Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK New psychology research identifies a robust predictor of atheism in adulthood

Well this article and research seems to come down on the side of cultural and family background linked to atheism rather than intellectual attachment to science and reason. I'm wary of such research. I think family and cultural socialization affects some towards or away from religion, but I've known so many exceptions the causal link is tenuous at best. I think atheists come to their position in various ways. Maybe a weaker religious background is one, but I've known religious people whose family were not religious, and atheists who came from very religious backgrounds. I also happen to think that some atheists are just born that way and it's how their minds work, irrespective of background, and I think an affinity to history or science or reason and learning is a big part of that.

Any thoughts?

David1955 8 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My late partner’s mother encouraged her to question everything. The family was Iranian and moslem and she was the only girl with four brothers. From the time she could reason she thought religion was silly. I came from a family of 7 kids. We were raised Catholic but it was never pushed on us. I was in my 40’s before a pivotal event caused me to leave religion. All but one sibling became atheist at different times for different reasons.

Yes it just shows that family background as a predictor of religion is anything but certain and that people are complex and various factors influence people towards or away from religion.

I was born and raised in a very catholic family.
Indoctrination didn't take.
I remember sitting in church, listening to the priest's bible readings and sermon.
Even as a young child, I knew what he was saying made ZERO sense to me.
Even before I knew what an atheist was, I knew I didn't believe.

I'm exactly the same, and in my early teens I was reading about the historical Jesus, about atheism generally and read Bertrand Russell's excellent essays on the subject. My brain just didn't believe this stuff and never has. I think it's just the way I'm wired, and no matter how much religion I might have been born into it wouldn't have mattered.

@David1955 Same. I've got a pretty good bullshit detector.

Except for when it comes to romantic relationships. Then, I might as well be relying on a Magic 8 Ball.

@KKGator Ain't we all? 🙂

I lost my religion when I had kids. It didn’t make any sense to me that you would even entertain the ideas of your children to be tortured horribly for the rest of their lives if they didn’t obey me. It also made no sense that I would destroy them because they were homosexual. I’d still love them regardless

I came to be an atheist when they told me sex had to be sanctioned by god and the church!?! I was like,”Fuck that shit.....”😁

Yes, religions try to use sex as a way to manipulate and control people, but they stupidly fail to understand that sexually repressive beliefs repel far more people than they control.

I think your summation is more correct. I raised my kids atheist, and one decided her teen rebellion was to join the Faith Apostolic cult (Jim Jones' reorganized cult). Unfortunately, she's still drowning in koolaid.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully she'll come to.

What would be a credible exposure to and enhancement of religious beliefs? Just asking. I found that in the article and knew right away that the researchers were either believers or that they wanted you to be. It reminds me of a deluded debater on a You Tube site who did not understand why I would not give religion another chance because of "all the recent new discoveries." About what?

If Santa Claus is a myth then so is Jesus.

I was born in pretty much an atheistic family, My grandfather was an atheist, my dad was an atheist and my mom well, she really just taught us to believe in god and to know the difference between right and wrong.
She hated religion and figure we would find out about it when we got older and then we would have to learn to deal with it.
So, when it comes to god or gods, that is man-made and put into books, I am an atheist, but when it comes to whether or not there is a real god, I don't know, therefore I am agnostic.
I figure that if there is a god and it wanted us to know about it, it would present itself in a way that no one can dispute. So, until such a time occurs I'll just sit here on the top of my fence. I don't waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Nailed it! Don't waste your time.

I do not believe that some people are born atheists, per se. I do believe that genetic effects leave some people more analytical and truth-seeking in their intellectual development. That would increase their tendency toward atheism.

@wordywalt It's a really interesting question, and I'm not in any way dogmatic about, but I just can't help but suspect that some people are born wired in a way that predisposes them towards or away from religion, while many are neither and these make up the bulk of people who just go along with religion passively. Yes this suspicion is anecdotally based, but a lot of interesting research is being done on the psychology and neuology of religion and maybe more results with help.

You’re right, some people aren’t born atheist, ALL people are born atheist. It’s not until they learn or are taught religion that they become disillusioned with the need for religious ideologies.
Imagine if you will that all people were born into a world with NO religions whatsoever!? There would be no religions for them to gravitate towards, thus leaving them to create their own deity to worship, or be an atheist.
Most certainly some of these folks would indeed invent said deity, but all are born atheists nonetheless.

@TheMiddleWay Atheism is NOT a belief.....carry on....

@Buck Oh, really???????

@TheMiddleWay Define it however you want, I don’t give a fuck, everyone is born a non believer, use what ever word you wish to define that, I DON’T GIVE A FUCK.....😉

@wordywalt See my reply to the other ass on this post!!😉

You are correct. I was born into a Mormon family, and was raised to be a Moron (oops, Mormon). As a child, I had some doubts, but I stayed in the church for the sake of my parents, who would have been very disappointed if I left their church. In my late teens, I started doing personal research, and I discovered that Joseph Smith was a false prophet, because he wrote "revelations" and "prophecies" that failed to come true. I knew Moronism was false, but I waited until I moved out of my parents' home to abandon Moronism, so as not to disappoint my parents. My scientific study of the prophecies showed me that Mormonism was a scam. Now, I am very glad to be free of that scam. After leaving the Moron church, I applied science to the Bible, and discovered that the rest of Christianity is a scam, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:627138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.