Agnostic.com

13 17

LINK In the Middle of the Great Resignation, Employers Are Rejecting Millions of Qualified Workers, New Harvard Research Finds

Problematic hiring software and bad job descriptions deserve a big chunk of the blame.

A scroll through business media or even a stroll through your local downtown is enough to reveal just how desperate companies are to hire right now. "Help Wanted" signs adorn nearly every shop window, and the press is full of stories of companies offering extraordinary perks to attract talent.

Given the incredible difficulty of hiring during "the Great Resignation," you'd therefore probably be pretty shocked to hear that many of America's most respected businesses are turning away millions of qualified applicants for no good reason at all. But that's just what recent research from Harvard and Accenture found.

Employers are rejecting millions of qualified applicants.
The report, titled "Hidden Workers: Untapped Talent," digs into why the process of matching job seekers to available openings has been going so slowly. And while the research turns up a number of issues, the lion's share of the blame falls on companies' recruiting practices, particularly due to specific job descriptions and automated hiring software that unnecessarily screens out many qualified candidates.

First, the researchers note that companies often do a less than stellar job of writing job descriptions. Instead of thinking critically about the handful of competencies crucial to perform the role, they often adapt existing descriptions, or throw every "nice to have" item they can think of into their job ads.

These epic, over-prescriptive job descriptions certainly deter some job seekers from even sending in a resume, but the real problem occurs when these bloated lists of requirements are fed into automated hiring software. Thanks to these systems, millions of resumes are tossed because of gaps in employment history, or other "problems" that aren't really problems at all.

Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, lead Harvard researcher Joseph Fuller "cited examples of hospitals scanning resumes of registered nurses for 'computer programming,' when what they need is someone who can enter patient data into a computer. Power companies, he said, scan for a customer-service background when hiring people to repair electric transmission lines. Some retail clerks won't make it past a hiring system if they don't have 'floor-buffing' experience."

In fact, 88 percent of employers the researchers spoke to agreed that qualified candidates are vetted out of the process because they do not match the exact criteria in the job description. This is not a minor problem.

Fixing the issue
Improving the software to do a better job of screening candidates isn't an overnight job--though large employers like Amazon and IBM are apparently working on it, the WSJ reports--but some quicker fixes are available. The most straightforward is to rewrite your job descriptions, including only the most essential skills and qualifications. Does someone really need a college degree to do the job, for instance? Previous studies show that in many, many cases the answer is no.

The report also suggests moving from a "negative" to "affirmative" logic when screening for jobs. Rather than crossing off candidates for a long list of perceived issues, employers should instead aim to include all resumes that meet a shorter list of must-have attributes.

Finally, smaller businesses with a manageable number of positions to fill may want to automate less of the process. Yes, it will take you longer to screen resumes by hand--but if that saves you from struggling to fill the position for weeks or months, maybe your fancy hiring software is a false economy.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a very difficult situation. It was not for nothing that it was said that this virus would destroy the world we had arranged before. Now, even qualified workers cannot find a good job, let alone people who have much less competence. Especially considering that now you need to go through special software to get a job. Even our company uses a website that finds out talents and profitable inclinations for a job seeker in our company. For me personally, this is quite an interesting experience.

Gigo (Garbage In, Garbage Out) has been known about computers for over 50 years. If those engaged in the recruitment process cannot be bothered to get their position descriptions right, then of course they are going to get the wrong people. I have no time for such dimwits.

I have read the job descriptions for temp assignments I have worked and if I was looking to apply for a job, I would have passed. One in particular demanded a college degree, I don't have one and yet was considered exceptional at my work. They need to put humans in charge of screening again.

I applied for a job not long ago at a whim. I have all the qualifications but the soft ware rejected me on grounds that I had put in wrong address, I had recently moved and it did not match my address on my license that I had to supply by photo. Anyway, now I am getting calls from the company to please come in for an interview after someone came upon the error.

To compound the problem a lot of 'job seekers' are refusing to comply with mandates as masks and vaccines. Here, our governor has mandated all state workers and volunteers must get the vaccine. This county has done the same yet people refuse to follow basic rules needed to protect others. The ferry system is crashing and some of the ferry workers want to stage a strike and keep any boat from leaving the terminals. This is unconscionable as many ferry workers understand the importance of the vaccine/masks.

I can see why this is happening. For several years prior to my retirement I held a senior position in my company. It was (and remains) a larger company, employing approx. 2,000 people. We had a Human Resources Dept, and the head of that department was a very good and efficient person. However the Department gradually instituted onerous practices. Among these practices was over estimating what was needed to fill various positions. As an example, at one time we required receptionists to have a college degree. That was overkill and thankfully we wised up.

The fancy hiring software, as well as the moving of the application process to being entirely online, even for jobs that don't involve using computers at all, is also a way to weed out or eliminate any older workers who are not computer literate, don't have internet access, or too expensive to insure for health care, even if they might be quite competent for the actual job being advertised. But the online hiring process gives them a backdoor way to discriminate against poor people (who don't have net access) or older workers without actually doing anything illegal or blatantly discriminating based on age. Of course, they will always have the opportunity to do that once the person shows up in person for an interview and the hiring person can then react to the applicant's being too old with the tried and true excuse that they are "over-qualified"..

