Agnostic.com

47 5

What film would you say is under-appreciated?

I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Super Hero films and love what they are doing with them these days. CGI makes the FX very believable. One film I feel is under-appreciated is X-Men, Apocalypse. There's stuff not to like in it. I think it's very heavy-handed and takes itself too seriously. The villain is over-the-top and also takes himself too seriously. LOL! There is one scene, however, that I can watch again and again. There is a character called Quicksilver (Magneto's son, unbeknownst to him), who, as you can imagine, has the superpower of hyper-speed. In the scene, as Quicksilver arrives at Xavier's School for Gifted Children, a huge explosion has just erupted inside the mansion and is consuming it completely. The world slows down to how Quicksilver perceives it. The camera focuses on a bee in-flight, whose wings are flapping so slowly it takes several seconds for one "flap" to complete. Quicksilver then saves every single person inside the school from the explosive wave as it consumes the mansion. There are dozens of tongue-in-cheek moments as he repositions hair, tangos, saves fish, and a host of other rescues. He saves a bulldog eating a pizza, and the pizza too. It's just so well done. Quicksilver is a scene-stealer in Days of Future Past as well where he performs similar antics. You'll recognize him as a recurring performer in American Horror Story.

What film do you believe is under-appreciated, for whatever reason?

IAMGROOT 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

first rule, keep your comment , briief and to the point.

Lord of the flies

That's one of my favorite books.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is highly underrated in my opinion

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Brazil

Until the End of the World, by Wim Wenders. Best New Year's Eve movie ever, and one of the greatest soundtracks I've ever heard.

Completely missed Apocalypse! Thanks for the heads up!
My list would include Princess Bride, Real Genius, and Willow.

Real Genius! Love that flick.

I don't know anyone who doesn't know about The Princess Bride. That's an all-time classic movie. Greatly appreciated by many.

@joeymf86 that makes me so Happy! I wasn't sure how widely it was well loved or if I had bubbled myself into believing it. 🙂

The curious case of Benjamin Button?

Great movie.

Fandango (1985) an early Kevin Costner movie. Coming of age.

I think the film '2010' is hugely underrated.

My daughter script wrote a film called 'Kicks' it was on general release its about teenage girls in Liverpool ,and their world. Apart from that I loved the film Tom Jones from the book of the same name -very quirky.

Good mother!!!

Rubber! At first glance it is a bad movie, but if you look deeper in the movie there is actual comedic scenes. There are also deeper plot points you can pull for the story.

"The Kid Stays In The Picture" I just rewatched last night, it is about a film maker making films. Every movie goer should see that film.

It's really hard too pic a specific film as there are so meany that are under appreciated in my eyes anyway as I'm a massive sifi fan

An 80's film called Get Crazy. A nice little bit of dumb fun with some big name musicians and actors like Lou Reed, Lee Ving from the band Fear, and Malcolm McDowell who plays a washed up, David Bowie'esque glam rocker.

I might have seen this film. Love Malcolm McDowell. I wonder if it's on Netflix? I can't remember it at all. LOL!

I remember seeing parts of Dark City on TV, and what I saw was pretty good. I would really like to watch it again. Also, there's an action movie called Equilibrium that would have probably done very well in theaters if it wasn't released at the same time as The Matrix.

You will hate this but CGI is overrated and any cgi heavy scene in any movie is kind of BLAH!

Why even bother commenting if you aren't going to reference a film YOU feel is underrated? Just stopped by to hate on CGI? Nice.

@IAMGROOT You welcome!

"Roll Bounce." Okay, it's not the greatest movie, but it is still under appreciated, given that most people have never heard of it. It's about teenagers in the glory days of roller skating in the late '70s, but it was made much more recently. The cast is almost entirely black, and seems to be targeting a black audience, which may be why it didn't get much recognition. There's teenage romance, family disputes, disco, and a desire to prove one's self in the climactic skating/dancing contest at the end.

I was skating in the 70s, skated last night too, in fact. LOL! =]

Zero Effect. This film is criminally under rated:

I love that movie!

@captainphilbo Outstanding. Like I say, criminally under rated.

Half Baked. 29% on RT... come on 🙂
Sure it´s a stoner movie, but among a lot of other classic stuff, it´s got a cameo by Bob Saget that turned my whole world upside down.

Denys Arcand's The Barbarian Invasions (Les Invasions barbares) 2003 Canadian film

Domino - based on a true story. I thought Keira Knightly did an amazing acting job.

Rubber! At first glance it is a bad movie, but if you look deeper in the movie there is actual comedic scenes. There are also deeper plot points you can pull for the story.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.