Agnostic.com

8 32

LINK Colo. school district stops bible distribution due to FFRF - Freedom From Religion Foundation

Expressing due appreciation for the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Colorado school district has ended a church’s unencumbered access to a local school.

A concerned Eagle County Schools community member had informed FFRF that Redeemer Eagle Valley, a Christian church that rents facilities from Brush Creek Elementary School, was advertising and distributing bibles to Brush Creek Elementary School students. The church had a display up during school-sponsored summer school that included a Latin cross and which promoted bibles to students along with a sign reading “FREE BIBLES !!!”

It is well settled that public schools may not advance, prefer or promote religion, FFRF reminded the school district.

“Brush Creek Elementary School may not allow religious displays on school grounds,” FFRF Staff Attorney Chris Line wrote to Eagle County Schools Superintendent Philip Qualman. “Courts have continually held that school districts may not display religious messages or iconography in public schools.” Nor may bibles be distributed to public school students.

When a school displays an advertisement for a church on its property, it has unconstitutionally entangled itself with a religious message — here a Christian message, FFRF added. This is particularly exclusionary to the 35 percent of Americans who are non-Christian.

To avoid continuing to violate the Establishment Clause, Brush Creek Elementary School must immediately remove the Redeemer Eagle Valley’s display and ensure that it is no longer distributing bibles to students or putting up displays during the school day, FFRF urged.

The school district responded to FFRF in a respectful manner.

“I’m grateful to know that organizations like FFRF exist, and can advocate on behalf of those who feel the separation of church and state is at risk,” the superintendent emailed back, after detailing the steps that Brush Creek Elementary has taken to make certain that the constitutional violations won’t recur.

“School districts don’t reply this graciously very often,” says FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor. “It’s gratifying that the school district has responded with such alacrity to uphold constitutional principles protecting student rights of conscience.”

HippieChick58 9 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It almost sounds like the school district was glad to have a reason from someone other than themselves to eliminate the Bible gifting.

If they had done it themselves initially, it might have created a huge firestorm and become both an election issue and created demands to fire teachers and principals.

Well done Freedom From Religion Foundation.

I remember this in elementary school.
They actually handed them out during a class period. Which was far worse than having a table with a sign.
The Gideon's I think it was.

I support the work of Annie Laurie Gaylor and her husband, Dan Barker, and appreciate everything the FFRF does to plug breaches in what should be an impenetrable wall of separation between church and state!

Great move

bobwjr Level 10 July 6, 2021

If I were a parent, I would have burned it and sent back the ashes with a note that said I meant no threat to them and that they should know not to retaliate toward my kids - and cc a copy to my lawyer.

FFRF does this a lot. Every newsletter has several pages of victories like this. This is the most active and important organization to protect our rights and maintain the separation of church & state.

I agree

@Jorgg98 FFRF is the largest in the country with some 35,000 members. More people need to join. There is a very informative newsletter each month and an annual, fun, convention. The next one is in mid-November in Boston [ffrf.org] I am an After Life Member.

And this is the way problems should be discussed. It is an incredible rare thing to hear civility between people on different sides of the aisle.
Is anyone else old enough to remember the time this was common??

Glad the FFRF stepped in and did something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.