Agnostic.com

19 35

Interesting piece of information right here if indeed, it is true. This would be proof that he never did exist. Why would anyone question it if all these are the facts.

mistymoon77 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The thing that I find so interesting is that even though there is no historical proof of this Jesus entity, the propaganda machine has been working so long and so hard that even logical people find themselves questioning the obvious fact that there is no proof. They want to hedge their bets, keep an open mind, etc. etc.
The only proof of Jesus is the Bible and that amounts to the same thing as the only proof of the Cat in the Hat being the Dr. Suess books.

Not a better way of covered up.... Right? Just saying!

There is so much controversy, because the meme is trying to survive, even here, and it has done so for so long because it is good at it.

Debating if this person does exist, no pun intended, there is nothing anywhere written in stone, that he is a real human. Everything mentioned is just a theory. If jeebus is not mentioned throughout Greek and Roman history, it is very possible, this got invented but why and by whom and for what purpose.

Anyone know about illogical atheist Richard Dawkin's mind virus organism? I find it is the best understanding of the biological nature of Jesus character as the biblical test purports Jesus character to be a mind virus organism that evolved into a person.

A meme (/miːm/ MEEM)[1][2][3] is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads by means of imitation from person to person within a culture and often carries symbolic meaning representing a particular phenomenon or theme.[4] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices, that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[5]

The word meme itself is a neologism coined by Richard Dawkins, originating from his 1976 book The Selfish Gene.[12] Dawkins's own position is somewhat ambiguous. He welcomed N. K. Humphrey's suggestion that "memes should be considered as living structures, not just metaphorically"[12] and proposed to regard memes as "physically residing in the brain."[13] Although Dawkins said his original intentions had been simpler, he approved Humphrey's opinion and he endorsed Susan Blackmore's 1999 project to give a scientific theory of memes, complete with predictions and empirical support.[14]

consider a mind meme that transmits thru many generations of people as i ows and develops as the old testiment people of Israel pass on their cultural meme.
John 1:1 in the beginning was the logos, the logos was with God and was God. John 1:14 …the logos become flesh (a person).
John 3:6 …that which is born of Pnuema…
Pnuema of greek corresponds for the meaning related to ruach: force like breath. The power of words spoken.
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
For just one example of scholar comparing old to new testiment : Paul Humber author of: 400 Prophecies, Appearances or Foreshadowings of Christ in the Tanakh (Old Testament). This shows us the purported life of Jesus in new testament was a repeat of old testiment”meme", or logos(thought, word, speech). One view could say, the life of Jesus was preprogrammed by old testiment. D.N.A. is the preprogrammed genetic code that makes up our physical bodies. Not to say our entire lives are preprogrammed by genetic code, but to compare the life of Jesus a “cognition entity", preprogrammed to fulfill laws and prophets as the words, logos and meme are the programming cognition entity “D.N.A.”.

1 Corinthians 2:16 …But we have the mind of Christ.
Only giving brief overview, we see objectively what they originally meant and and what the new testiment gives eye witness statements for. Now with scientific understanding about cognition and Illogical atheist Richard Dawkins articulation of a mind cognition organism for understanding the natural means of the bringing about of the Egyptian, Jesus style God, into the nation of Israel about 2000 years ago. Isaiah 19:25 ... the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, “Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance.”

As biblical text gives credit, not plagerzing, that the mind virus come along with Israel as they were purported to of fled Egypt.

Mind virus mutation or a form of mind virus organism offspring, it can still be seen today in the Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worship government.

The uneducated with no interest in mystical traditions and the esoteric may regard Ancient Egypt as little more than a place of pagan worship, strange hieroglyphics, and monuments erected by thousands of Hebrew slaves. But those more learned, especially those having undertaken the initiative rituals of Freemasonry, will see a link between the Egyptian metaphysical tradition and modern mystery schools, of which Freemasonry is one.
[gaia.com]?

Word Level 8 June 18, 2021

Ya just gotta have faith, apparently 😂

Mvtt Level 7 June 18, 2021

True. The first references to Jesus occur well after his supposed life (odd - you'd have thought that a chap walking on water would attract SOME comment) and are then only references to what other people say - hearsay.

