Agnostic.com

47 5

What film would you say is under-appreciated?

I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Super Hero films and love what they are doing with them these days. CGI makes the FX very believable. One film I feel is under-appreciated is X-Men, Apocalypse. There's stuff not to like in it. I think it's very heavy-handed and takes itself too seriously. The villain is over-the-top and also takes himself too seriously. LOL! There is one scene, however, that I can watch again and again. There is a character called Quicksilver (Magneto's son, unbeknownst to him), who, as you can imagine, has the superpower of hyper-speed. In the scene, as Quicksilver arrives at Xavier's School for Gifted Children, a huge explosion has just erupted inside the mansion and is consuming it completely. The world slows down to how Quicksilver perceives it. The camera focuses on a bee in-flight, whose wings are flapping so slowly it takes several seconds for one "flap" to complete. Quicksilver then saves every single person inside the school from the explosive wave as it consumes the mansion. There are dozens of tongue-in-cheek moments as he repositions hair, tangos, saves fish, and a host of other rescues. He saves a bulldog eating a pizza, and the pizza too. It's just so well done. Quicksilver is a scene-stealer in Days of Future Past as well where he performs similar antics. You'll recognize him as a recurring performer in American Horror Story.

What film do you believe is under-appreciated, for whatever reason?

IAMGROOT 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll say Casablanca, only because there are so many people who refuse to watch it because it's in black and white (despite it being critically acclaimed).

These refusers!!! Philistines!

I know! That is ridiculous! The La Marseillaise scene is classic. It still makes me cry:

I rank it as the best movie of all time.

Soylent Green. It's never on the TV and rarely gets a mention, I think there's some great stuff in it and knowing the back story a little bit one of the scenes in particular is very poignant 🙂

Have you seen this?

@DerekD Fantastic! Thx for that 🙂

Sucker Punch.

On the surface it’s an action flick with attractive girl heroes.

Underneath that it’s a fantasy within a fantasy

Through it all is the theme of escape, both from reality and from restraint and confinement.

And it’s more complex than it’s first appears to be. Everything you see is the reflections at the moment before the main character is lobotomised.

That was a good movie

The Big Lebowski. I love that movie.

Hmmm. It is brill. But my experience is people know how brill it is. Maybe me and my friends are just exceptionally... deep.

Nice marmot:

This aggression will not stand......man.

The question was about under-appreciated movies. How many movies have the following of the Big Lebow? Even a Church with several ordained ministers. Stores dedicated to the movie only? THIS AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND... MAN! Not under-appreciated!

@GipsyOfNewSpain It got terrible reviews, but it was great and has stood the test of time, just like many Coen Brothers films.

@Wisewoman3 You are correct... bad reviews and not good theater earnings but slowly but surely became a cult movie that still is being talk about.

I remember "everyone hating" Last Action Hero and then "everyone loved" True Lies. Both Arnold films. The first had a kid side kick enter a movie world where movie tropes were made fun of. The kid kept saying, "This isn't real. Everyone's phone number begins with 555." Arnold would say, "That why we have area codes." I enjoyed each trope being called out. (This was over 25 years ago when trope spotting wasn't as ubiquitious as it is now).
So "everyone" hated it and was worrying that Arnold had lost his swing. Then True Lies came out and "everyone" said he redeemed himself. Me and my boyfriend hated it.
Has anyone seen both and can tell me if I missed what didn't work about LAH and what did work about TL?

I generally like Arnold films. I liked his over the top Golan Globus produced early films (Commando, Red Heat), and think he was born to play Conan the Barbarian. I was a fan of The Savage Sword of Conan comix. Terminator was another film I thought he was exceptional in, possibly because he didn't have many lines. LOL! Twins was great. He pulled off the genius musclehead thing well and was perfectly juxtaposed against DeVito. Last Action Hero and True Lies were both ok. I have to admit it's been a long time since I saw either one so I can't even speak to the trope thing. =]

I loved them both! I really don't understand why the first was so negatively reviewed.

I'm not sure how under appreciated it is, but young Frankenstein is one of my favorites, and I don't see it on any "funniest" lists.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Which one?

@IAMGROOT that's the title of the movie I think is under rated.

Which version? Danny Kaye or Ben Stiller?

I didn't realize there were two versions. I like the new one with Ben Stiller. I might have to find the original.

@IAMGROOT Danny Kaye's was really brilliant. (I haven't seen Ben stiller's yet.)

Ishtar.

