Agnostic.com

22 7

At what time in your recent past have you felt most alive?

It's been a while for me. I remember when I was more fluid with my finances and just went off to distant countries and places around the states. Enjoying the moments as they came.

My original question had most passionate and alive.

When was that time for you?

Akfishlady 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was exploring Monterey, California shoreline at low tide, scrambling over rocks. The physicality required and pure openness to discovery made me forget everything else for awhile.

@Akfishlady I was just there for a vacation; beautiful area!

The same. Old age are not the golden years I can attest to.

Finding new friends

jeffy Level 7 Apr 20, 2018

Beautiful question, and a privellage to be able to read these lovely stories. My own is when I was reading The BFG to my kids. One night in particular the first chapter was full of tension and fear, and they were hangin' on every word and leaning forward in their beds. And the next chapter was full of laughter, they were rollin' around, tears streamin' down their cheeks. It's my most precious memory.

I volunteered as a maths tutor for underpriviledged people, it was a great experience and I plan to go into teaching in such an environment when I finish my degree. Theres no better feeling than helping someone bridge their knowledge gap and improve their lives by sharing your passion with them.

Last night at Karaoke! It was one of those magic nights!

Not in recent times, have some injuries at present really slowing me down. Last year I found some new waterfalls, that was good.

I'm pretty confident I'm alive at the point of writing this, else I could not be doing so.

@Akfishlady Brainzzzz

Maybe now. Even though most of the time I feel like I'm in the throws of confusion. But in the last two years or so, for the first time in probably since ever I'm not living in my head - or let's put it this way, if I go there it really messes me up. So, now I'm feeling so many intense feelings that I used to suppress.

When I was physically active either mountain climbing or going on a 12 mile canoe trip on the Saco River in Maine - 6 years ago.

Last weekend, saw ministry play with a lady I'm seeing, drank and smoked too much, stayed in a cheap hotel, next day greasy breakfast. It truly is the simple things

soa Level 4 Apr 20, 2018

@Akfishlady yep this there 2nd final tour, one of my all time favorite bands, had to go

I think really from being a child to the first part of living with someone. now is ok because I am alone and can do what I like with reason. why is it only people over 50 say life begins at 50?

Visting the Northwest area (Washington state) of the United States. Beautiful, glorius nature!

Within the last few days.

Just this morning.

This is a great question - when in recent times have I felt most alive? I wish that I was as eloquent and as profound in my response as the majority of members have been with theirs - but I'm not gonna be. The last time I felt truly alive was the summer of 2016. I have 40% heart blockage, I'm overweight and so I decided that I was going to start walking. I took it easy until I worked my way up past the High School which is over a mile away. Most nights of brisk walking I simply wanted to get back home. But on this night I had taken a couple of shots of gin before starting my walk. I had with me a little music device that held over 5 gigs of songs and my earphones. After completing my typical route - I didn't want to stop - I walked through the new development behind mine - I walked to the end of my own development and kept trying to find places to walk to. The music was awesome - Joe Cocker, Elvis Presley, Bon Jovi, Meatloaf and so on. The humidity was low - the temperature just right - the sky was crystal clear and I was the only one walking around. I felt on that night as I had 30-years before when I was hitchhiking around the country with nothing more than my backpack entering a new town that was just coming awake. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and the smell of freshly made donuts was overwhelming - particularly to a hungry hitchhiker with no money. Watching a town wake up is a profound experience and I had not had that kind of experience (save for one which I won't get into because then this will become a book) until the summer of 2016.

Wandering around medellin columbia in feb.

Half past eight last night.

Good Sex always comes to mind!

I feel more like I do now than I ever did before...

blzjz Level 7 Apr 26, 2018

Last weekend, saw ministry play with a lady I'm seeing, drank and smoked too much, stayed in a cheap hotel, next day greasy breakfast. It truly is the simple things

soa Level 4 Apr 20, 2018

Well that question brought me up short.

