Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Alien life looks more and more likely. Catholics are ready.

I just loved this nonsense. Catholics are ready for aliens. Ok.

Now, with UFO disclosures appearing almost daily -- though not on this site of alleged open-minded people. It remains a taboo subject, with members telling us with absolute certainly that aliens are impossible and travel around the universe also impossible. Such certainty, they have. Must be nice to feel so certain in the face of all we don't know.

However, Catholics are ready for aliens. Well, that's great. Wondering, however, what they'd say if aliens turn up and tell them that only low developed species believe in imaginary gods, and who the hell is this Jesus guy and you did what to him?

They'd better be careful about what they wish for. I doubt any answers aliens would give them would please him. Yes it's a bit of a fun fantasy, but one I'd like to see.

David1955 8 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On the lighter side here, I can imagine that IF an Alien ship from another world elsewhere in this Universe was to land in front of the Vatican, the occupants were to see the bizarre attires, etc, of the Catholic Priests, et, etc, one may well hear a voice from the ships pilot saying, " I told you Captain, it WAS a Right turn at Antares, not a bloody left one, now look where you've brought us, a world full of completely insane cross-dressing beings with weird hats and other crazy shit."

Agreed. I have always felt that if nice aliens turned up, after a short period knowing us, they'd likely say, 'Zod, crank up the hyperdrive engines. If we haul ass we can take coffee and cake at Alpha Centauri by lunchtime. If we hang around here they might nail us to a cross. .... See ya Earthlings. Wierdos! " Seriously.

Imo, we should at least TRY to go from the old and tired "U.F.O" ideology to something like Inexplicable Atmospheric/Airborne Occurrences/Events.
We are, after all is said and done, not much more than young children when it comes to knowing and understanding the vast Universe that surrounds us, are we not?
We, more often than not, will spend our time debating, discussing, etc, etc, as whether or not a Mystical, Magical, Invisible Sky Fairy/Sky Daddy could have ever existed/has ever truly existed, BUT when it comes to Life from elsewhere in the Universe then a greater percentage of us almost immediately set about dismissing any and all of it completely out of hand.
So, WHY is that I ask?
Is it so FRIGHTENING to simply lift our heads above the rim of those neat little boxes we choose to live in and start to see and think outside of them for a change?

Yes, I don't like conflating alien existence with gods, like some here do. No one has ever come up with a verifiable way to prove any god and I'm sure never will. The UFO issue is about unexplained physical phenomena , and should be evaluated as such, objectively. There seem to be a lot of reasons to suspect authorities have information and know more about this subject. If the explanations are terrestrial, then let's see what they have. Those who jump on those of us asking such questions and say it's just like asking about dragons and fairies and gods really piss me off.

I think that alien life is almost a certainty. But that they come to earth, having the technology to cross interstellar space, but do not have the technology, and planning, to fully hide from our primitive detection systems, since hide is what they seem to want to do. That seems doubtful.

And yes, there is a lot of evidence, but amounts of evidence, if it is weak evidence like vague, and only occasional sightings by eye witnesses and blurry photographs, however many, does not amount to much. Indeed, there is even more of that sort of evidence for, ghosts, fairies, and Christian saintly miracles, so if I took the evidence for alien visitors on trust, instead of suspecting optical illusions, software faults, freak electric storms, and hallucinations etc. (It is a long list.) then I would have to believe in those three things too.

Possible but far from proved.

Well, we don't actually know what the authorities know, do we? Did you read the interview with Obama a day or so ago? Talk about evasive. No one should jump to any conclusions, but something sure is fishy about this subject, and the smell is starting to become very noticeable.

My own prediction, purely speculative, is that aliens are out there, and they have run us through their analysis and decided to watch us to see how we destroy ourselves, wisely keeping away from the terminal species we are, and then write us up in a cosmic journal under a title like, 'The little pathetic human species that couldn't." No good trying to help us. People would turn against them, even if they had good intentions. It's almost impossible to help utterly self-destructive people, and species. Just my speculation, based on inferential but not deductive reasoning.

When a fleet of UFO's flew west from eastern Europe, NATO's SHAPE went nuts. The UFO's flew north into space, but not before forcing NATO to ask how to prevent such incidents from triggering WWIII. A report was developed and at least 4 species identified. In the absence of means to develop that information, one has to ask what source provided that tidbit. The Catholic Church is a likely suspect...

