Agnostic.com

19 0

Immortality

If you could live forever, as you are right now, without any progression of age, immune from illness/disease of any kind, and no outside influencen could harm you, would you?
Discuss.

AssassinofWords 5 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I would. My curiosity of what might happen in the future outweighs any fears I have of it

Absolutely not. If you’d asked me 3 years ago, the answer may have been different.

Yes

Forever might be enough time to get it right.

no chance. it would be a curse in the end.

I want to say you're awesome for referencing this movie because this is one of my favorites and one of my favorite books of all time.

yes it is a really good film thank you

yes and no.
I would love to live long enough to learn, know and understand everything,
but then that is not how life works,
only that which dies can make life

To quote from The Highlander Theme Song: Who Wants to Live Forever? I think it depends on what kind of life one has had whether they want to continue with it. I'm also reminded of several sci-fi stories (Twilight Zone to be exact) where the character DID live forever, and problems ensued.

No, I won’t deny myself the human expietence for A Dorian Gray nightmare.

You say immune - some of us here have been ill and some are disabled. What happens to them? Some have degerative diseases? Wishful thinking but unrealistic.

Let's assume whatever gives you this immortality also removes your illnesses and ailments as well.

I will ask the question what am I living for what is my purpose to be in mortal

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

That's for you to decide, I imagine. You could fight in wars and save lives, you could be a humanitarian and bring comfort to the ill, you could travel the stars safely and see what the universe has to offer...or you could be an unstoppable killing machine, a dictator who ruled unchecked for eternity.
It all depends on you.

Absolutely I would choose to live forever, and I suspect 99% of all other people would, too, as long as "as you are right now" is a healthy state. What you're describing is another variety of the Fountain of Youth mythos, and it's a human trait to fantasize about it. There are some who say it would grow dull/boring, and that's probably true, but it's also frankly immaterial.

Even if you had to watch everyone you loved die? ?

[sens.org]

We're already well on our way towards immortality. I can't wait

The immortality is questionable...what I want is the freedom from illness, joint pain, etc!

I've seen too many movies where the immortal is eternally saddened by all those progressing around him/her without changing. Hard to build relationships this way. I'd say no. Give me powers to make everyone I WANTED immortal too? perhaps!

This is the promise of religion. To live forever in paradise. So many put their faith in this unfulfilled promise.

True but their eternal life comes after death whereas in this scenario you just stop aging and can't die, no matter what.

I would but it might get a bit drull after a few centuries. But what happens to me when the rest of humanity is wiped out by mutant A.i.

Or perhaps when the world ultimately ends... eventually Earth would become uninhabitable in a few million years.

No, thank you.
I have absolutely no desire to be "immortal", regardless of what might be promised.
There are already too many occupants of this rock as it is.
I'm grateful that life is finite.

Nope, fof what purpose ?

Some fear what death brings and might take the offer, ya never know.

@AssassinofWords If they fear what might come is anything but nothing then they have not yet shaken off the shakles of religion !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61387
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.