Agnostic.com

14 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are frustrated Sadistic bitches.

One of the countless things about Catholicism that has always puzzled me is that the WHOLE of the Catholic Church, aka The Universal Empire of Paedophilia and Scamming the Gullible, is 1,000% against polygamy and bigamy BUT, Nuns are called The Brides of Christ are they not?
So, is this not just Religiously endorsed POLYGAMY because the Christ can have so many Brides and we mere mortals cannot?

This is funny but that entire sister and brother bit was too much for me. Believers think it is true because we all got here by incest through Adam and Eve. This is either god's mistake or his "sin."

Tweety bird chirp chirp chirp.

I have a sister who is a Sister. I have on occasion called her “Sister Sister”. She entered the convent after three failed marriages. Her grandchildren jokingly call her “Sister Grandma”. Little know fact, even among Catholics: nuns are cloistered and do not interact outside their Order. Sisters are the ones you see in public...teaching, nursing, etc. So, you have likely never seen a Nun. I have no problem calling a Sister ‘Sister”, even though I am a lapsed Catholic, because that is how they wish to be addressed. (Nuns are also addressed as “Sister”, but you will never have the opportunity.) It is a title bestowed upon a Sister by her Order after several years of study, so you COULD consider it to be a Degree of sorts. That said, I respect your right to choose for yourself how to address Sisters. The same as I respect your right how to address Doctors, Professors, and your next door neighbor. As for myself, I prefer people I do not know to NOT address me by my first name. It is disrespectful to do so, especially at my advanced age. I do prefer to be called Miss [last name] at doctors offices, courtrooms, or any other professional environment. Everyone else who is not my personal friend may feel free to call me Miss Kathleen, as is the respectful custom in the south. I DETEST it when some 20-year-old hollers “Kathleen” at the doctor’s office, when it is my turn to got to a patient room, and I do not respond until they call my full name. People have no respect for elders anymore, but I am not acquiescing to it.

I have two actual Sisters. To refer to any other women as "Sister" would feel creepy to me. I would not call the guy in the religious costume "Father" either. He ain't my Dad.

I have never spoken to a nun and I have lived in two cities, El Paso and Louisville, with a whole lot of Catholics. I am sure I would just call them Ma'am.

@Sticks48. Not all sisters wear a habit anymore, so you cannot be sure you have not talked to one. But I do know THIS about you: you are always respectful to people who don‘t offend you.

Her point is they should be referred to as "Sister" out of respect. Having seen how many Nuns act in Catholic School I have no respect for them, and I doubt I would acknowledge their presence at all.

I'm a none, so I don't care.

Certainly prefer your “habit” 😉

It all depends on the relationship. Sisters could fall under family or there gender in general. Religion shouldn't be brought into anything.

I call people what they want to be called as long as there's no intent to deceive. I would not call someone a Dr if i knew they were not.

Leelu Level 7 May 26, 2021

I agree.

Nun or sister is fine by me.

That's certainly thought provoking. For myself I'd generally respect people's titles whether or not I was part of the institution that bestowed the title. For example I would address a professor by the correct title despite me not being enrolled in any educational establishment. I'd acknowledge military titles despite never having served.

One exception does spring to mind. I would refuse to call Gillian McKeith by her preferred title "Doctor"
I don't recognise her right to the title. In fact I agree with the UK Advertising Standard Agency that using the title in connection with her unscientific nutritional advice is likely to give the misleading impression that she has medical qualifications. In fact she claims a PhD in journalism though that too is disputed.

Conversely I'd happily refer to Captain Sensible by that title if he asked me to.

It seems my instinct in this regard are less to do with whether I feel obliged to do so and more to do with whether I actively oppose either the individual or organisation declaring the title.

I'd refer to the Sisters as such simply because I'd be going along with convention, but I'm not opposed to the Catholic Church as a whole. Huge parts of it can get in the sea as far as I'm concerned but I know too many decent upstanding Catholics to tar them all with the same brush. Full disclosure: I'm related to many of those.

In the case of this story I'd read this man's actions as more less to do with him not being a Catholic, and more to do with feeling an opposition to the Church. I'm just an Atheist but I suspect the subject of this discussion (judging by this action alone) takes it a step further and is verging on Anti-Theism. I've nothing intrinsically against our more militant bretheren but it's not for me.

With you...completely.

I would referee to a nun as a sister. I have no animosity towards them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599186
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.