Agnostic.com

10 18

Today's hike: Loose aggressive dogs and rain in the mountains.

Sweet rain! After our brutal drought and heatwave, it rained in the mountains last night. Ash and dust were washed off leaves. Plants looked happy. High winds blew away morning clouds, giving us blue skies.

The rocky trail crosses an avalanche chute: dangerous in winter. As we got higher, there were huge dropoffs on one side. This used to scare me. I'm careful not to trip.

Karen and I hiked eight miles with over a thousand feet of elevation gain. Since it's the weekend, we had to contend with motorcycles and out of control dogs.

U.S. Forest Service regulation on dogs: "Dogs must be on a leash or under firm voice control." This is too weak. Vicious, large dogs ran toward us with the owners far behind.

To repel aggressive dogs, I hold hiking poles vertically in front of me with the points at foot level. Briskly whisk the poles back-and-forth, crossing in front of me. Dogs back off. Perfect.

"Stop waving your poles!" a woman yelled. "You'll poke my dog's eyes out!"

"That's the point!" I replied cheerfully without stopping. "Grab your dog's collar! Control your dog!" Subtext: "You selfish blithering idiot."

Photos:

1. Love rocky cliffs.

2. Tweedy's Lewisia plants turn dark red in the Fall.

3. It's a relief to see wooded hillsides that are not burned.

4. Spectacular rock buttresses.

5. Big dropoff on one side of the trail. That's the trail at the bottom of the photo.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love the comment about the dogs. I was walking on a forest trail near where I live and a woman approached with two collie type dogs running free, One of then ran behind me and nipped me on the back of my leg.
I told her and her reply was "Oh they are Romanian rescue dogs". I had to smile at that.

@Moravian

"She's a rescue dog," is a lousy excuse.

"Down, dammit!" I yelled when a dog jumped up on me, digging long, bloody scratches in my bare shins. So much for wearing a short dress.

"She's just saying 'Hi'," the man said lamely.

I have broken up with men because of their out-of-control dogs.

@LiterateHiker A case of "love me love my dog"? I had a neighbour who's dog had a habit of jumping up on anyone it met. I read somewhere that the cure for this was to put your knee on the dog's chest and push it over backwards. It would apparently give the dog a fright without harming it. Next time the dog jumped up on me I did this thereafter whenever the dog saw me it would run. That was a bit embarrassing.

@Moravian

As a petite woman (5' 5" tall, 109 lbs.), I hesitate to do that. Don't want to enrage a dog.

My wife and I have always had Bouviers in our family and they were well trained, even the show dogs because a Bouvier de Flandres can break an adults arm with their powerful jaws. i would never consider leaving a loaded fire arm around carelessly and I would never want an untrained dog under my roof either. In Canada you must take an intensive course and go through a police background check before you can own a firearm but any idiot can buy a large dog that can maim or kill. Glad you came out of this scrape all right.

Nice photos, especially the one top left here.
If you look at it, in the middle, just off centre on the right there's a rock outcrop with what looks like a bird or animal holding on to the rock face either scared of falling or telling everyone " Touch me and I'll jump."

Nice pics and reporting as usual. That area could use better dog control for sure.

Any dogs my family has is well trained. We had to sleep in a building we rented downtown once right next to the police station because of flood. Cops had a back door, we did not. I took the dogs (golden and black lab) to the back at midnight for a last potty run. We weren't out there a minute before I heard the police station back door open, at the same time I hear the dogs take off in a run. They were going hoping to be petted but the cops didn't know that. I instinctively yelled, "drop!" while putting my own hands up. They did. Flashlight swept the back lot and found all three of us. The officer was amazed. Talked with him a few minutes and asked him if I could release them because the only danger he was in was of drowning from being licked to death. They ran in and sat right in front of him waiting when he said yes. I won't tolerate any dog that won't listen to me but I tend to follow the way the Dog Whisperer does it. There is never a need to strike an animal. Those owners you mentioned were plumb idiots.

@Larimar

Bravo! Growing up, we had two Labrador retrievers. Lady won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice.

Our dogs were extremely well-behaved.

I can't stand constantly barking, jumping up, out of control dogs.

Even friendly dogs who are eager to be petted or played with can be deadly dangerous. I was 100 yards from my house coming home on my bike when un unleashed neighbors friendly dog wanted to play. In those situations I always just ride away quickly and they give up. This time the dog persisted and became entangled in my front wheel causing me to crash. MInd you I was hardly moving. I was knocked unconscious, had a concussion, broke my pelvis in 3 places and damaged nerves in my left shoulder girdle resulting in permanent nerve damage leaving me with 24/7 pins and needles, numbness, weakness and impaired fine motor control of my left hand. I had to stop playing the violin and every day have difficulty with buttons, cutting my own food and the like. My gait was altered by the broken pelvis such that I develop a callous under my right food that causes me pain upon walking and hiking. My helmit was broken and might have been killed by the impact. The point is that friendly dogs who just want to lick your face and be petted can cause death and permanent injuries. I am a chiropractor and can no longer perform normal adjustments and and my family will not tolerate a return to my beloved cycling. Keep your bleedin dog on a leash.!

@Healthydoc70

I am so sorry that happened to you. Hugs, Kathleen

Nice scenery, too bad the dogs owners let them run free. I went hiking in the Olympics yesterday and passed a number of friendly dogs on the trail.

A well behaved dog off leash under voice command is not a problem

It is rare that a dog is that well trained and these obviously were not.

I also cringe when I see parents allowing a 75lb child to walk a 100lb dog.

A full grown adult is going to have to use full strength if a poorly trained 30lb dog decides to dart for a squirrel or whatever..

This just came from memory. Where I work there used to be a cat. This cat was apparently afraid of nothing and could be quite vicious to all who would treat it poorly. Those that knew it were treated well and would be allowed to pet it. One day a car came into the parking lot and within it was a Pitbull. It owners were told to secure the dog, but the owners decided to let it attack the cat. My boss, ran over to the dog, grabbed it and threw it back into the car. He then told the owners, "I am not worried about the cat, I am worried the cat will tear your dog apart, it almost did, care for your dog." The car drove off with the dog in pain, bleeding from the head. The cat was taking a bath on the loading dock totally happy. I hope this makes sense.

A cat accustomed to dogs will almost always be the dominate animal.
My previous cat, a b&w adored dogs and they loved her back. She hated other cats though.

Beautiful pictures.

Beautiful scenery too bad the locals are not so beautiful. My late partner only had 2 fears - slippery roads and dogs off lease. When we went hiking and was confronted by a dog off leash she would always give the owner a tongue lashing. When we were waiting at the ferry terminal we would often walk the boardwalk. It was sometimes scary for me when she got into others for the lack of dog manners (no one ever went after her). Problem there is never any control, just signs. She would even congratulate the owners that had obeyed the rules. We got into some interesting conversations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.