Agnostic.com

5 1

Should student athletes be able to get paid ? Why/not ?

Supreme Court says NCAA can't limit some benefits to student athletes

In a unanimous decision, the justices said a lower court's injunction is consistent with established antitrust principles.

[nbcnews.com]

FearlessFly 9 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. Thy devote so much time and energy t their sport that that they deserve significant benefit for their effort.

A sociologist once told me young people are marginal, in the sense of minor or not important.

I had told him of my experience in the military. I had been in the Navy during the Korean War, and was again a civilian when negotiations to end the war started in Paris. The news said the negotiators delayed while they argued over who would sit where at the “peace table”.

I complained to the sociologist that while the negotiators argued, young men on both sides were dying or being maimed. I didn’t like hearing that I had recently been one of those marginal young men.

Young athletes are not the only marginal people. Elected politicians may see their funders as more important than the people who’d elected them.

The whole college athletics thing is absurd to begin with, just another sign we're a nation of children.

They get a college education. That is pay.

. . . hmmm

. . . I don't think these sources say anything about the quality of courses taken by athletes 😛

[politifact.com]

[montana.edu]

[researchgate.net]

Is it work which carries a risk of injury? Then of course they should be paid. Just another ripping off of people trying to live within confines of thievery laws instead of saying no and not playing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.