Agnostic.com

23 4

If Agnosticism is one of a group of things that we hope will eventually rid us of religion, then perhaps we should compile a select list of clearly stated things that would be part of our collective "Methodology". Clearly this list for Agnostics would overlap with groups like "Pure" atheists" , Humanists and skeptics etc.

The religious group of methodists did this some years ago now. This is one compact summary of their aims:-

Methodist teaching is sometimes summed up in four particular ideas known as the 4 alls.
All need to be saved - the doctrine of original sin.
All can be saved - Universal Salvation.
All can know they are saved - Assurance.
All can be saved completely - Christian perfection.

What [briefly] would be part of your methodology. Would you recommend or resurrect from the above list? What methods used by unbelievers now would you recommend are left OFF the list?. Sometimes a single word could be retained on our list??? e,g perfection.

Please keep it simple . No essays please.

Mcflewster 8 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know nobody cares. But, why do we have to rid the world of religion? Why can't everybody be free to choose their own beliefs? Just promotes more division. As an agnostic, I don't want to be ridiculed for not believing, and I'm not ridiculing anybody for believing.

What you believe influences how you act and behave, which have consequences.

@Butch79 I do not want to throw away any PART of religion which is beneficial to man or womankind

@Mcflewster Right on. If believing myths, helps someone be a better person or deal with their crappy life. More power to them.

@Mcflewster, @jlynn37 While I agree with ur statement, at face value. That's also stereotyping ppl, and all religious freaks are as much the same as all atheist and agnostics are the same. And none of those r true. Judge ppl as a whole, not off any 1 belief or trait.

@jlynn37 I believe that in the future the majority of learning will be done by following example.

@Mcflewster That's what 90% of learning is. U don't know, so u follow the example. But I have the ability of critical thinking, too.

@Butch79 No I do not believe that believing in myths makes anyone a better person.

@Mcflewster I agree, directly. Myths don't do anything for u. But, power of the mind does. And if someone believes ""Jesus Christ or whatever they believe" gives them power over their addiction. I think that's bullshit but if it helps them believe in themself, how can u argue that as a bad thing.

@Mcflewster certainly not believing them literally anyway, ya

“ But, why do we have to rid the world of religion? Why can't everybody be free to choose their own beliefs?”

bc (as Rick has pointed out) fascism is always the default? We call them “beliefs” but they are treated more like Absolute Truths by the “believer,” only you are defining “beliefs” as “subject to change,” right? The “correct” way, iow

Agnosticism is not about ending religion. Agnostics have no knowledge a gods exist.

I "KNOW" no more than you do. I just enjoy finding out.

I know you are speaking the truth, but truth is something you can build upon to reach higher.

well, does anyone have that knowledge? So imo you will just go in circles with that. It is a bad, even evil (bc obscuring) definition of “agnostic” imo

I don't think we need to preach or have a methodology, we should leave that to the religious. If more and more people are seen to lead good, happy, secular lives, supportive of their communities, then there will be no reason for anyone to want religion. In other words, set a good example and let the religious do the rest for themselves.

Religion anyway, is on a cycle of decline. As the moderates leave or find less time for it, then that leaves it increasingly in the hands of the extremists and zealots. Who are bound to misbehave, upsetting more of the moderates and driving them to lose interest, which in turn leaves it even more in the hands of the immoderate, alienating even more of the reasonable people. And so on.

A good interesting website, or TV program, a community project or sports game, anything which tempts the moderate to spend less time in church, does more for the secular cause than any amount of preaching arguing or book writing ever could. If you want a Methodology, let It be I will be a good and moderate, person worth spending time with..

@Fernapple Methodolgy is just an example of getting organised. There are many others. Preaching is telling people what they should do. I do not aim to preach but perhaps you think there is some compulsion in what I have suggested?? You have changed your Avitar??

