Agnostic.com

19 10

Humor

Do non-religious people have a better sense of humor than religious?

Unity 7 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi there. I know many Christians who can take jokes about Jesus pretty well without being offended slightest.

Ryo1 Level 8 July 17, 2021

I'm agnostic about this question but I believe it is a joke.

Seems to be subjective at best…

Indeed

Humor varies from person to person.

No

lerlo Level 8 July 16, 2021

Right wingers seem to prefer racist, homophobic and misogynistic jokes.

Liberals don't seem to find them funny at all.

Atheists might find jokes funny that religious would find blasphemous.

In a fundamentalist theocracy a blasphemous joke could get you killed.
(And also probably not advisable in some areas of Ireland.)

In most countries a joke about the government would be acceptable.
In a totalitarian country that would get you killed. Or at least in prison at hard labor.

Not having a sense of humour may actually be helpful to the religious, since it prevents them from seeing just how silly it all is.

More like denial or acceptance of the preposterous.

Is there any research on the subject? Does it matter if either has a better sense of humor?

I glanced. There are some studies. Most seem to suggest like others have pointed out, there are simply differences that religion or culture or social class, etc may influence. Each individual laughs at different things.

Sure if you believe that they are actually sane!!!

I don't think so.
I think everyone is different and find different things funny.
Although, it would seem that perhaps Atheists aren't as easily offended.

I agree with you regarding sense of humor, however based on what I see from people on this site complaining, about it does seem Atheists are easily offended.

@Alienbeing Some, not all.

@KKGator Yes, some, not all.

But wouldn't being able to find the humor in more topics/subjects mean you have a higher likelihood of having a better sense of humor?

Perhaps.

I have not really noticed any difference in humor between the two groups.

I think so. However, I do think the non-religious and religious have very different ideas about what is funny.

No. You see a frail elderly atheist fall under a bus and get crushed. And just watch the Christians laugh their socks off.

No I don’t think so. I have known some very funny religious people and some very uptight atheists without an ounce of humor.

I'd say yes , especially where religion is concerned

bobwjr Level 10 July 16, 2021

I would say so, but then I laugh at things other people just do not think is funny.

I would say for the most part, yes. The non religious aren’t thin skinned like the believers are, who cannot tolerate those different from them.

There are super thin-skinned conservative atheists... Just look at how they block ANYONE who challenges their nonsense even once.

In the least, as good as. Having a good sense of humour has nothing to do with being religious or not.

Judging from the Christian comedians I've seen ... yeah.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.