And conservatives were blaming the job seekers, when it turns out that employers are at fault for not beign able to fill positions.

Of course, and do you notice how the media coverage only includes input from employers and economists who are business-friendly, never any interviews with union reps or workers themselves? The only media coverage I ever see that puts any blame on the employers are ones like this, where it is based on academic research, rather than corporate media reporting, which is all biased towards business and employers, who are their advertisers, and share their corporate-friendly perspective, rather than those of workers and unions.

If for no other reason, that they are unwilling to pay reasonably.

It's kind of ridiculous to consider workers as a "resource" and also expect them to have a positive view of your company. Companies that share the wealth and have humane expectations are thriving, Costco and Rei come to mind.

A friend of mine who is in his 60s and coasting towards retirement works for REI in Iowa and really likes that job.

I have applied for a number of positions through 'the system' and have been rejected. I applied for a job where I currently work and am now assistant manager before my 90 days. You know what? They interviewed me personally and took notice of what I do. Companies need to stop staring at screens and start noticing the people walking in the door wanting to work.

@TomMcGiverin when it comes to it, that’s what matters.

You have to like what your doing. Otherwise life will be very unpleasant.

@Holysocks No shit. Employers who really care about getting quality workers will be willing to go back to putting up Help Wanted signs, and actually talking to those who apply in person, instead of doing it all online. Time for them to experience some of the inconvenience they put us workers thru all those years when they held all the cards.

@CuddyCruiser So true. I hated most of the jobs I had while I was working, so I was always eager to retire once I inherited enough money to afford to retire, which I did three years ago. So I don't relate that well to people who refuse to retire and want to work until their health gives out, even tho they can afford to retire. I respect their choice, but it's not for people like me. I enjoy the freedom of never having to work, answer to other people like bosses or co-workers, make my own schedule, not have to deal with work politics, etc. In my experience, those who truly like their jobs are a minority in America, same as the line from Office Space uttered by the Jennifer Aniston character, that most people hate their jobs. To me, it seems like a lot of those that do like their jobs are very smug and judgmental of the rest of us that don't..

Besides work, or the lack of it, the other few things that can make life very unpleasant are poor health, poverty, or being in a terrible primary relationship, whether that is marriage or any LTR with a partner.

Perhaps the job seekers are asking for “too much money”.??? Good. I hope they go out of business.

Fuck ‘em.

I have no sympathy for the employers. They have been spoiled for decades with an abundance of wage slaves to hire and exploit, so they grew complacent with how they could structure the hiring based on that power imbalance and make the job descriptions and hiring criteria so rigid and overly-broad that they could make hiring like a boutique shopping purchase, all the way down to getting that "sweet spot" of what age employee they could get for the job, younger and cheaper being the general rule of thumb in who they prized. Fuck them if they are having problems hiring. They are butt hurt that the power has shifted some, finally, towards the workers, and the employers don't want to adjust to it and give up any of their power and advantage over workers in the hiring process. They also are the ones responsible for overly-automating the hiring process, another thing I hate, so they could save time and money, supposedly, and now they are paying dearly for that. I also remember how before Covid that employers would lie all the time and pretend to have more openings than they did, playing workers who were sincerely seeking jobs only to find out that the employers were advertising for phantom jobs that didn't exist, doing what was called talent banking to get a reserve stock of resumes and applications for jobs they might need to fill later with future openings from workers leaving. The practice was also just a way to keep HR people busy and justify their existence in the company while the company was not hiring very often.

I saw a recent example of this here in a moderate sized community. A fairly large Ford dealership advertised for a parts department manager who would also supervise a parts runner. The wish list of job requirements was so long and seemingly not relevant to the job duties that I thought it hilarious. All they did was to narrow this list of "qualified" applicants to zero.

They could just as well added "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" and " more powerful than a locomotive".

That could explain a lot of what is going on. It could be that and other things too. I work in a small town of 3,500 and my corporation has been known to take in $10,000 per day. There are 2 grocery stores that cannot hire or keep people and also smaller businesses like Taco Bell and Dollar General that have the same problems. At the start of the pandemic these places had workers and some of them hung on for a while. Now they are gone. People want to tell fantastic stories of phenomenal unemployment amounts that have kept these people from working. I don't believe that was happening. You do not quit the grocery store and start drawing $900 per week. That story does not remain valid once the unemployment stops. I knew some of these people. Now they are gone just like vanishing residents in a sci fi movie.

The only thing that does make sense is corporations adopting a fancy hiring software that is too far over the top. Perhaps they did so because minimum wage increased. The software app would guarantee that you had only the very best people and would now apply to everyone. More people are now excluded. I've heard my boss name a person he wants to hire but our corporation said no.

I agree that fancy hiring software is probably to blame for screening out qualified applicants. The companies should limit the number of job qualifications.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.