Agnostic.com

15 16

LINK Woman in racist Central Park confrontation sues over firing

NEW YORK ✈ — The white woman who was widely condemned and fired after a videotaped dispute with a Black birdwatcher in Central Park filed a lawsuit against her former employer, accusing the company of not doing an investigation before her termination because of her race and gender.

In her federal lawsuit, Amy Cooper said the company, Franklin Templeton, “nurtured” the idea of the confrontation last May as “a racial flashpoint, characterized as a privileged white female ‘Karen’ caught on video verbally abusing an African American male with no possible reason other than the color of his skin.”

She said in the lawsuit it wasn’t racism that led her to call police but fear, because she was alone and being “aggressively” confronted, and that the company would have known that with an investigation.

Cooper, who had been working as a portfolio manager at the investment firm until she was fired in the backlash to the call, accused the company of discrimination, saying an investigation would have been done if she were not a white woman.

“We believe the circumstances of the situation speak for themselves and that the company responded appropriately. We will defend against these baseless claims,” Franklin Templeton said in a statement.

The confrontation between Cooper and the man, Christian Cooper, who is not related to her, began over her dog being unleashed in a section of the park where that was prohibited.

Christian Cooper posted video on social media at the time telling her to go to another section of the park. The encounter escalated, with Amy Cooper warning him that she would call police and tell them there was an African American man threatening her life.

She then did call, saying she was being threatened.

She was also charged with filing a false police report, which was dismissed in February after she completed a diversionary counseling program. Prosecutors said the program included education about racial equality and five therapy sessions.

In the lawsuit, she said Christian Cooper had a history of confrontations with dog owners over their animals being off-leash, and that it was his “practice and intent to cause dog owners to be fearful for their safety and the safety of their dogs.”

Christian Cooper had no comment.

HippieChick58 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't wait to see how this plays out...😂

Racist Karen tries to play the reverse racist card. Racist Karen is incapable of learning. Racist Karen needs to be confined to a nunnery.

2 assholes, the woman and her lawyer.

MizJ Level 8 May 28, 2021

Christian should have called the police or animal control about a loose dog in the park.

You expect a black man to call the police unnecessarily? They've been shot for less.

@barjoe Good point!

This woman has a lot of gall, but not much sense or morality.

A Karen

bobwjr Level 10 May 28, 2021

Racists are not a protected group under Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act.

She lied and screamed to 911 that the black man was attacking her. He could have easily been killed by police.

Worldwide condemnation and bad press reflected on her employer.

Go ahead. Pat yourselves on the back. It's easy for you all to vilify Amy Cooper and call her "Karen". That being said, she reflected badly on the company, they have a right to choose not to have her work there. Christian Cooper (no relation lol) was the bird watcher in Central Park whom she called 9/11 on. He said it more eloquently that I ever could.

They can scream for her head while leaving their own prejudices unexamined. They can push for her prosecution and pat themselves on the back for having done something about racism, when they've actually done nothing, and their own Amy Cooper remains only one purse-clutch in the presence of a black man away.
'I must err on the side of compassion'

[cnn.com]

All of these things happen when you are so unhappy in life, feel that you are not respected, and also have nothing else to do. This can happen even if your name is not Karen.

But now we have a name for it.

Very interesting. Often when heading back to Lopez we would arrive at the ferry terminal early in order to do the wonderful beach walk. This walk often led to tension by me as my late partner would always go after people who had their dogs off lease (dogs were required to be on a lease when on the beach board walk). One time she confronted a large, older male and he asked her "and who are you?" She replied "a concerned citizen" and that seemed to work. He bent over pretending to put the dog on his lease and we walked away. Upon returning I saw him standing next to the beach with his dog behind him clearly off lease. He turned and saw us and said "uh oh" and turned and looked away. My late partner was admiring the flowers and not paying attention (whew) and we walked by. She even complimented owners who had their dogs on lease and these compliments led to some interesting talks. Of course my partner was a petite (5'0", 100 lb woman) which helped her get away with things others (like me) would be jumped on for. I would say a black male would be set upon especially by a white woman. Often things are about body language.

The problem is, the next time i go there, there will be big signs saying No Dogs Allowed.
So I too confront these asshats, and even more someone not removing poop!

@AnneWimsey I have a silver dollar sized scar on my forearm from a dog bite. Twice in my life I have been attacked, I am not at all amused by dogs being free to roam and not controlled in public. I have actually shown people my scar when chastising them for their garbage behavior, it shuts them up and usually gets them to comply.

That bite required 2 Emergency Room visits and IV and oral antibiotics for the nasty infection, dogs have filthy mouths.

Ffs obviously she didn't learn her damn lesson

She is pitiful.

Imo, a Complete and Total waste of precious Time, Space and Oxygen to say the very least.

SO it FINALLY comes out!! Dog owners with their dogs off leash are the true victims and must fear a black man pointing out they are in violation of a city ordinance. The ordinance that states the area where Mr. Cooper was trying to enjoy birdwatching without having to worry about an unleashed dog either being too friendly or possibly attacking him is at the base of these offended dog off leash people and THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO FEAR THIS MAN!!! Did I sum this up correctly? Her employer is just another entity that simply can not see she is the wronged person in all this.
Heads up any males thinking this woman would make a good partner or roommate - she is scary!!

It's too bad this is only a voluntary order. Perhaps if there was a fine amount listed and even a number showing that some had paid fines (whether true or not) might be an incentive to get others to obey the rule.

Screw you, Karen! You were a racist bitch that filed a false police call that could have escalated incredibly! You did it because he was black & you thought because you were a white, female 'professional' you would get away with it. You made your bed, now lie in it!
I hope you have to cover the legal costs of your former company!

White privilege illustrated. The fact that her blatantly ignoring the rules was the cause of the incident has somehow morphed into her as the victim? Give me a break.

There is a conservative atheist who claims he/she/IT has never been given an example of white privilege when he/she/IT asked for one. I have already wrote OFF that person off as an IDIOT! ----Your definition and analysis is DIVINE. White privilege happens when 4 elements exist: [1] A history of favoritism for members of the white race. [2] Whites use "cry wolf behavior" and blame against the real victim (nonwhites) [3] Whites manipulate the events of an incident to somehow convince authorities that he/she, IT is the victim [4] Agents accept the "cry wolf behavior" as being more valid than that of innocent individual(s) and then the nonwhites conveniently become "prey" targets and are consequently, unfairly blamed because they are not white and cannot convince agents (police) otherwise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599550
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.