Actual evidence of Jesus's existence is astonishingly absent for a miracle performing man, who lived in a society known for keeping records.

I discovered this as fact and it had a lot to do with me becoming atheist. When you go backwards over 300 years to get the words and teachings of your god that is too much for me. Once you know how the bible was put together you understand why it has so many contradictions.

Aristotle does lend a nuanced historicity to the meme, the myth, and to agnosticism in general.

As I read history, I understand that Jesus wasn't really invented until the 4th century AD.

mischl Level 8 June 17, 2021

325 C.E. to be precise at the First Council of Nicaea as Convened by Decree and Order of Emperor Constantine of Rome.
That was when the entire contents of both the O.t. and the N.T. ( including the Gospels) were decided upon written, edited, re-written, re-edited and the finally decided upon and are now what the Christfools believe as the Truths and Words of God.

Curious quote from Bart Ehrman to make, since he remains a committed historicist in Christology, namely that there was a historical Jesus, though not the supernatural Jesus Christians believe in. His rejection of mythicist historians -- those who claim the burden of proof for a historical Jesus has not been meet -- is such that he refuses to debate many of them. Of course he is right in this quote, but it is also arguable that the whole jesus story is a myth too, though he wouldn't agree.

A lot of Christians cite the historian Josephus as "proof" that he existed. The problem with that is that the writings that they cite have proven to be fake.

A Josephus actually existed according to Roman records.
Though he WAS not the Josephus of the bible mythologies.
He was a captive of the Romans, a Traitor to the Jews, became a trusted Slave and Scribe to the Flavian family, gained his freedom and legal took up the name of Flavius Josephus when he had written his biography of the Flavians entitled " The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit."

@Triphid I didn't say he didn't exist; I said that all references made by him was fake. I apologize about not being that clear.

@kiramea No need to apologise my friend, let the Christfool Apologetics do that instead, they are Experts at it, are they not?

Josephus was also born 5 years AFTER Jesus death so he’s not a reliable source anyway

ill take it back even further

why wouldnt anybody question all of the claims from a book, especially after people learned how to write in books?

nobody needs to find their answer from another persons perspective

great claims require great evidence

the story of the messiah has been regurgitated for millenia before the bible

Might sound surprising, but facts are not always a great way to get to truth.
And things don’t necessarily have to “exist” to be real enough, either

science deals with facts and it is always open to be challenged and if need be, will revise

things definitely have to exist to be real, sry byrd

@HeAdAkE ok

The Roman occupiers of that entire region were meticulous record keepers.
If there had been anyone named Jesus of Nazareth, Bethlehem, or any of the other towns and settlements in the region, who were to have caused the Romans that much trouble, there would have been a mention of it somewhere.
There isn't.

KKGator Level 9 June 17, 2021

Yes, not to mention that there are a lot of contemporaneous sources from that time, and it was a very important period as the Roman Republic was mutating into a full empire under a caesar, yet not a simple historical reference to anything to do with these events exists.

@David1955 Precisely!!

@David1955 Actually @ David1955, by the time of the Jesus myth taking hold, the Roman Conquered world was already a fully formed Empire under the Rule of an Emperor, that Emperor being Tiberius, successor to the FIRST Roman Emperor, one Gaius Julius Octavian Caesar, adopted son and nephew of Gaius Julius Caesar.
After ruling for 5 years as Princeps Roma ( First Person of Rome) Octavian was made Emperor by Senate Decree and thus changed his name to Gaius Julius Octavian Caesar Augustus, Emperor of Rome.

@Triphid I know all that. I was referring to the fact that the period of Julio-Claudian emperors from Augustus to Nero was the transformational period from the old republic to the Empire under Caesers, begun with the Principate under Augustus after the Battle of Actium. My point is that any Jesus would have been born during the time of Augustus and died during the reign of Tiberius. It's a very important period to historians, and there are a lot of primary contemporaneous sources in various languages, but not a single reference to any person resembling their Jesus exists, though there are sources to prove the existence of other figures in this story like Pilate, Caiphus and Herod, so it's what we now call historical fiction: a mythical figure imposed over a time place and real historical figures. Christians will never accept this however.

