Agnostic.com

14 17

Why it's important not to get twitterpated over a person before meeting.

Yesterday I met a new man from Plenty of Fish. Excited, he drove 3.5 hours to meet me. At 65, he was badly overweight with a big gut and out of shape. He posted old photos.

He was sedentary for over a year during the pandemic. He walked extremely slowly and could not speed up when I took him for a walk along the riverfront.

Typical of older men, he has severe hearing loss from foolish denial. In his case, gun target practice without ear protection. He refuses to wear hearing aids. Communication was lost. I don't want to spend my life shouting and repeating myself.

He was too negative. He works as a loss advisor helping businesses and public entities avoid massive lawsuits. As a result, he has a negative world view. Ranted about how he hates churches, doctors, insurance companies and lawyers. He worries about dam collapses, floods, wildfires, tornadoes and hurricanes. Not a happy person.

He was attracted to me physically: "I love your slender body. You have the slender body type I have always been attracted to." The feeling was not mutual.

He was no fun. I felt disappointed.

"Your constant negative talk is stressful for me," I told him. "On hikes, you could never keep up with me. We have different interests. We don't make a good match."

Got messages from over 100 men in three days. It was overwhelming. Yesterday my POF membership was inexplicably deleted. I submitted a request for a refund.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe you should have a profile without pictures. Hopefully they will take time to read your profile . You are too attractive for them to bother read your profile . It should not be that way , but unfortunately it is !

Seems nowadays a person could at least send a selfie or do a quick video chat so you can see they are who they portray themselves to be.

So glad I've taken myself out of the dating game. Any guy who's main attraction to me is my body or looks is only interested in one thing, and he doesn't want me to talk during that. I'd rather have someone I can talk to and joke around with.

Finally in my life I have men and women friends and no drama, and not need to get twitterpated about any of it. And if any of the men friends I make while enjoying my favorite activities show themselves to be honest, honorable intelligent guys and we then develop an attraction, then great. I'm not about to go looking for it at this point.

I'm done with hoping to find love by artificial means, though I know it works for some in larger communities. I'm not interested in anyone too terribly far from where I live, and living in a small town, I'm bound to come across everyone in it at some point.

Your story reminds me of a co-worker's sister who was so happy and excited. She had found the perfect mate: tall, young handsome in excellent shape (those were here words) . . . She explained how the next day he was to fly into Bismarck and they were to spend the day together and if all went well, arrange to get married the following week. She shared a pile of photo he had mailed to her. Most were a strapping young tall-looking man with long flowing blond hair in a tight swimsuit posed next to his surfboard. There was one low quality under exposed photo that she could not figure out. . . . poorly lit in what looked to be an indoor Halloween patty for adults. There were several people in the image. I made the grim observation that the shortest bald chubby guy was the same guy in the swimsuit only 20 years later. His appearance was not make up - - just time not being kind to him. Horrified and in denial she could not believe my observation but did recognize the short bald guy was the most likely candidate - - "Must be makeup".she concluded. I disagreed. He flew the following day in and flew out the next day on the 1st available flight.

Plenty of Fish: Never paid for the service but did build a free account over a decade ago. Thought I deleted it five years ago but about two years ago I noticed a single notification in my junk e-mail from POF that one person had sent a note or something. Nope. Most everybody in these parts are theists so I hold no hope of encountering a woman who meets my high standards of not being a superstitionalist.

I don't get it. From what I have gathered by reading your posts, you are a remarkably intelligent, healthy, informed, and kind woman with many great attributes (including planning, activities, diet and lifestyle choices, (not to mention great cooking). How can a 65 year old in poor health and attitude reasonably expect to worthy of your time?

If I (much heather and younger then the looser you described) were closer, and if I would fall within your standards, I would happily drive 3.5 hours to hike with you. Think we are over a dozen driving hours out so I'll stop wasting your time now.

You deserve nothing less then who you are: Top quality.

@NoMagicCookie

Thank you so much!

"If you learned anything from me, I hope it's to exercise regularly and focus on the positive," I texted him today. "It will make you feel happier."

Well, at least you didn’t have to drive 3.5 hours to meet him.

CS60 Level 7 Apr 24, 2021

He did not even do you the common courtesy of finding out your interests before he met you. SMH.

