Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Destiny 2 and Valorant cheatmakers face lawsuit from Bungie and Riot - Polygon

I know this is old news, but it's the first I heard of it, so there.

Good news for video game players, except for those who are paying $90-$200 a month to cheat at those games.

'A cheating-software creator is facing a lawsuit dually from Riot Games and Bungie for producing hacks for Valorant and Destiny 2, among other video games, according to a complaint obtained by Polygon. Lawyers for Riot and Bungie filed the complaint in the Central District of California court on Friday, alleging that Cameron Santos of GatorCheats — as well as others — is trafficking in “a portfolio of malicious cheats and hacks.”

Bungie and Riot allege that Santos and the GatorCheats staff sell and distribute their cheating software through a website, but also via email, Telegram, and Discord. The software provided is specifically designed to go undetected by Riot and Bungie’s anti-cheat technology systems. Access to the cheating software ranges from $90 per month, up to $500 to lifetime access to the cheat. Lawyers allege that GatorCheats has made “tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars” from the cheats. (Valorant cheats are quite a bit more expensive than Destiny 2 software, according to the complaint.)

The software has different settings to allow players to tweak to their needs — like an “aimbot,” which improves a player’s aim, as well as cheats that show enemy health and equipment.

Bungie has previously issued a cease and desist notice to GatorCheats; the cheat-developer reportedly notified players that it would stop selling the software, but support the cheating system for those who already purchased it. Bungie’s lawyers allege that GatorCheats is still selling the software on a private portion of the GatorCheats website.

Riot and Bungie said that damages “may amount to millions of dollars” in harm caused to the companies by GatorCheats’ software. They’re looking to the court to shut down the operation, citing the alleged trafficking of cheating software and intentional interference in players breaching contracts, as well as unfair competition.'

The really astounding (to me, anyway) part of this was reading GatorCheat's advertising, which included a promise to keep their software up to date with all the publishers' anti-cheat software, so players "can keep cheating as it should be".

The way I was raised, cheating at games is exactly how it shouldn't be. But I guess those days are gone.

Paul4747 8 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I tell people that my favorite video game is using cheats and hacks, they often give me a funny look. But it's true! I love using cheats and hacks to make a game more fun for me. So what IS the difference between cheating and hacking? Hacking is unlocking all of the content of the game early with the use of a code or tool. Cheating manipulates the game so you can do things you normally can't do. All the best you can find on lavicheats.com. From there, I got all the aimbots and WH mods for CSGO.

So what you value is getting everything you want and winning without earning it.

Are you a Trump voter by any chance?

I don't care if someone wants to mod or hack during single player games or sessions, but cheating in a public lobby is a real scumbag move.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 4, 2021

Since both games (and many more likewise) are looter/shooters, even those cheating solo have an unfair advantage, since they can then bring the elite gear they acquire and use it versus other players without having earned it. There's no way around it, it's all cheating.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.