@David1955 Yes and No to the establishment and time thereof for the Roman Empire.
Some Roman Historians place the establishment of the Empire as being an Empire at the time when, by decree (???) of the Roman Senate Gaius Octavian Caesar went from Princeps Roma to Emperor of Rome and thus added 'Augustus' to his title/name.
Hence the time disparity of approx. 5 years between being Princeps Roma and Emperor of Rome.
IF, and this is a MASSIVE almost Cosmic sized if btw, there was 'Hebrew Messiah name Yesu or Yesuha (Jesus) then his birth MAY have occurred during the Spring of the year of the years of either 2 or 1 B.C.E. BUT NOT in Nazareth since Nazareth was known, even then as nothing more than an abandoned Hebrew Burial Ground, NOT a township/village or settlement of any kind since it had NO permanent source of fresh water available to and the only actual water source nearest to it was a 'tainted source' which was fed, seasonally from a similarly seasonal highly saline spring.
Governor Pilate, actual name being Gaius Pilatus Pontifex Secundus, was a Secondary Augur at the Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus in Rome until given the Governorship of Illyria, NOT Judaeh.
He was exiled to Cyprus by Caligula, in the same years as Caligula rose to become Emperor after the unexplained SUDDEN death of Tiberius, for being accused of 'skimming from the Taxes' raised whilst he was Governor of Illyria.
There were 2 actual Herods in history, Herod the Great and his son, Herod Antipas, both were about as sane as a dog with rabies.
Some historians posit that Herod Antipas not only had his brothers murdered, married his elder brother's widow BUT also had his father murdered by poisoning as well, but hey, what can one expect after all.
But Herod Antipas WAS only the Titular Ruler/Puppet King/Tetrarch of Galilee UNDER the Roman Rule anyway, he was nothing else historically wise.
Caiphus does appear in records kept by Rome from that period but only as mere foot notes and little more.
He was High Priest Elect of the Temple but NEVER recorded as having held a Trail for Treason, and Sedition, etc, etc, against a Hebrew person.
He ALWAYS sent condemned prisoners to the Roman Governor for FINAL Judgement and possible Execution since Hebrew Law stated that ONLY Death by Stoning was permissible and ONLY for Crimes of Heresy and Blasphemy, NOT Treason or Sedition.
Your are correct though, the Faithfools will NEVER accept Historical Facts over their own mythical belief systems, that, imo, is, sadly, the nature of the beast.

Yup no one

bobwjr Level 10 June 17, 2021

Most believers answer to this is that he was not important enough to merit mention.
BUT if that is the case why are their multiple citations for John the Baptist, Simon Magus, Jesus Barabbas, the four Herod brothers, even a wandering nut job known as Saul of Tarsus, but none of them in reference to being associated with a Jesus of Nazareth.
It is almost as if someone made up a story and fitted it around real people to make it more believable.

Impossible! They didn't have TV or movies, so there was no call for made-up historical dramas and series.

I suspect that’s ezackly what happened; to what end is the debatable part

@Petter
"A book, its like the internet made out of a tree"
Brian Griffin

@LenHazell53 printing didn't exist either. Only laborious manuscripts. (hand-writings)

It WAS created by the Council of Nicaea in 325 C.E. under the commands of Emperor Constantine of Rome.

Apart from math, not even science has "proof" for ANYTHING. There is always doubt/error-bars/new-info (science can disprove some things).

I'm skeptical of this 'meme' . . .
a) the 'pic' shows a statue of (I think) an 'ancient' -- greek/roman of BCE, while 'Jesus' is of CE
b) have you read (I have) Ehrmans' book ?

[en.wikipedia.org]

From what I understand about that. In time you are correct but not having solid evidence I cannot say but I'm going to go with if anything it was a collection of stories about multiple men. 🤔

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.