@anglophone

In my profile, I am clear about my interests:

I love hiking to alpine lakes, ridges and peaks surrounded by spectacular mountains. After dark, I look up and feel awed by the glowing Milky Way and billions of sparkling stars. We all need more low-level ecstasy in our lives.

I'm seeking an athletic, intelligent man with a great sense of humor who treats me with respect and kindness. Shared recreational activities are a bonding experience for couples. That's why I want a man who also loves hiking.

Although I'm a good cook, I'm not willing to do all of the meal planning, preparation and cooking. Everyone loves the magic words: "Dinner is served."

@LiterateHiker Your profile is as you state quite clear, and he did not even bother to read it.

Your Honesty Deserve Kudos.... Things Online May Happen.... but Myself I will wait the Pandemic is Over and Everybody gets back to a Comfortable Normal... Wishing you the Best of Lucks in your Pursue of Happiness... IT IS OUT THERE, FOR ALL OF US!!!!

You did the right thing. Many of us men think that we still look like we used to in our best days and I find myself being one of them. Ailments are catching up with me. As for POF they keep kicking me off there after a few days. Some claim that I'm not sincere enough. OK. I thrive at entertaining myself and I'm finding that I'm my own grandpa.

Posting old, misleading pictures in an immediate deal breaker. Yikes...

Do you have bush walking sites where people organise local bush walking events? Perhaps that might lead into something. We also have meetup sites online where people will organise a local activity. Perhaps they will provide a better opportunity to meet people with similar interests to you.

Plenty of fish but from the wrong pond.
Maybe you should meet guys on Zoom (or something like that) first to weed out overweight scammers and to avoid wasting your time.

Unfortunately, my experience, from a fit male perspective, is that they are all the same, although some, like zoom, are better at weeding out scammers. On fitness singles, you wonder what they're fit for (heart attack maybe) and pretty much the same on zoom and elite singles.

POF is where the worst stalker came from for me, along with a couple others. He would change subscriptions/profiles to continue to try to curse me out. I sent them screenshots daily for two weeks before they finally asked what I wanted. I want my money back and to never have an account again. I was fortunate that they did. I had to change my phone number because he continued calling that from multiple phones. I NEVER let them know where I live and I block GPS from my phone unless I'm actively using it.

Sorry that you keep finding duds....it's why I don't actively try anymore. I am happy by myself and doing what I enjoy.

I'm happy doing what I enjoy and I never use GPS in a phone. I do not want to be tracked or shown things to buy, etc.

I thought you had a new male companion....

@bigwavedave

I dumped Gregg because all he wants is sex and phone sex. He is in Maine having sex with another woman. He uses his Ph.D. psychologist badge to get sex from women.

To my horror, Greg, 65, said he has never had an STD test. He told me that after we had sex.

I always get STD tests on December 1: International Aids Day.

Last Friday, I had STD tests and am awaiting the results. Fingers crossed.

@LiterateHiker And this is another reason I'm not all that bummed to be single and not dating.

@LiterateHiker that is unfortunate. I am sorry to hear that.

I am willing to guess of those over 100+ messages, 98% were scammers. Times are tough, the scammers seem to proliferate in times like that. Your dates sounds really sucky. I don't think WA state needs to worry about tornadoes or hurricanes, I'm surprised his list did not include earthquakes which is a big concern that will lead to dam collapses where you are. My youngest was 3 when we moved to Tacoma, she called Mt Ranier Mount Raindeer. It always makes me smile and helps me remember the name of that potential volcano. I am with you on the hearing loss. I wear hearing aids now, they can be a PITA, but the benefits of hearing better are huge. My ex needs HA, but refuses to even consider it. I know what he is missing, I refuse to let hearing loss affect my relationship with my kids and grands. I do it for them, and to stay employed. Ex is retired, and doesn't care about the rest. Which is a good part of why he is my ex. Your experience doesn' t make me want to reconsider any dating sites, but you go girl for getting out there.

@HippieChick58

Thank you for your insightful reply. Good for you!

I can understand your reaction. Probably good to cancel that. I hope you stop getting messages from them. When I was a POF member I found I had to stop notifications first then cancel, or the motivations would still come mysteriously. Maybe they’ve fixed that by now. It’s been a few years

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:591776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.