Agnostic.com

2 0

GEORGE PACKER IS PERHAPS THE MOST HIGHLY REGARDED WRITER AND THINKER ON AMERICA SINCE WALKER LIPMAN'S 1922 MANUFACTURE OF CONSENT

This conversation first appeared in Notes From the Editor in Chief, a monthly newsletter that brings readers inside The Atlantic; it has been condensed and edited for clarity.

Jeff: You’ve written entire books on this general subject, but try to answer this question in a couple of lines: What causes you to worry the most about America’s future as a unified, coherent country?

George: We Americans don’t just disagree with one another. We don’t just have different values, narratives, and perceptions of truth. We actually see one another as moral threats, incompatible with all that we consider good, and we fantasize about a country in which the threats are no longer around. Not to be melodramatic, but you can recognize this kind of thinking in countries that fall into civil war.

Jeff: You think we’re actually heading to civil war?

George: Not likely, not with violence on a large scale. More like a cold civil war that continues to erode democracy, make every election seem existential, and prevent us from solving our major problems, with long-term decline.

Jeff: Are there, in your mind, credible, discernible off-ramps?

George: I see three ways this could change. One is separation (not actual secession, but red and blue areas having more and more political autonomy). Another is conquest (one side wins a decisive majority). Neither of these seems very tenable. The third off-ramp is more complex but more feasible: government-led improvements in people’s lives, a reversal of the inequality that’s at the root of much of our disunion, along with socially binding ideas like universal national service and better K–12 education (civics!).

Jeff: Reversing “the inequality that’s at the root of our disunion” seems like a pretty big damn thing. But put that aside: How do you convince people that (a) selfless national service and 🍺 a universal civics agenda could, or should, be done?

George: Becoming more equal as Americans is a huge thing. What matters is that we start moving in the right direction—and I think in recent months we’ve begun. As for national service and universal civics (though not a national curriculum, which would probably self-destruct), they would take some explaining, some persuading. But I don’t think they’re impossible. Majorities of both Democrats and Republicans rate civic education as the single best way to strengthen American identity, and there’s a bipartisan bill in Congress to spend $1 billion on U.S. history and civics. Maybe Americans are beginning to grasp that a Thirty Years’ War between the red and the blue is not the best way to remain a strong democracy. Maybe there’s an untapped, even unconscious desire, especially among younger people, to be asked to do something larger than themselves. We’ll never know until we try.

BUT WHAT SHOULD WE DO? WHAT'S AT THE ROOT OF THE INEQUALITY? THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

YES, THE COPS NEED CONTROLLING, THEY HAVE ALWAYS HAD A SUBSTANTIAL NUMBER OF SOCIOPATHS IN THEIR RANKS. YES, SLAVERY IS AMERICAS ORIGINAL SIN. BUT THE PROBLEM IS MUCH MORE COMPLEX THAN THAT, IT'S NOT A MEDIEVAL PUPPET SHOW OF GOOD GUYS AND BAD GUYS. THE FLOYD BLM EXTORTION HAS BLOWN INTO SOMETHING MUCH MORE FUNDAMENTAL AND OMINOUS. DO WE SIMPLY PAY THEM OFF, LIKE AT FALLUJAH, AND ACCEDE TO THEIR MYTH MAKING LIES? CAN THAT BUY THEIR EQUALITY FOR THEM? IF WE TRY, ISN'T THAT THE MOST INSIDIOUS FORM OF RACISM NOT YET DEFINED IN THIS AGE OF DAILY NEW RACISMS? LAST WEEK THE NPR / BLM SHILLS PROPOSED A 16 TRILLION DOLLAR PROGRAM TO " ENCOURAGE BLACK ENTREPRENEURS ". MEANWHILE THE ICE CAPS ARE MELTING. ............. OR SHOULD WE, WITH ALL DUE DILIGENCE AND GOOD WILL, HELP THEM TO WEED THEIR OWN GARDEN. A FAKE ILLUSORY PAY- OFF RIOT FEARING EQUALITY? OR ONE WITH SOME HOPE OF BEING REAL?

holdenc98 7 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your disparagement of NPR shows a distinct bias. NPR abd POBS are the most objective sources of news that we have. The political right and too damned many Republican politicians are already trying to conduct a vicious civil war. For decades, McConnell and others have done their best to make sure that government does not work so that they can persuade our people to downsize and diminish the power of government so that greed and lawless exploitation can take over

Put the blame where it belongs with the thugs like Gingrich, Delay, Armee, the Trump cabal of greed and many current Republican politicians who have deliberately turned American politics into an all our war of disinformation, conflict, and manipulation.

We need to political right to return to the civility of politics in which politicians acted in the best interests of our country an people But we also need to acknowledge the unearned privilege which has remained and and increased, and act to make our country truly one of equal opportunity.

Your capitalization of an entire huge, thrown-together paragraph shows that you were engaged in a rant, not just expressing a grounded opinion.

i use the capitalization on what is my own voice just fot the sake of setting it apart from the previous quoted text. that doesnt make it a rant. i am not " the right ". i had and have bernie sanders stickers on my toyota '94 tercel bumpers, both in 2016 and 2020, here in rural north carolina. try that some time. i have the car key scratches on my car doors to prove it! be careful of the assumptions you make about who people are............yes, npr is the best audio news sourses we have (i agree with most of what you say). still, they lie and distort like lawyers. objective? they are 100% propaganda delivery systems

Floyd BLM extortion??? Myth-making lies??? Have you got any facts to back up that bullshit? Or is it your own insidious form of racism not yet defined? (More like the same old racism...)

facts to back up? yes i do. its a laborous process to refute with facts. do you want a dialog about it.? where you share the hard work of dialog? i think thats the road to recognizing truth. but i did cite the most recent, the 16 billion demand for entrepreneur developement. do you think thats not true? do you think its sane?............and youd have to stop the knee jerk name calling.

sorry. i am getting on in years. its 16 trillion.

@holdenc98 Yes, 16 trillion is absurd for entrepreneur development. I couldn't find any references to such a proposal.

As for BLM extortion, I found a case from August 20, and an instance where fake extortion letters were sent to discredit BLM. While other incidents came up, the search reported no concerted policy of extortion. It's clear where your head is at, so no need to respond.

[nbc15.com]

[billypenn.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.