@Mcflewster “ Preaching is telling people what they should do”
right? From a position of assumed “knowledge,” eh

@bbyrd009 Quite. Though you could say, that knowing, I don't know, is a kind of assumed knowledge, so that there is no real way of escaping from some assumption of knowledge, other than perhaps saying. "I don't know if I don't know or not." Or in other words. "I am not sure if I am agnostic." Which seems a bit extreme, best stick to just, lets not preach, perhaps.

@Mcflewster Yes but you could preach methodology, which may not be as bad as preaching conclusions, but is still preaching. But then there is no hard line, between explaining or teaching, when they are openly wanted and requested, and preaching when it is being impossed and perhaps not wanted, quite the opposite most expressions of thought probably fall into a huge grey area between.

Yes I have changed my icon. I am about to retire from work so no longer need to be discreet, so this is the real adult me. And I am saying hello to everyone with my real name of Richard, so hello.

You will never rid the earth of religion. It’s not possible. There will always be those who are gullible, naive or who are looking to “Belong somewhere with strength in numbers”.

It is encouraging though that the younger generation z is rejecting it outright and hope it continues.

Surely everything, until you have tried it, is POSSIBLE. How LIKELY it is will always be another matter altogether. I can understand why so many people THINK it is impossible, but the thought of impossibility slows everything to a halt. Finding out if it is possible increases the chances of it coming true. You have been there then?

@Mcflewster Seriously? So do you think COVID-19 is just going to disappear?

Again, as long as there are the gullible and naive, there will always be some form of belief, if it isn’t religion itself maybe they will worship an alligator, maybe a great white shark. And to some they may be considered “Gods”. So, thinking it is going to just somehow “wander away” or somehow “disappear” is mere wishful thinking. But it is on the decline, no question about that.

@CuddyCruiser How about belief in One'self ? Is that not worthy? Self belief is destroyed by religion in favour of believing and worshipping myths .

@Mcflewster yes, a nascent “belief” in the self which should be nurtured into healthy self-esteem is instead hijacked by suggesting that one might become an immortal lol.
(What did you go out into the wilderness to see?)

Agnosticism doesn't have an agenda.

ha i was gonna say that we often seek to change things rather than just change

True because no one is actually driving it. I am making suggestion to be discussed and the conclusions can only be judged by any degree of consensus. I must say that the only consensus so far that I detect is that it is impossible to get rid of religion, which is sad but I cannot change it alone.

Yes , thank you . I couldn't agree more.

We will never be rid of religion because most folks are plum stupid.

One does not get a better school, police force or army by calling all its members stupid and that will apply to religions because all of its members are humans and make mistakes like the rest of us including me.

@Mcflewster I’m sorry, anyone that believes the bullshit in the Bible is stupid, carry on.....

Why would I want a "methodology"?????? Sounds like another trumped-up way to insist others do what i/you think they should!

There is no insistence in a suggestion especially if the receiver has never considered it before . My posts are always suggestions to stimulate thoughts and eventually discussion.

I’m confident nothing short of forced genetic manipulation will rid H.sapiens of religion, and we had better hope nothing does. Our survival is as dependent on it as oxygen to breathe.

I can agree with the four alls as presented, but would add a fifth that says Not all will be saved, because very few believers or non-believers have any idea what salvation is, and science is still mostly afraid of looking at it.
Hint: it has nothing to do with any presumed life after death of the body.

skado Level 9 Aug 16, 2021

“ I’m confident nothing short of forced genetic manipulation will rid H.sapiens of religion, and we had better hope nothing does. Our survival is as dependent on it as oxygen to breathe.”
i def would not be stripping the egomaniac/believer of their religion, be it christianity or (moral) atheism, if that is mainly what keeps them civil, ya. Fwiw this is the gist of the give us a king! passage, 1Sam8 i think? Ppl wanted religion, iow, a king to fight our battles

“ I can agree with the four alls as presented, but would add a fifth that says Not all will be saved, because very few believers or non-believers have any idea what salvation is, and science is still mostly afraid of looking at it.
Hint: it has nothing to do with any presumed life after death of the body”

the law of sin and death was a literal thing then…i had supposed it had something to do with that

@bbyrd009
maybe so

a-gnostics compiling a select list of clearly stated things, hmm…

Not 'things' but suggestions for action.

