Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Actor Jamie Kennedy Doesn’t Get the Criticism Over the Anti-Abortion Film He’s In | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Is it fair to condemn an actor for taking on a paid role in a Christian propaganda film if he doesn’t espouse those beliefs himself?

In 2015, when evangelist Ray Comfort made an anti-LGBTQ film, he said he wanted to cast real actors instead of “Christian” actors because he didn’t want a crappy final product. It turned out the real actors he hired were actively supportive of LGBTQ rights.

When I spoke with the film’s lead, he told me he wasn’t shown the script in advance but he also didn’t want to say no to a lead role in a film. He also figured he was playing a character. This was his job, he said, so it didn’t matter that he personally didn’t agree with the film’s premise.

I thought about that when reading this extraordinary interview by Marlow Stern of The Daily Beast with actor Jamie Kennedy, who appears in the right-wing anti-abortion propaganda film Roe v. Wade. Kennedy has appeared in Scream and hosted a TV prank show with his name in the title — you either love him or pay no attention to his work. Stern’s basic line of questioning is why Kennedy, who’s not a conservative zealot, would appear in a movie that spreads so many right-wing lies.

snytiger6 9 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jamie Kennedy is from Philly suburbs, I know who he is, Ghost Whisperer. He went to Monsignor Bonner HS. He's religious Catholic, so he's full of shit. He's looking to make the excuse he needed the money. He agrees with the premise of this film.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.