answers. thank you so much pips.

We're all here to learn and make things crystal clear - as clear and absolut as what I'm holding in a bottle. So let's drink to that - salud!

Science is believable because the methods can be replicated and tested. Even when one hasn't the expertise or equipment to replicate an experiment themselves, others will and we can review their work to check for flaws in methods or analysis. Further, checks and balances are provided through peer review and making sure that research is legitimate.

Wonderful! Thank you

Because just about every single experiment we've ever done in science is completely reproducible by the average person. And is continuously tested year after year and gives the same results over and over again. The way you think of the word theory is not how the scientific community thinks of the word theory. A theory is the result of a vast amount of experimentation done by many scientists that expresses a fundamental part of the universe, and continuously withstands the tests of other scientists year after year. The reason it is called a theory is because despite all of these tests it would only take a single reproducible experiment to prove it wrong. That's why there is so much controversy surrounding quantum mechanics and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. Personally science really needs another name other than theory because it's obvious the common person sees that word and completely negates most of their belief in whatever science is being talked about afterwards.

Oh, wow! Science explained in layman's terms. How admirable! Thank you

belief is exactly the problem.

Oh, yes, there's that troublesome belief again! Lemme pour you my absolut belief, it's Raspberry flavored this time - salud!

The fact that you used the old "you weren't there" argument at the end of your post made you lose virtually all credibility for me. To answer your question, the reason science is believable and the Bible is not is because science is falsifiable and testable and the Bible is not. The Bible's claims are largely unfalsifiable, and the ones that can be tested have been shown to be false.

Simple explanation for simple minds. Thank you, I'll drink to that!

It is not the absolute truth, but it is reliable and trustworthy.

James Level 4 Oct 8, 2017

I agree, so let's drink to that. What I hold in my hand is truly the clearest and absolutely the highest spirit in a bottle.

Let's say you have a lamp in your house that does not work, you put a new bulb in and it works again. Do you believe that the old bulb was burned out, or do you believe that God made the lamp work again?

This is the same argument, just on a very simplistic scale. This is how science works- you have a hypothesis (the bulb is bad), you test it (new bulb), and then you come up with a theory (lamps that don't work have burned out bulbs). Sometimes there is something else wrong with the lamp, and we need to change our hypothesis. We also test our theory by putting the old bulb back in. If we put the old bulb back in, and the lamp does not work, this builds more evidence that our theory is correct.

An impediment to people understanding evolution is the concept of the immense time scale that it occurred. The concept of how slowly changes occur, and the trying wrap your head around what a billion years is like, is tough. But the more you know, the more it makes sense.

Whenever I imagine how very slowly time changes, it almost makes me dizzy. It's like you think of this almost interminably long period of time ... then you realize that that's just a tiny portion of it!

Darling, don't you dare forget that we are all here to learn from each other and become better persons in the process. And don't you dare forget that we all have the right to express our views and opinions in whatever decent way we can. So, be good for goodness' sake, said St.Nick! Be a good girl, behave. Patience is a nice virtue.

Science, per se, is law. And being law it is infallible. It has gone through the "test of fire" and test of time, proven beyond any doubt. So hard not to believe anything like that.

I've seen God, I always do. He is everywhere. He is everything. I see Him everytime I look in the mirror. "I and The Father are one." "I am one with God" "I am one with the universe." He made us in His own image, with His Own Self, with everything that He's made of otherwise we won't be His children/creation. Where do you think He got all the stuff to create the universe? Nowhere else but from Himself!

Said Sting: "We share the same biology regardless of ideology"

Testable, verifiable evidence.

Because on makes claims and tries to justify them though explaining their reasoning and thought process as to why those things happened, the other makes claims and justifies them by saying god said so

Umm....facts? Tangible and testable evidence. Is this a trick question?

Simple the Scientific method

Uh... it's testable...

Verifiable facts

It is based on physical evidence and the scientific method which seeks to remove biases and insert cold objectivity.

Science is not believable, but rather knowable or not knowable. That which is knowable is so because of experiment, and verifyable facts. And that which is not known but able to be acted upon as if known is so because of falsifyable hypothesis, and observable facts.

"Scientists were not in the beginning of time", but then neither was the 'man' who 'made up' the bible, go figure

"I cannot stress often enough that what science is all about is not proving things to be true but proving them to be false." - Dr. Lawrence Krauss

Logically, evolution hakes perfect sense. Life evolves into higher and to a more perfect being. Religion states that this is all we are, we will not evolve unless God says so. This seems very unlikely. Science explores all natural entities, space, time and anything that has a question. Religion explores human interest and believes that everything else has been made to serve humans. This also is very unlikely. Religion states the universe is only 6000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans lived together. Most Definitely unlikely. I can go on and on. Science is perpetuated by enlightened and very intelligent people. Religion is stagnant and is largely made up by people with visions that are most likely psychosis.

The bible story can be tested as can scientific theories. The one which stands to the evidence is the closest to the "truth". That's how science works by ruling out the unlikely and replacing it with "more likely". It isn't something you believe in it's something that is revealed as time goes on. It's like "believing" that the premises below are true:

All men are mortal

Socrates is a man

Therefore Socrates is mortal

This is not inherently something to "believe in". It's something which is clearly true if the first two premises are true.

Science is based on theory proved by evidence. It is fact, not faith.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.