@Mcflewster i get you…i think we are just operating under different definitions of “agnostic” prolly; to me, action requires gnosis?

Agnosticism is an answer to a question. If you add anything more then it’s not agnosticism.

You seem to know the future and it will not change. You are not alone but should we not try to make the future?

@Mcflewster Why do you say I know the future? I do not.

I never heard so much discussion of religion as I do from this site and ppl who claim not to believe

Part of why I rarely visit any more…

I don't understand the question. If atheism is to religion like "off" is a television channel, then wouldn't we just be going outside to play?

Nothing true can be false.

Something is chasing its own tail here, getting us nowhere.

@BitFlipper Agnosticism mean not knowing, and possibly not being able to know. The prospect of knowing infers a context of seeking knowledge, and, presumably true knowledge. Thus, the implied agenda of agnosticism is a search for truth - true knowledge. The methodology is a recognition that knowledge can be false, and the criteria by which one can discern false knowledge. Once false knowledge is identified, it can be rejected. Distilling the facts and logic to prove lies are false enables an ever swifter rejection of said lies. Agnosticism provides the contextual attitude of withholding judgment until proof is presented, but when it IS presented, to reject false religions.

How silly.

I see the word " dogma" I turn away.
I see a "creed(s)" suggested, ditto.
Do you think personal beliefs of any kind need guidance, or worse, to be dictated & conformed to?

My effort below is attempting to praise the capabilities of MAN/WOMANKIND. Not a god. Religion tries to capture everyone with a belief in an illusion. Why should we not celebrate how alike we are and how we do not need saving.

@Mcflewster I never said anything like that, just pointing out that setting up "rules/creeds/ sggestions" about beliefs is doing exactly what all religions (and cults!) do

There must be some alternative ' Alls " which apply to non believers . Not necessarily the ones below.

All need to be kept away from dogma from birth.
All are capable, with a little help, of understanding, reason and solving any problem.
All just need to realize their innate abilities.
All need to realize the value of perfection but always striving for the perfection of understanding why it is not possible at the moment- "Liberal perfection"

I would say that all people need to be Agnostics. It is a good strategic position with a though to taking other people with you

Pure atheism? No such thing.

The 4 alls are all unadulterated bullshit.

A more appropriate name for Methodism is Irrationalism.

Religion will be abandoned by humanity only when the entirety of humanity sees it as being useless.

I'll need to get back to you on this...

A - Atheism imposed by decree
B - Behavioural modification begins
C - Confiscation of religious assets
D - Discouragement of recidivism
E - Education obligatory

Consequential herd-culling inadvertently halts global warming and eradicates poverty in surviving population.

Nice song!
Mixed feelings about the consequences of the actions you spell out.
A Who would post the decree? That would make them a target for assasination by mad evangelists and war would ensue.
B Massive number of behavioural scientists required.
C And converted into cash for more generalised benefits
D How?
E Agreed, but as always it would be resisted by many

What about F through M and Q to Z ?

Atheism and agnosticism will not rid the world of anything. As to that question of being "saved" I want to know what we are being saved from.

The question of "Fallen women" being saved begs another . Will you save one for me?

@Mcflewster Yes, but would you be willing to share her with me at the same time as you are "using" her?

saved, from what?

Hell. It’s a metaphor.

@skado think so, huh? strickly the cover story, i think…”hell” is norse/angle, hebrews never had that. Gehenna is on earth!

@bbyrd009
It’s all on earth.

@skado well, except for where we imagine “hell” to be eh

@bbyrd009
Who’s this “we”? 😁

@skado lol ya

@skado so then the q remains, “saved from what?”

@bbyrd009
psychological suffering

@skado rings true, ya. maybe!

free and unlimited beddage of women at 16 to 1

Muslims want 43 to one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.