Agnostic.com

8 16

LINK Letters From An American 04/12/2021

Yesterday, at about 2:00 in the afternoon, a white police officer in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright, a Black man, after what seems to have been a routine traffic stop turned up an arrest warrant. Today, the Brooklyn Center police chief told reporters that the arresting officer intended to fire her Taser at Wright, but instead fired her gun.

Wright’s death took place about ten miles from where Derek Chauvin is on trial for killing George Floyd in Minneapolis last May. Then a police officer, Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds while bystanders implored him to stop. Chauvin, a white officer, was arresting Floyd, a Black man, on suspicion of using a counterfeit bill.

In the three weeks of Chauvin’s trial, the former officer’s defenders have noted that there was fentanyl in Floyd’s blood, and suggested he expired not because of the knee on his neck but because he abused opioids. After Wright’s death, those defending the police officer who shot him argued that Wright had brought the deadly outcome on himself by resisting arrest.

But here’s the thing: Mr. Floyd and Mr. Wright are not on trial. Whether they abused drugs, or passed bad bills, or did something that warranted arrest, or did all of those things or none of them simply does not matter. They are not on trial.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Police Officers are responsible fior public safety and the enforcement of local laws. They have immense power to charge a person with a crime, deprive them of liberty and have a person put away. It’s about time laws start getting passed making criminal penalties more strict and more serious if one of them commits a serious criminal offense. An example must be made of the bad ones who do wrong.

I take it you mean the penalties for bad cops that do wrong.

@HippieChick58 That is it.

Victims of Authoritarian abuse are always on trial. Why? Because Fascist appeasers put them there.

Exactly

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 14, 2021

Makes on wonder if the people in 'blue' know whats going on in this country!?

Aw, she 'accidently' drew and fired her gun thinking it was a Taser.
What a Fucking Piss-poor excuse is that, the last time I saw a Taser it looked NOTHING like a frigging gun.
Yes, some DO have hand-grips of sorts, I'll agree with that, BUT a Taser weighs a whole lot less than a pistol and I was extensively trained, back in the late 1970's to carry and use a Webley .44 calibre, to be exact, back when I joined the Australian Commonwealth Police.
Even back then, hand-guns had Safety levers on them, Taser do NOT have either Safety levers nor Triggers/Trigger Guards, they are Switch or Button operated ans, imo, even blind Freddy could tell the difference.

A taser is also holstered differently and carried differently than a firearm. The idea is to make it almost impossible to make this sort of mistake.

Nothing like being judge, jury, and executioner.
Oh yeah, and a racist piece of shit.

Not only are they not on trial, nor any other citizens shot and killed by police, they were not convicted of anything.

Glad you posted this again.

I have had a really weird week, so I missed a few days of posting. I'm glad you appreciate her stuff.

Agreed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.