Agnostic.com

7 2

Consumers should throw away their Chinese phones and avoid buying new ones, Lithuania’s Defence Ministry has warned.

A report by its National Cyber Security Centre tested 5G mobiles from Chinese manufacturers.

It claimed that one Xiaomi phone had built-in censorship tools while another Huawei model had security flaws.

Huawei said no user data is sent externally and Xiaomi said it does not censor communications.

"Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid of those already purchased as fast as reasonably possible," said Defence Deputy Minister Margiris Abukevicius.

Censorship

Xiaomi’s flagship Mi 10T 5G phone was found to have software that could detect and censor terms including “Free Tibet”, "Long live Taiwan independence" or "democracy movement", the report said.

It highlighted more than 449 terms that could be censored by the Xiaomi phone's system apps, including the default internet browser.

In Europe, this capability had been switched off on these models, but the report argued it could be remotely activated at any time.

[bbc.com]

Petter 9 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's a link to a list of the very few phones that are not made in China. I was sad to learn that my Motorola 5g was not one of them. It's a great phone especially for the price. At least it has an American name even though it is a Chinese company.

[techthelead.com]

I believe that Motorola is now Chinese owned by Lenovo
[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks. I enjoyed the read.

I use Samsung, in the hope that while they fill them with wretched bloatware, like Twitter and Facebook and other useless apps I never use and can't delete, that they don't include Chinese spy ware and similar. Perhaps I'm naive.

No you probably have CIA & it's spawn the NIA [en.wikipedia.org]
embedded in it.

@FrayedBear Oh yeah, I hear they are into everything, according to Edward Snowden. I hope they are keeping tabs on my comments about the criminal history and activities of their agencies since WW2. The late 60s and early 70s period and their asset Charles Manson and his cult is of special interest to me. If they have a problem with that, they know where to find me, or where to send a drone. God Bless (Forgive) America!

@David1955 Bad enough that you have ASIO recording your every call.

There are non-Chinese phones?

A VERY few nowadays.
Early Nokias were made in Finland, but not now.

I only have a hard wire & this wretched Dell pc.

Aren't ALL phones made in China?

Precisely!

@Petter at least most of the parts that make this possible.

@MsKathleen and the built-in firmware of those parts.

@Petter yes.

Free Tibet!!

Long live Taiwan independence and the Hong Kong democracy movement!

(I'm just trying to see if my laptop was built in China, is all.)

Unless you commissioned it locally, it wS. Either way, the parts are from China.

.... Remember, almost all phones are actually manufactured in China, even those that are supposedly of European or American branding. So yet another western weakness is surfacing.
This is what comes of money driven company managers outsourcing stuff to China for the sake of profit and share price.

Do you have such shattering secrets to maintain that you are so paranoid Petter?

An Heinz 57 breed Australian I knew always used to throw into the phone conversation that he was sending the dynamite cases laden vamel down the road with the timer fuse primed to some poor unsuspecting soul, usually a politician or police chief in the the hope that ASIO would come a knocking.

How are you going with that nice Chinese phone that you extolled a few years ago. Is the post still there?

@FrayedBear Still using it. But I won't be buying their new models. China's government is now flexing its muscles, having achieved parts one and two of it's very long-term plan.

@Petter 1 & 2 - more like #55. They have long said that they will take the world over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.