Agnostic.com

28 6

What do you embrace most about being an Atheist?

I like the fact that I can take responsibility for my own actions, not God or Satan. I also like the fact that I can embrace reality and have a true understanding that when things happen, it's not because the Universe is out to get anybody, but it is just one of those things that happens. Last but not least, I also like the fact I am free from any religious dogma and embracing my sanity. I protect my mind like it is sacred.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've never experienced the new freedom others have by shedding their religion because I've never been religious.
I do love not having old, perhaps lingering, habits from my religious days working back into my consciousness.

I'm so thankful I didn't grow up in a religious home. It gets annoying.

Short answer: freedom.

Slightly longer answer: The fact that I'm finally out from under oppression and control. The fact that I'm now able to think for myself.

Critical thinking, not believing in sin and sleeping in on Sundays

gearl Level 8 Dec 2, 2017

I like being succinct whenever possible. So, what I 'embrace' about being an atheist is the freedom from having to wade through knee deep bullshit.

That I can be human. I can make mistakes and not be threatened with eternal conscious torment for my "sins". I can trust myself to be myself and have that be okay. I can trust my emotions to be a helpful reflection of what's inside me rather than something to be managed and controlled. I can make decisions based on what I think is best rather than trying to figure out "god's will" through some mystical process. I don't have to spell god with a G. I can hike on Sunday mornings. I don't have to give 10% of my money to an organization that misuses it.

Freedom from irrational fear and from dogma.

Thinking. And not wondering what horrible sin I committed when something goes wrong.

I think that when you accept something on faith in one area of your life you're more likely to accept things on faith in other areas, too, so I feel like my reasoning is more consistent and more reliable overall. I guess that's what I embrace or value most.

The self satisfaction that I overcame the brainwashing that was thrust upon me from birth

Brainwashing is a horrible thing.

I embrace being comfortable with saying 'I don't know'. I find it hilarious that theists have such a hard time saying 'I don't know' about the Big Questions. I love that I'm not ashamed to admit when I don't know and put the burden of proof in its place in the theists hands for them to have to justify their bullshit beliefs. It causes them to become hesitant to say they know, and they are so uncomfortable with not knowing. It's very amusing.

Not having to get up early on Sundays.

Not feeling creeped out by the fact that I’m always being watched by god or dead relatives.

Finally having a definitive position. I was always on the fence about religion, leaning more toward not believing, and when I finally stopped trying to believe something that just didn’t make sense to me, it was incredibly freeing.

Being able to sleep late on a Sunday morning. Lol. Seriously, I appreciate the fact that atheists are kind to others without the fear of hell. We really are good for goodness sake.

Atheists do good because it's good to do good, and not just because a book tells them to.

I can set myself free from so much crap. it's such a relief.

I like that I am healthier mentally. I don't need to pray for things. I do it myself. I use my intelligence more, am a fast learner, I can think for myself, I speak my mind, and am skeptic of everything. I want to learn more. I'm an autodidact.

The ability to live my life as I please, and not what the herd expects of me. What I embrace the most about agnosticism is the immense Beauty of having a sense of wonder and embracing the unknown.

My free sundays

Lol I used to hate getting up in the morning.

I do not have to fear the possibility of being tortured in hell for eternity if I offend the man in the sky who loves us

The freedom to appreciate a full spectrum of information and discoveries; can’t say I ‘embrace it’ as much as I demand it.

Varn Level 8 Dec 2, 2017

I have a brain and i like to use it to do my own thinking. I do the right thing because it is the decent thing to do not because I am looking for a reward in the afterlife. I will curse a preacher or religious person who tries to force his views on me and tell him that god is a man made myth without the fear of going to hell.

I can also look at things without attributing anything that happens as coming from anything other than cause and effect. I attribute nothing to anything mystical, or luck.

The rejection of belief. Things are real if they can be shown to be true. There's no need to take someone's word for it.

I like the fact that things finally make sense now. Trying to have faith in a so called good supernatural being made it difficult to make sense of everything else.

i love the freedom. religion is a device for control . i am not being controled i am free to enjoy life without limitations . i also cherish my life more. i know when lifes over its over so i now reapect life much more. i cherish everyday i get. ive allso more smarter then i was when i was christain . i look at thangs from different points of view and learned the universe and life is so complex.

Could have not said it better myself! You do learn to respect life more.

I don't know if I embrace anything about being an Atheist specifically, maybe I'm misunderstanding the question though. I embrace lots of things that lead my to become an Atheist such as critical thinking, skepticism, humanism and curiosity. I also embrace the community that I have found in atheism both on this website and in my secular student group on campus.

It's like I came out of a fog. When I realized it was all just myths handed down over the ages, I came to the realization that things like karma, bumps in the night, evil spirits were all just things to scare us. I have very little to fear anymore. There's no one listening to my thoughts, if I accidentally catch a glimpse of some cleavage, I can enjoy it without the guilt.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.