This story has some basis in fact, but has not been confirmed. While Robert Dean checked out, it is also very possible that disinformation was generated to discredit the story. A supposedly faked document alluded to the report Dean referenced, but while it was disputed by the SHAPE historian, it displayed classified features denoting either authenticity or authoritative source.

Here are other past posts related to UFOs:

[agnostic.com]

Charming diatribe! And about as intelligent as any "believer" in the extant religions.
Desperate to believe in Something, a "higher power",are ya? Too bad, so sad......

It is interesting how UFO believers use exactly the same language and "reasoning" as those who claim Jesus is about to return. Just swap <aliens> for <Jesus> and their prophetic beliefs are interchangeable.

BUT is it actually just a mere Diatribe?

@Druvius Imo, no really since have been numerous cases of Inexplicable Atmospheric/Airborne Phenomena recorded since the very earliest of times.
And as was once written, "There are more things betwixt the Heavens and the Earth than the mere minds of man can ever hope to fully comprehend."

@Triphid The same argument can be used to suggest angels and ghosts are real. Argument from ignorance.

@Druvius I beg to differ since there IS no actual verifiable Proof/Evidence what-so-ever available to show that such Paranormal things have ever existed.
But there is Scientific Evidence based upon the differentiation in the light emitted from solar bodies by the transit ( passage/s) of orbiting planets that show that there may well be and more than possibly ARE other worlds out there more than capable of supporting life, perhaps NOT LIFE as we refer to it here on Earth but LIFE none-the-less.
And given that, using our so far LIMITED comprehension of Time, etc, etc, and we 'claim' that the Universe is, in our greatly limited understanding, merely X number of Billions of Years old, who is to say with 100% conviction that we are COMPLETELY correct?
Who can state, also with 100% conviction that Life evolved and developed elsewhere in the Universe long, long before it happened to evolve here on this tiny chunk of rock and dust we call Earth?
Are you so well stuck in your own personal rut of ignorance that you simply REFUSE to see and consider the alternatives?

@Triphid I am not claiming that technological life such as ours does not exist in the Universe. Since we are here, it's clearly possible. I'm just pointing out that no evidence for same has yet been discovered. SETI has explored a number of promising avenues and come up with nothing. There are no compelling UFO reports that indicate otherwise, and thus no reason to categorize belief that UFOs are evidence o aliens is any different than all other belief in the existence of magical creatures. I hope we discover aliens in my lifetime, hasn't happened yet. Go SETI!

@Druvius Have you ever considered/thought that such an advanced civilisation may well have evolved/gone well beyond such 'primitive' means of communication like mere radio signals?
Consider this, a Radio Signal, being derived from an Electro-magnet Pulse System, such as Radio truly is btw, takes 1 entire Solar Year to travel the distance f 6 Million, Million Miles through space, i.e 1 Light Year in Astronomical Terms.
The NEAREST Star system to Earth is the Binary Star System of Alpha and Beta Centauri, some, if memory serves correct, 7.5 LIGHT Years distance so multiply that 7.5 x 6 Million, Million Miles and see what a distance through space you come up with.

@Triphid SETI does far more than just listen for radio signals. And still coming up nada. They are still some very promising avenues left to explore, and yes, one can't prove a negative. At this point though, aliens are still conjectural.

@Druvius Perhaps other Extra-terrestrial Civilisations have evolved much, much further along the way than we have.
I.e. They need no primitive communication systems such as we are still dependent upon, have you ever stopped to consider that possibility?
After all is said and done, DO NOT we Humans judge everything else around us by our OWN vain Standards?

@Triphid I'm not quite sure what your point is, yes "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine." I don't deny aliens are possible. There just isn't any evidence for them yet. Until there is they remain imaginary creatures.

@Druvius On that being your take then please explain how ancient cultures long before the advent of so-called civilisation as we know ALL seem to share the same/similar mythological stories involving sightings, etc, of 'beings' coming from the Night Skies.
Examples coming readily to mind here are,
Australian Aboriginals, - the Wandjina,
Aztecs, Mayans, Incas, - Sky Beings arriving and giving them knowledge, and lets us NOT forget the 'founding' tales of Judaism, Christianity and even Islam WHERE there are numerous stories of the arrivals of Fiery Chariots from the skies, etc, etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597489
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.