Agnostic.com

14 27

Voltaire said, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

He was wrong. He should have said that when humans do not understand things and events and feel the need to do so for some sense of control, they invent a god or gods who do understand and control so that they can sense more control than they actually have. Then they can worship the god or gods and benefit from his mercy and wisdom.
In so doing them limit their grow in knowledge and understanding.

wordywalt 9 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who is going to a way of praising Humankind without those receiving it becoming Narcissistic.

A final word on this topic: prolix.

A masochistic God ?

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 26, 2021

I have also heard that man (or woman) creates g-d in their own image.
A kind, easy going person with such a delusion tends to speak of a loving g-d.
A vindictive person with a wide streak of cruelty?

Yeah. Like that.

And lo, it came to pass, he was invented.

All of them. Except old Sol.

Yes. There are two quotes i dislike, and that is one of them. The other is 'God is dead." No, never proven to exist, apart from in human projection. Human invention of gods was not borne of necessity, but as you suggest, human fear and ignorance in our species childhood.

We humans have invented a god for a sense of understanding because of the many things we do not know. This led into control as time progressed forward. I see theists as believing that they already have the answers and our life is a school to teach us about death. They claim your life only begins at death and cannot be happy with the life we have now.

Control asserted by the ruling class or of masters over slaves because the masses are thinking they are laying up "treasures in heaven" through obedience.

@BufftonBeotch I recall a time in my church daze when others thought these "treasures in heaven" included building material to build their mansion up there. How dumb can they get?

@DenoPenno Of course it was used on the church or the preacher's house in the meantime. Right?

The alphabet was invented by humans. It’s not real. Which alphabet? All of them! None of them are real. They’re all invented. If we didn’t have one, we’d need to invent it, or we’d just be another style of chimpanzee.
Apparently we’re the only species capable of inventing complex psychotechnologies.

skado Level 9 Sep 25, 2021

I don't know.
I have no idea what whales might be saying.

Since there has never been any evidence produced of a god existing, it was most definitely invented and is continually invented to this day.

Best of all the Inventers usually enjoy many monetary rewards.

Like Joel OΜΆbΜΆsΜΆcΜΆeΜΆnΜΆeΜΆ Olsteen

When they don't invent gods they invent conspiracy theories!

MizJ Level 8 Sep 25, 2021

for many its better they believe than live in fear. scared folks are even more dangerous than the overly trusting. my opinion.. let them have thier faith. could be worse.

The eternal damnation/lake of fire/eternal pain without dying is a far more fearful thing and motivation to harm the others and outsiders than mere death and release.

@BufftonBeotch not necessarily.

I like Voltaire’s explanation better! It’s more concise and on point....😊

So you agree that humans made up the gods they worship?

@xenoview Isn’t that self evident by the way religions evolve to meet current societal standards and needs....πŸ€”

God doesn't exist. Never did.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.