One of the most highly criticized films in history. I think it’s HILARIOUSLY funny!!! I’m cracking up during the title/opening sequence, and don’t stop until it’s over.

I’m not alone though. There are others of us out there who love this movie. There was a recent documentary made about it called “Waiting for Ishtar.” A tribute to the film, it’s creators, actors, and fans.

Ishtar. I love it:

@Palindromeman I’m laughing so hard. I LOVE this movie! Thanks for posting that clip. Now I want to see it all. ?

Idiocracy

Scary because I think that might be the future...lol

@buzz13 Even scarier that it may be the present. ?

Oblivion (because it's a sci-fi Tom Cruise movies = crazy man in sci-fi movie; also Edge of Tomorrow but SkotlandSkye already mentioned it)

Final Fantasy: The Spirts Within (crap movie but the motion-capture special effects were amazing)

Quicksilver's scenes from Days of Future Past and Apocalypse are a lot of people's hightlights from those movies. I was disappointed in how Apocalypse looked (like Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers); especially when Ironhead Studios who designed other characters from that movie and Marvel movies showed off what their version would have loooked like. Start at 10:20 for Apocalypse character scuplt talk

Oblivion’s ending was garbage though. Cut the last 20 min, and you have a knockout.

Equilibrium starring Christian Bale

I love Equilibrium. The core of the plot is somewhat, shall we say, familiar, but the action sequences are simply awesome — and it deviates in a couple of ways from typical action films, which is nice. I'll watch the hell out of the final fight sequence, starting with the emotional-recording hookup. ("No, not without incident." — "Oh, shit" is right.) I should watch this movie tonight.

I made a "movie review" group and made you a moderator....so, now you have a place to post things like this . 🙂

The Edge of Tomorrow, Paul, Cargo, and Another Earth.
Absolutely none of my RL friends have seen these.

Edge of Tomorrow is hugely underrated!

I have only caught parts of Edge of Tomorrow, loved Paul!

@Donna_I Paul for President! Aw shoot he's not a natural born citizen....LOL. Great Movie

@buzz13 i might vote for that! Do you think he would come back? ?

@Donna_I I'll fire up my transduced interrometer trans-galaxy cell phone and call him, see what he says about coming back. But since the Vogons are the carrier service provider it will take a while, a lot of redtape to go through.

@buzz13 those blasted Vogons spoiling everyones fun! Need to grab my babble fish before they show up again...

@Donna_I Hahaha....cool

Ah! See, I thought you were mentioning a soap opera, "The Edge of Tomorrow Night...." my bad. 😛

The 'Porky's' trilogy, but let me explain. If you really watch, you see the frist film deals with child abuse and racism. The second one deals with racism, censorship and religious intolerance. The third one deals with correcting our youthful indiscretions. I reccomend you watch them to see what I mean. There's more than Miss Honeywell, or talking penises in the girl's locker room.

Hey man, you won't catch me hatin' on Porky's.

Haha. As a 13 year old, those finer points were lost on me.

@SurvivorSteph Forgot to mention that 'Porky's 2' also deals with religious intolerance and censorship as well.

@IAMGROOT How could you? It's a bigger classic than 'Gone With The Wind'

I have all the Porkeys movies and I agree about the messages in those movies that main stream society overlooked because it was to be a funny movie, not something to make you think into it other than what it was.

@mistymoon77 Agreed.

Hmmm......

'Snatch', with Brad Pit. Hilarious

'Big Trouble'. Zooey Deschanel stars as a teenage love interest.

This one is great, with such a star-studded cast, yet it never feels like anyone's lacking for screen time. It's wonderfully intricate, and situationally hilarious. Great choice!

'The Loved Ones' with Jonathan Winters and Rod Stieger. A very funny movie about big cemeteries like Forest Lawn.

I remember that one, Anjanette Comer starred with Robert Morse. Funny movie.

@buzz13 l had a crush on her. I thought it was great when Morse was on Mad Men.

Prometheus.

The Dark Crystal.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

I love Donnie Darko. One of my favorites

We were soldiers awesome movie and American history X

AHX, scary good.

Five easy pieces with Nicholson

Dune

Emme Level 7 Apr 22, 2018

Loved Dune.

@rakuman I'll have to do that again soon as well.??

Vanilla Sky, Running Scared, Sunshine and Anonymous.

Marz Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

Vanilla Sky is a poor Remake of a Spanish Film.

Oh for a second I thought you said Liquid Sky. "Me. Me and my. Me and my rhythm box..."
[sanfranciscoherald.net]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.