Agnostic.com

6 1

Who knows what white privilege is? Is it bad? Is it the cause of white guilt?
I'm a white guy and I think white guilt is ridiculous and yet I know for a fact I have white privilege. It is nothing to feel guilty about, I did not ask to be white, I did not personally own any slaves, my family came to this country in the late 1700's and came to the north so I'm pretty sure there were no American slave owners on my tree.
White privilege is real, it is part of American culture and American heritage but all white privilege is, is the fact that there are distinct and unarguably disadvantages to not being white in America.
White privilege does not mean you have it better than anyone who isn't white, it just means that all things being equal life is alway easier when you are white.
Politics, entertainment, sports, movies, singers - you name it, it is easier being white. Getting any job, it's easier being white. Getting a loan it is easier being white. Getting an education it is easier being white.
Should I feel guilty for being white? No
Should I give away all my money to non-whites? No
Do I feel bad that non-whites have a harder time? Yes
Is America a racist nation? Well, there is not a nation on earth that is not racist and there is not a person who is not racist. yes, black people are racist, brown people are racist, Asian, Mexican, African, European - you name the nationality or the color and you can say they are racist because human beings are inherently racist, But in America, and in most countries, it pays to be white, the lighter your skin the more the perceived benefit, even if you are not caucasian white. It is a sad fact that skin color colors peoples opinions even though there is no such thing as a WHITE person or BLACK person - we are all human beings, we are all the same species, but the fact remains, it's easier to be white just like it is easier to be a man.
So if you don't think there is white privilege, just ask a woman if there is male privilege since that has nothing to do with "race" and apply your findings to color and you will see the same results.
The worst part is that the RIGHT wing media wants people to deny there is any white privilege and the LEFT wing media wants people to feel shame for it and I just want to say YES it is real and NO there is nothing to be ashamed of but you should be aware of it and realize that the injustice that so many are so angry about is justified and how would you react to hundreds of years of steady oppression, much of which is now so subtle that it is practically invisible unless you are experiencing it directly.
But what the hell do I know, I'm just a CIS white man in America who is 6' tall and over 50 which puts my stats as the group with ALL the privilege, and yet I am not rich or powerful, but know I have a better chance of being so than anyone else in America.

ThomasLevi 6 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think us (white people) are supposed to feel guilty. It's hard to feel guilty about something that you aren't responsible for. It's really more about acknowledging racial inequalities and trying to support political and social ideas that can help balance/reverse the damage caused by centuries of discrimination and racism. It's about being honest about the truth of our history rather than trying to hide it. And this applies not just to racism and mistreatment of blacks in the U.S. but also to Native Americans, Asians, and LGBTQ people.

I’m a white guy and there is a degree of white privilege but I don’t feel any guilt. I didn’t have anything to with the society I was born into, it’s just the way it is.

I did not ask to be white in the same way that the rest of the people in the world did not ask to be whatever color designation they are classified in. White is a privilege as long as the main numbers of people in power remain white. I do not personally care about that in any way, nor am I worried about any change that is coming. I can marry any woman that will have me without race being an issue. My money is mine and your money is yours. I have no white guilt or shame. As for the white supremacists I simply wish they would go away.

"White privilege does not mean you have it better than anyone who isn't white, it just means that all things being equal life is alway easier when you are white."

I stopped after this. How do you not see that sentence is self-contradictory?

Exactly what I saw. After that paragraph the auth goes on to refute it in every way. I have felt guilt about historical white atrocities but one should feel guilt for such things. I don't feel responsibility except to put a stop to such atrocities and try to not commit more.

Being a woman, albeit a white one, and having worked in construction/manufacturing for most of my life, sometimes the Only woman in the entire place, or one of the many female drones doing the actual work in other places, I definitely have seen it....even before I knew what is was, it had no name back then. From the cops who told bloody me to "try harder to get along with him" to the loan officer who wouldn't consider my paycheck (hubby was a sot drunk!) "Because you're going to get pregnant" to the chef who demanded, on my second day, that I sit on his lap (my option(s): quit, period) all when I was still in my 20's, to being Totally invisible in the sub-building industry, and then becoming a token Supervisor....still totally invisible! And after a serious stroke, being told by the Disability Examiner that I most certainly could get a job, as a circus geek.....and we're only up to age 39 here......
And looking around, and hearing women of color talk about Their lives, I am completely aware that i had a Day At The Beach thruout!!!!!!

White privilege is unearned privilege which enables white people to feel superior to, exploit, and dominate people of color and people of different cultures. .It is unjust and hurts both those who use it and those who are discriminated against.. I grew up as a white man in a culture of white privilege in the American south. I do not use or practice white privilege, so I do not feel guilty. I am, however, ashamed of that culture and history. . I seek to change that culture because it is immoral and it hurts our country.

I do not expect that who practice an seek white privilege to feel guilt. They ignore the truth and rationalize their behavior. They, therefore, are incapable of facing the truth about their inherent racism so long as they ignore the truth.

White privilege is more a lack of disadvantage , people don't practice it, it's just there woven into the fabric of society. Most people don't realize they have it because they have been taught to look at anyone who has more than them as having more privilege than them so they look at a rich black man and declare they have no privilege, never considering that pretty much every person in any position of authority in their life has been white while even the richest black person can not say the same - that is what white privilege is. Education is ultimately the only thing that can change things and it is still much harder to get higher education if you are black

@ThomasLevi That is why we talk about our privilege and need to acknowledge it. You are merely finding justifications or denials for any responsibility as a result of the fact.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.