I've been pretty numb since my son died a couple of years ago ... a combination of that and other accumulated losses and frustrations. I would say my deconversion made the sun shine and the birds sing except that it coincided with the death of my mother and brother, and ultimately, came to closure with the death of my prior wife. What it actually accomplished was to keep me sane during an insane time. I just didn't want to make excuses for the supposed value propositions of religious faith anymore.

Mostly I would have to say my life has been this weird admixture of triumph and tragedy and I never really have known whether to laugh or cry. I still don't, and I have my doubts that will ever be resolved.

My wife is doing her own version of this dance (also widowed, and various extended faily traumas) and I suppose our shared understanding of this headspace is a big reason we're together. At this point in our lives I think we just want to let go of our expectations and demands of others, avoid asshats and let things be as they are.

I watch these movie sequences where some character or other breaks through to some liberated space and is twirling through the Elyssian Fields and lives happily ever after, or for a reasonable time until some heroic/tragic end. But I'm not sure life actually plays out that way for most of us. I have, shall we say, very modest expectations of it anymore. I am sorry to say I can't give you a time in the recent past, or the past generally when I felt more or less alive than I do right now. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature.

@Akfishlady Keeping up hope is an interesting enterprise. I found for example that after my deconversion I had a lot more hope for humanity, as a whole, in the long run; I hadn't fully realized just how "down" I had become about people, with all the religious negativity about utter depravity polluting my thinking. But then the Trumpocalypse came along and now I'm not so sure anymore. However, from a purely selfish perspective, I'm a heterosexual white citizen with no debt and good income and adequate health so I'll probably survive without too many ill effects in the years left to me. If I don't think about my children and grandchildren too much I can disassociate myself from it. That is hope of a sort. For some given value of hope.

A lot of stuff is like that; awareness is a double-edged sword. I understand that I have interesting things to look forward to and I also understand that a well placed accident or stroke or cancer could take it all away. Thankfully I'm not a worrier, but I still know better than most that everything is impermanent and health and financial well being and even love are a thin veneer that's easily peeled away by random events. If I did not understand it's all bullshit I would miss the certainties and manufactured destinies of my former faith. I can see why people indulge such things. On the other hand ... I also understand that I won the lottery just to be here and drew a pretty good card from the deck of life to get me started. So there's that.

And as you say, there are "sweet pick-me-ups". My wife told me this week that she wants to precede me in death because she'd be devastated without me; she senses I'm tougher that away. While selfishly I'd like to precede someone in death for a change and not have to deal with that ... that was sweet and I'd take any bullet for her. When my son died my stepson (not at all a demonstrative or expressive person) stepped up to the plate and reminded me that I still had him. That was sweet too. When I wax philosophical on these matters it's not like I'm unaware that lots of people would kill to have just those two things. And there's more where that came from.

I guess what it boils down to is I'm a pretty tired guy and find life as an overall proposition to be underwhelming and absurd ... but it does kick ass now and again. Mostly I just have to get over my need for everything to finally be okay and settled and stable so that I have something to "count on" (or in Buddhist terms, cling to); it just never is or can be. If there's a downside to atheism it's that I no longer have even the intermittent illusion that it can be. If people wonder about the "value" of religion, that's it in a nutshell -- it is the comforting lies that keep people coming back for more.

@Akfishlady That is a very wise course. It is essentially what I'm saying.

The way I usually put it is, one should live within their true scope -- that of a mortal being of no great significance and no real claims to special needs or favors.

Having modest expectations of life that are realistic and appropriate rather than idealistically inflated, gives you the space to find contentment and freedom from striving. Accomplishing one or two little and not very memorable things in a particular day, becomes enough to "fulfill" you. I got an adequate night's rest last night, passed the morning playing a pleasant game of cards with some friends, got in some walking, piddled around online ... and had this convo with you. It is sufficient.

I think that is the problem -- most people can't ever say "it suffices". They feel obligated to do something that will earn them a statue in the town square when they die, and then feel inadequate when that doesn't happen. Heck, a statue would just be something for the pigeons to shit on anyway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.